[FCLCA] Social Justice Statement from the Florida College Learning Center Association (FCLCA)

Ronald Johnson rjohnson at fau.edu
Mon Jun 22 14:27:08 EDT 2020

Dear FCLCA Members,

Recently, the National College Learning Center Association (NCLCA), issued a social justice statement - in response to the systemic racism that has been prevalent in our country for so long and the untimely death of George Floyd and so many others since then.  As the Florida College Learning Center Association (FCLCA) is an affiliate organization under NCLCA, we echo their position and stand in solidarity with them and our Students of Color throughout the state.  For so long, the lives of black and brown people have been significantly impacted by the injustices which are visible in so many facets of life - health care, education, etc.

At the core of our learning center roles, we have a duty to break down walls of inequality and provide students with an avenue of support and kindness.  As a learning center, it is paramount that we remember our ethical duties to cultivate an environment that is respectful to all.  Therefore, we must continue to be the change we want to see - in our lives, communities, and institutions.  As mentioned by NCLCA, we must do more to address our structures and best practices - which will align to serve the greater good.

While NCLCA works toward developing a guide that learning centers "can take to promote the principles of social justice and inclusivity on a practical level," FCLCA will conduct a series of sessions, beginning in the next few weeks, designed to help you and your organization address concerns that we are all grappling with today.  Some of the sessions will include - Diversity/Inclusion, reopening learning centers during a global pandemic, budgets and a few others.  We hope that you will find these safe spaces beneficial - where we may begin the dialogue that can help you during these times.  Please continue to watch your email for more information.

We have much work to do as we foster an environment that is inclusive to all - including our Students of Color.  Should your institutions host events, we encourage you to take the time to listen to what is being said.  Lastly, should you have Staff of Color, take a moment and check in with them.  This is a very difficult time, and many may be hurting more than you may think.

As we move throughout our days, remember the words of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. - "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

On behalf of the FCLCA Board,

Ronald Romances Johnson
Associate Director, Center for Learning And Student Success (CLASS)
Director, Academic Support Services
President, Florida College Learning Center Association (FCLCA)

Florida Atlantic University
777 Glades Road, GS(2), Room 223
Boca Raton, FL  33431
Phone 561.297.0945