[Art-instructors] FW: Review of FSU Libraries' maps collection

Keith Patterson kpatterson2 at fsu.edu
Mon Sep 16 14:43:58 EDT 2019

Hi all,

I'm circulating this message on behalf of one of my colleagues here at Strozier Library. Below please find a message from Jesse Klein, Social Sciences & Data Librarian. She is reaching out to gather feedback about the interest and usage of our maps collection for future review. Please consider taking a moment to respond to her survey, linked below as well. If you have any questions or feedback feel free to reach out to her directly at jrklein at fsu.edu<mailto:jrklein at fsu.edu>

Best,
Leah
Leah Sherman
Visual & Performing Arts Librarian
Florida State University Libraries
116 Honors Way
Tallahassee, FL 32306

We are reaching out to faculty to help FSU Libraries make decisions about our maps collection in the upcoming year.

If you are unfamiliar with our maps collection, here (http://guides.lib.fsu.edu/maps) is a guide to the collection that is located on the basement level of Strozier Library.

Some context: The collection includes Subject Maps, Historical Maps, Nautical Charts, Army Map Service Maps, USGS Topographical Maps, Atlases, and hundreds of geography/cartographical monographs. Although Strozier Library had several librarians dedicated to developing and managing the maps collection, the last of them retired in the mid-2000s. Since then, the collection has been mostly stagnant, with the exception of new print map additions being sent from the USGS automatically as part of our government publications collection.

In recent years, many academic libraries have significantly reduced or removed their maps collections because of the digital and online availability of maps, GIS files, atlases, and other related materials. Prior to making any decisions, however, we are hoping you might be willing to provide some feedback on your awareness of and/or interest in the collection. If you are interested, please visit the following link any time before November 15th to complete a brief (3-5 minute) survey: https://fsu.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9sH8p3ieJDyCNff