[HRMS] Document Retention for E-Verify Photo Matching

HR Important Message HR-FSUimportantmessage at fsu.edu
Tue Mar 19 08:59:52 EDT 2019

[Office-Human-Resources-V_for_email]

An important message from FSU Office of Human Resources

This message has been approved by Shelley Lopez, Program Director, Communications/Special Projects, for distribution to all Department Representatives.

Effective March 22, 2019, photo matching documents will no longer need to be submitted to HR for Employee Data Management review. When applicable, Guardian will prompt users to upload photo matching documents as required per E-Verify guidelines.
Employees have the right to present any acceptable document as long as the document(s) appear to be genuine and relate to the employee. A list of acceptable documents is provided on the I-9 Instructional Website<https://hr.fsu.edu/?page=edm/i9/i9_04_section_2>.

Photo matching is triggered automatically if an employee presents:

  *   Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
  *   Employment Authorization Document (Form I-766)
  *   U.S. passport
  *   U.S. passport card
E-Verify requires an image of both the front and back to be retained for most documents. If a U.S. passport or passport card is used, an image of the passport ID page and the passport barcode page should be retained. If an employee presents an acceptable document requiring photo matching within E-Verify, Guardian will notify the user that a copy of the document must be uploaded to proceed, as shown in the example below.

[cid:image008.jpg at 01D4DE32.1C6FB140]

After signing Section 2, the user will then be prompted to upload a copy of the document before the I-9 form can be marked as "completed".
[cid:image009.jpg at 01D4DE32.1C6FB140]

The University representative completing Section 2 of the I-9 must confirm that legible copies of the required documents are uploaded to Guardian to comply with E-Verify guidelines.

Documents used on the Form I-9 that are not required to be retained per E-Verify photo matching guidelines should not be uploaded or retained in Guardian.

Questions?  Please contact Christie Riley at cnriley at fsu.edu<mailto:cnriley at fsu.edu> or (850) 644-4915.