[Seuce-cci] Question from U of South Carolina

Lisa Scott Lisa.Scott at cci.fsu.edu
Tue Nov 12 14:03:09 EST 2019

Hi all,

Danielle Varnedoe has asked that I post the following question to the listserv:

Here at the University of South Carolina we are wondering how other programs plan student external practicum placements.  At the SIG 11 presentation last year at ASHA, I heard several programs state that they only ask students for their preferred geographic location and the practicum coordinator/clinic director schedules a site based on the student’s competency needs.  Other programs allow the students to request specific types of sites (SNF versus in-patient hospital) as well as a specific site (name of hospital, SNF system, etc.).  If some of you would be willing to share how you plan external placements with your students I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks!

Please reply either to the listserv or to Danielle directly (daniell at mailbox.sc.edu<mailto:daniell at mailbox.sc.edu>)

Lisa

Lisa A. Scott, Ph.D. CCC-SLP, F-ASHA
Director of Clinical Education
FSU School of Communication Science & Disorders
201 W. Bloxham, Tallahassee, FL 32306-1200
850-644-9143 (ph)          850-644-8994 (fax)
2016 University Distinguished Teacher
Vice President for Professional Development, Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences & Disorders (CAPCSD)