[FCLCA] FSU Assistant/Associate Dean Posting for Undergraduate Studies

Sara Hamon shamon at admin.fsu.edu
Sun Nov 6 09:58:43 EST 2022

Hello, FCLCA friends!  I have some exciting news to share. Effective on Friday, I will be moving to the Office of the Provost at FSU to work on accreditation and other special projects. My position is now posted on FSU’s HR website, and they hope to fill it ASAP this academic year. See details below and share with anyone who has expertise in academic support services. Terminal degree (or just about there) is going to be expected given the nature of this role working with faculty across campus. It is a great job with the best colleagues you can imagine.

Thanks – so glad to see this FCLCA organization is going strong!

Sara

Sara Hamon, Ph.D.
Associate Dean of Undergraduate Studies
Florida State University
University Center A, Suite 3600
Tallahassee, Florida  32306-2463
(850) 645-0852
Department

Florida State University seeks nominations and applications for Assistant Dean of Undergraduate Studies.

The Assistant Dean works alongside a dynamic team in the Division of Undergraduate Studies, nationally regarded for their work in student success. The university's four-year graduation rates are among the top in the nation for public universities, and disparities in graduation rates among Florida State’s diverse student body have been virtually eliminated. The university’s work in elevating undergraduate education has catalyzed its rising national profile, a top 20 public university ranking, and growth to nearly 80,000 first-year student applications for admission.

The Assistant Dean will oversee a variety of academic support services and success initiatives in the Division of Undergraduate Studies, as well as collaborate with numerous campus partners to enhance the student support and engagement we offer at Florida State University (FSU). As a University leader, the Assistant Dean will actively participate in University planning, implementation, and assessment focused on supporting student retention, success, and degree completion.

Equal Employment Opportunity

An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.

FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be accessed at: https://hr.fsu.edu/sites/g/files/upcbnu2186/files/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf.

Responsibilities

The position will provide dean-level oversight and direction for the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE). ACE is a university learning center focused on helping students develop the study skills and success habits necessary in a large research university and valued by future employers. ACE offers a student success course, free tutoring, personal academic consultations, and workshops throughout the academic year to support students through their academic journey at FSU. ACE also houses our Proactive Referral and Engagement Program (PRE). PRE is a faculty-based referral program that focuses on supporting students experiencing academic challenges. In their work with ACE, the Assistant Dean will work closely with campus partners to promote collaboration on academic support services and success initiatives across campus.

The Assistant Dean will also work closely with University Housing to provide academic oversight for our Living-Learning Communities (LLC). Our eleven LLCs offer a first-year engagement opportunity for incoming Freshmen to live together in a residence hall based on a shared academic interest. In addition, the Assistant Dean will help coordinate our High School Dual Enrollment program, oversee faculty credentials in the Division of Undergraduate Studies, serve as one of the liaisons in the Division for freshmen and transfer student orientation, and perform other duties to support student success at FSU.

Qualifications

  1.  Master's Degree required
  2.  Minimum of three years of experience working with academic student support/success initiatives.
  3.  Experience supervising faculty and/or staff.

Preferred

  1.  Doctorate or other terminal degree
  2.  Knowledge of and experience working with advising, tutoring, and/or learning support services for the general student population and those at some risk for attrition (e.g., academic probation, STEM majors in challenging courses, high school dual enrollment, etc.).
  3.  Knowledge of and experience with orientation, first-year student programming, and/or learning communities (ideally residential learning communities).
  4.  Knowledge of and experience with implementing and assessing initiatives focused on student retention and degree completion.
  5.  Knowledge of and experience with hiring, supervising, and evaluating faculty, including verification of teaching credentials.
  6.  Knowledge of and experience with course development and curriculum committees/course approvals.

Other Information

Anticipated Start Date: January 2023.

Contact Info

For questions regarding the position, please contact the Chair of the Selection Committee, Dr. Nikki Raimondi at nraimondi at fsu.edu<mailto:nraimondi at fsu.edu?subject=JO%20%2353499>. If you are experiencing technical difficulties with the application process, please contact HR Representative Heather Rushing at hrushing at fsu.edu<mailto:hrushing at fsu.edu?subject=JO%20%2353499>.

Dr. Nikki Raimondi
Associate Dean, Undergraduate Studies
Florida State University
University Center A, Room 3400