[Art-instructors] Art at FSU Job Posting for Assistant Prof in Sculpture

Keith Roberson kroberson at fsu.edu
Tue Nov 1 14:18:12 EDT 2022

Dear Colleagues,
The job posting for the Sculpture position is now posted on the FSU site. Please help us recruit by sharing it widely among your colleagues at other institutions and artists in your circles.
Thanks for your help, Keith

Assistant Professor, 9-Month Salaried Tenure Track (Department of Art, Specialization in Sculpture & Expanded Media)
Florida State University
Tallahassee, FL

We would like to invite you to visit our Careers site to learn more about this job.

DIRECTIONS:
1. Select the appropriate link below to access our Careers site.
2. Review the job description and click the Apply for Job button to begin your application.
3. Sign In to access your account, or click Register Now to create an account.

https://jobs.omni.fsu.edu/psc/sprdhr_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=53433&PostingSeq=1

If you are a current FSU employee, please use the following link instead:
https://cas.fsu.edu/cas/?&service=https%3a%2f%2fhr.omni.fsu.edu%2fpsc%2fsprdhr%2fEMPLOYEE%2fHRMS%2fc%2fHRS_HRAM_EMP_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL%3fPage%3dHRS_APP_JBPST_FL%26Action%3dU%26FOCUS%3dEmployee%26SiteId%3d1%26JobOpeningId%3d53433%26PostingSeq%3d1

Contact Employment and Recruitment Services at jobs at fsu.edu or (850) 644-6034 with any questions.

The posting reads as follows:

Department
The Department of Art at Florida State University invites applications for a full-time tenure track faculty position specializing in Sculpture and Expanded Media, beginning in the Fall of 2023. We seek an artist and educator with interdisciplinary research and creative practice.
This appointment begins in the Fall 2023/Spring 2024 academic year.
The Department of Art confers BA, BFA, and MFA (3-year) Studio Art degrees. Our top-ranked programs encourage interdisciplinary investigations across a wide range of concentrations spanning photography, digital media, painting and drawing, printmaking, artist books, ceramics, and sculpture. The department currently employs 20 full-time faculty. We are especially interested in candidates who will thrive at a public research university while contributing to our department’s cultural diversity and standard of continued excellence in the discipline. For more information, please visit https://art.fsu.edu<https://art.fsu.edu/>.
Florida State University College of Fine Arts is committed to building a meaningful community that values each person based on their distinctive and unique identity. The Department of Art strives to prepare students to imaginatively re-envision the world around us through critical inquiry. We are committed to humanized, interactive relationships between students and teachers and to creating learning environments that invite thoughtful and creative examination into the complex cultural, social, economic, and environmental issues with which our students are urgently engaged. Candidates with an interdisciplinary approach to sculpture at the core of their research and teaching practice are invited to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.

FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.
Responsibilities
This position will have responsibilities in research/creative activity, teaching, and service. Primary teaching responsibilities include a range of courses, from foundational to advanced, that address concepts and practices in contemporary sculpture and expanded media. This position has a teaching load of 2/3 courses per semester.
Qualifications
This position requires an MFA in Studio Art at the time of appointment or equivalent professional experience in the visual arts. Requirements also include emerging or established recognition in their field, a clear record of excellence in teaching, effective communication skills, and an understanding of a wide array of curricular and artistic methodologies. Knowledge of the history, criticism, and theories of visual art with a specific focus on sculpture and 3D making is required.
As an interdisciplinary department, we are interested in candidates whose practice incorporates installation, performance, sculpture, or community engagement. Skills in wood and metal fabrication are preferred, along with a wide-ranging knowledge of materials, digital tools, and technologies. Candidates must have experience teaching sculpture within an interdisciplinary context and possess knowledge of the evolving history, criticism, and theories of visual art.
The position provides opportunities for new course development according to the skills and interests of the candidate.
We are particularly interested in applicants whose creative practice engages discourses that have been historically under-represented. The candidate must maintain an active professional record, including external research support, exhibitions, and publications.
Two years of teaching experience beyond graduate student teaching is required.
Preferred candidates will engage with innovative visual approaches to include any combination of sculpture, digital fabrication, installation, performance, and/or cross-disciplinary collaborations.