[Isl] Looking for a course

Graham J McDougall Jr gmcdougall at fsu.edu
Tue Jun 8 14:08:03 EDT 2021

Hi Jean,

Good to hear from you and your interest in courses on aging.

We last spoke in 2019 during the time I developed a new course.  The course NGR 6511 Geriatric Mental Health with focus in Military and Veterans Health will be offered in the fall semester.

The graduate course is an on-line experience.

Syllabus for NGR 6511 Geriatric Mental Health
Fall 2021
Instructor Contact Information

Graham J McDougall Jr PhD, APRN, GNP-BC, PMHCNS-BC, FAAN, FGSA

Professor

Address: 98 Varsity Way, Tallahassee, Fl 32306-4310
FSU College of Nursing
Room # 102B Duxbury Hall
Office Hours: By TBA and by appointment
Email: gmcdougall at fsu.edu

Phone: 850-644-5292

Fax: 850-644-7660

512-809-9883 (Mobile)

Credit Hours and Prerequisites
Credit Hours: 3 semester hours
Prerequisites: none
Course meeting place: online and scheduled synchronous video conferencing meetings as posted in course calendar
Course Description:
This course examines mental health concerns of diverse groups including older adults and their families. Essential aspects of the course focus on the recognition of major psychiatric disorders affecting older adults in a variety of settings, including the aging Military Veteran populations and their families.
Course Objectives
By the completion of the course, the student will be able to:

  1.  Summarize and synthesize the behavioral/mental health challenges faced by older adults.
  2.  Describe and apply the means of assessing behavioral/mental health issues in older adults.
  3.  Differentiate between the various interventions and recommending/justifying the appropriate intervention given a specific case example.
  4.  Explain and contrast the different issues faced by older adults in special populations, including, for example, military veterans and their families.
  5.  Explain the barriers that older adults face when confronted with behavioral/mental health challenges.

Graham

Graham J McDougall Jr PhD, APRN, GNP-BC, PMHCNS-BC, FAAN, FGSA

Professor

He/Him/His

Florida State University

College of Nursing SCN 102B

Faculty Affiliate, Institute for Successful Longevity
Faculty Associate, Pepper Institute on Aging & Public Policy
https://nursing.fsu.edu/people/graham-joseph-mcdougall-jr

512-809-9883 (Mobile)

850-644-5292(Office)
850-644-7660 (Fax)