[Fla-facrl] Hurricane Preparedness Document

Sarah DeVille Sarah.DeVille at avemaria.edu
Tue Aug 27 14:16:38 EDT 2019

I knew we had a specific Hurricane plan. Here is the text from that document. Our building also becomes a shelter for faculty/staff who live in the surrounding area which presented its own set of challenges.

Response Procedures: Hurricane

Hurricane Watch Preparations

1. Director (in his absence, next alternate) will notify library staff to follow procedures to protect equipment identified in their hurricane preparedness plans.  Director (or alternate) should determine whether help is needed or if it is not necessary for additional staff to come to campus.

2. Library staff will cover certain vital equipment with plastic sheets or plastic bags if the storm is Category 3 or over.  Throw appropriate plastic over Rare Book and Special Collections book ranges and all computers if hurricane is Category 3 or over.

3. Flashlights and extra batteries are stored in supply cabinet.

Hurricane Warning: Evacuation of Canizaro Library

Upon official notification that a Hurricane Warning is in effect, the Director (or alternate), will close the Library as follows:

If notification to close occurs on a weekend or at night, the Director (or alternate) will carry out evacuation and closing procedures. If Director or alternates are not available or unable to come to campus, Library staff on duty will carry out evacuation and closing procedures.

a. An initial closing announcement is made and repeated once. If a deviation in the proposed announcement is necessary, it is determined at this time. Otherwise, the prescribed announcement is:

"A hurricane warning has been declared for this area.  At this time everyone should follow the University's protocol."
b. If necessary, the above announcement is made again in five minutes (10 minutes before closing) and repeated once.

c. If patrons are remaining in the library, the final announcement is made and repeated once at closing time:

 "The Library is now closed.  All unauthorized persons must leave the Library at this time.  A hurricane warning has been declared for this area.  The Library is not a public shelter and must be closed."

d. The doors to the Library are locked.

e. The Library staff make a check of the library, including the group study rooms, to be sure that everyone has left.
f. Someone remains at the Circulation Desk to watch for emergency personnel and answer the telephone while the final check is made.

g. Upon completion of the final check, the doors are re-checked for proper locking.

h. Call Campus Security at (239) 280-6289 to notify them of the procedures that have been carried out and that staff are leaving.

Equipment to be Protected

Although the safety of the staff takes priority over safety of the library and its contents, please make an effort to protect the library when possible.

Plastic sheeting is located in Preservation (Room 223) and the Supply Room in IT (Room 118).

The following is a checklist of equipment to be protected.  If equipment is in a room, the room should be locked after equipment has been placed in them.

Abbreviations: U= Unplug, C= Cover with plastic sheeting or plastic bag, if Category 3 hurricane or higher

a. Public PCs & service desk PCs-U, C
b. Flat screen TV at Circulation desk and connecting computer - U, C
c. Public printer/copy machines - U, C
d. Staff printer/copy machines - U, C
e. Rare Books and Special Collections book ranges - C
f. Periodicals - C
g. Book ranges - C
h. Microform reader-printer and connecting PC - U, C
i. Microwave, refrigerator - U
j. Television monitors - U, C
k. Items in staff offices will be taken care of by staff. Please secure items in offices of staff who are not on campus during this time.

All staff will leave as soon as required duties have been completed and Campus Security has been notified.

 Post Hurricane Procedures

FIRST ITEMS TO BE CHECKED:
A) Be certain of structural integrity of building before entering
B) Be certain of electrical conditions inside building
C) Determine condition of computers, printers, copiers, telephones and fax machine
D) Determine condition of library materials, i.e. books, journals, and microfilm

Sarah D. DeVille, MLIS
Head of Public Services
Ave Maria University
Canizaro Library