[Law-envtlcert] Job Posting: Sierra Club Fellowship

Maria Ayn Jella Roxas jroxas at law.fsu.edu
Wed Aug 5 14:47:13 EDT 2020

Dear FSU Environmental, Land Use, and Energy Law Students,

Please see job posting below, targeting 3Ls and recent graduates.
Good day

-----

Employer
Sierra Club Environmental Law Program
Employer Address
50 F Street, NW
Washington, DC, District of Columbia 20001
United States
PHONE
(409) 234-4728
Name of contact person for this job post
Carlos Rivero
Title of contact person
Legal Assistant
Email of contact person
carlos.rivero at sierraclub.org<mailto:carlos.rivero at sierraclub.org>
Email to send applications if different than contact perso
elp.applications.dc at sierraclub.org<mailto:elp.applications.dc at sierraclub.org>
Title of position for which you are hiring
Environmental 2021-2022 Law Fellowship
Location(s) for which you are recruiting
Washington, DC
Compensation
Paid
Will a licensed attorney in good standing supervise this position?
- Yes
Level of students you wish to interview (current year in school)
- 3L
- Recent Graduates
Approximate job start date (month/year)
(Tentative due to COVID-19) 2021
Deadline to apply
- Cannot be today's date and must be before job start date
Aug 04, 2021
Please describe your job opportunity and list all hiring criteria here
The Sierra Club is the nation’s leader in grassroots environmental litigation. Since Sierra Club v. Morton, the Sierra Club has used the courts to fight for environmental protection at the national, regional, and local levels, giving citizens the means and legal expertise to enforce our hard-won environmental laws and protect our water, air, and wilderness. The Sierra Club Environmental Law Program (ELP) develops and prosecutes the legal strategies for the Sierra Club’s nationwide grassroots campaigns, which focus on promoting smart energy solutions, building safe and healthy communities, and protecting the nation’s wild legacy. ELP leverages all of the Club's tools of democracy by integrating legal advocacy with grassroots organizing, sophisticated communications, a state-of-the-art digital strategies team, and administrative lobbying. With the strength of our nation's first, largest, and most powerful environmental organization, the whole truly is greater than the sum of its parts.

ELP attorneys are at the cutting edge of climate change litigation. We work with our allies to reduce the environmental and public health degradation that flows from the lifecycle of fossil fuel use, ranging from destructive mining and fracking to combustion to disposal. At the same time, we advocate for the expansion of energy efficiency and renewable energy solutions. In the past few years alone, we have achieved tremendous public health and climate change benefits for many communities, including in particular for those engaged in environmental justice struggles.

ELP seeks law students passionate about public interest environmental litigation to assist with our strategic lawsuits. Fellows work on all aspects of litigation, including undertaking legal research, preparing written memoranda, and conducting factual investigation. Depending on the cases to which our fellows are assigned, students may also draft notice letters, briefs and other pleadings, attend court appearances, and work on discovery. During the course of the program, fellows typically work with several of the Club’s attorneys, thus gaining exposure to a wide range of litigation styles. Our fellows are encouraged to participate during weekly legal team meetings where we discuss our dockets and strategy.

The Sierra Club’s vision is for its staff, volunteer leaders, members, and supporters to reflect the communities of our nation. The Sierra Club is committed to creating a culture in which all people feel welcomed, respected, supported, and valued to fully participate. Find out more about equity, inclusion, and justice at the Sierra Club: sierraclub.org/equity.

QUALIFICATIONS: We look for candidates with excellent writing, research, and analytical skills, as well as solid interpersonal skills. An environmental law background is preferable, but not a requirement. In your cover letter, please address how your background has prepared you to contribute to the Sierra Club’s mission, including its commitment to advancing equity, inclusion, and justice.
Required Application Materials (please check all that apply)
- Resume
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
- Reference List
Please list any other details or special requests here
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, resume, references, writing sample, and law school transcript to elp.applications.dc at sierraclub.org<mailto:elp.applications.dc at sierraclub.org>. Please include in the subject line that you wish to apply for a fellowship position.
Preferred Application Method
- Email
NONDISCRIMINATION STATEMENT The Florida State University College of Law provides its students and graduates with equal opportunity to obtain employment without discrimination or segregation on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, veterans’ or marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or any other protected group status in accordance with all pertinent federal, state, and local laws on non-discrimination and equal opportunity. Therefore, The Placement Office's files, listings, assistance, and facilities are not available to any person or organization that discriminates against any person on any of the above grounds. The College of Law expects every employer who wishes to use the College's placement offices and services to observe the principle of equal opportunity reflected in this statement.

PLEASE INDICATE YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF AND COMPLIANCE WITH THIS POLICY BY SIGNING IN THE FIELD BELOW.
(Use your mouse to sign in the box below.)
[https://fsu.forms-db.com/signature_img.php?q=Zm9ybV9pZD0yOTQzNiZpZD0yMzQ4JmVsPWVsZW1lbnRfMzQmaGFzaD05MzdhYTkwZDhlOTY2NDkxMjAxYTFkNDNmMmU3ZWUxOA==]