[Eoas-seminar] Fw: EOAS Colloquium on Friday, Jan. 26 @ 3:00 PM

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Jan 26 10:15:37 EST 2024

Dear Colleagues,

This is a reminder that today @ 3:00 PM we will have an EOAS colloquium. Prof. Wing will be the speaker of today's colloquium.

Best,

Zhaohua
________________________________
From: Zhaohua Wu <zwu at fsu.edu>
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2024 11:28 AM
To: eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu <eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu>; info at coaps.fsu.edu <info at coaps.fsu.edu>
Subject: EOAS Colloquium on Friday, Jan. 26 @ 3:00 PM

Dear colleagues,

Here is the announcement of this week's EOAS colloquium:

Time: Friday, Jan. 26 @ 3:00 PM

Location: EOAS 1050 (regular EOAS colloquium room)

Speaker: Prof. Allison Wing, EOAS, Florida State University

Title: Acceleration of tropical cyclone development by cloud-radiative feedbacks

Abstract: A complete understanding of the development of hurricanes and tropical cyclones (TC) remains elusive and forecasting TC intensification remains challenging. This motivates further research into the physical processes that govern TC development. Here, I investigate the importance of radiative feedbacks in TC development and the mechanisms underlying their influence is investigated in a set of idealized convection-permitting numerical simulations.  I find that a “cloudy greenhouse effect” accelerates TC development, in which anomalous infrared warming in areas of deep thunderstorm clouds near the center of the TC drives rising motion in the storm, which helps moisten the atmosphere and aids in the formation of the TC’s circulation. Improving the representation of cloud-radiative feedbacks in forecast models therefore has the potential to yield critical advancements in TC prediction, but this requires a better understanding of these cloud-radiative feedbacks in observed TCs. Thus I also present ongoing work that investigates these processes using satellite (CloudSat) retrievals of cloud properties. Both the model simulations and satellite observations agree that ice clouds are the strongest driver of the radiative feedbacks, and that these feedbacks are particularly important in storms undergoing rapid intensification.

A Zoom link to the talk is available only by request.

Cheers,

Zhaohua