[Eoas-seminar] [Seminar-announce] Scientific Computing Colloquium with Liam Revell

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Jan 5 13:53:10 EST 2024

"Some observations about ancestral state reconstruction of discrete phenotypic characters"

Liam Revell
Professor of Biology,
University of Massachusetts Boston

Please feel free to forward/share this invitation with other groups/disciplines that might be interested in this talk/topic. All are welcome to attend.

NOTE: In-person attendance is requested. Zoom access is intended for external (non-departmental) participants only.

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/94273595552
Meeting # 942 7359 5552

🎦 Colloquium recordings will be made available here, https://www.sc.fsu.edu/colloquium
Wednesday, Jan 10, 2024, Schedule:

* 3:00 to 3:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
☕ Nespresso & Teatime - 417 DSL Commons

* 3:30 to 4:30 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
🕟 Colloquium - 499 DSL Seminar Room

Abstract:
Ancestral state reconstruction involves estimating the unknown internal node conditions of a phenotypic attribute mapped onto the tips of a reconstructed phylogenetic tree. In my talk, I'll introduce models of discrete phenotypic trait evolution on trees, describe different methods of statistical inference of ancestral states based on these models, address some limitations of ancestral character estimation using trait data, and consider several new character models, including a rate heterogeneous model and a hidden-rates (hidden Markov) model. Lastly, I'll apply ancestral state estimation to the analysis of parity mode and limb evolution of squamate reptiles.

Additional colloquium details can be found here,
https://www.sc.fsu.edu/news-and-events/colloquium/1766-colloquium-with-liam-revell-2024-01-10