[Eoas-seminar] [Seminar-announce] Scientific Computing Colloquium with Yuan-Nan Young

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Oct 26 15:51:32 EDT 2023

"Stoichiometric Model for the Microtubule-mediated dynamics of centrosome and nucleus"

Yuan-Nan Young
New Jersey Institute of Technology

Please feel free to forward/share this invitation with other groups/disciplines that might be interested in this talk/topic. All are welcome to attend.

Note: Zoom access is for non-departmental participants only.

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/94273595552
Meeting # 942 7359 5552

🎦 Colloquium recordings will be made available here, https://www.sc.fsu.edu/colloquium

Wednesday, Nov 1, 2023, Schedule:
* 3:00 to 3:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
☕ Nespresso & Teatime - 417 DSL Commons

* 3:30 to 4:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
🕟 Colloquium - 499 DSL Seminar Room

Abstract:
The Stoichiometric Model for the interaction of centrosomes with cortically anchored pulling motors, through their associated microtubules (MTs), has been applied to study key steps in the cell division such as spindle positioning and elongation. In this work we extend the original Stoichiometric Model to incorporate (1) overlap in the cortical motors, and (2) the dependence of velocity in the detachment rate of MTs from the cortical motors. We examine the effects of motor overlap and velocity-dependent detachment rate on the centrosome dynamics, such as the radial oscillation around the geometric center of the cell, the nonlinear nature (supercritical and subcritical Hopf bifurcation) of such oscillation, and the nonlinear orbital motions previously found for a centrosome. We explore biologically feasible parameter regimes where these effects may lead to significantly different centrosome/nucleus dynamics. Furthermore, we use this extended Stoichiometric Model to study the migration of a nucleus being positioned by a centrosome. This is joint work with Reza Farhadifar and Michael Shelley.

Additional colloquium details can be found here,
https://www.sc.fsu.edu/news-and-events/colloquium/1760-colloquium-with-yuan-nan-young-2023-11-01