[Eoas-seminar] Fwd: [UNOLS News] Apply to Sail on Expedition to Survey Gravity Rolls

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Aug 31 10:51:18 EDT 2023

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	[UNOLS News] Apply to Sail on Expedition to Survey Gravity Rolls
Date: 	Thu, 31 Aug 2023 10:19:39 -0400
From: 	UNOLS Office <office at unols.org>
To: 	early_career at unols.org, cruise_opportunities at unols.org,
unols_news at unols.org

Sent on behalf of Scripps Inst. of Oceanography

Apply to Sail on Expedition to Survey Gravity Rolls

When: Leave Honolulu, January 4, 2024; Arrive Papeete Tahiti, February
12, 2024

Applications Due: September 30, 2023

We are accepting applications to participate in a 6 week cruise aboard
the RV Kilo Moana to determine the origin of Haxby lineaments (Haxby
& Weissel, 1986), which are small, periodic undulations in the
gravity field above oceanic lithosphere. We will deploy 40 oceanbottom
magnetotelluric instruments to measure variations in mantle conductivity
in the lithosphere and asthenosphere, and to map the seafloor topography
and sonar backscatter, in a 200 km by 600 km area northeast of the
Marquesas islands in the Pacific Ocean basin.

We encourage applications from early career scientists with interests in
marine geology and geophysics. Shipboard duties include learning to help
deploy and retrieve magnetotelluric instruments, standing watch in the
scientist lab, and performing quality control on the multibeam sonar
data. Experience with UNIX, GMT, and MB_System would be helpful.

Travel support includes airfare from continental US to Honolulu and
return from Papeete, Tahiti.

To apply, send the following information:

    - Name and contact information.
    - Educational history (degrees and dates awarded), employment
    experience (including
    any internships). Two pages or less.
    - Why you want to participate in the expedition.

Send questions and applications to David Sandwell (dsandwell at ucsd.edu)
and/or Steven Constable (sconstable at ucsd.edu). The deadline to submit an
application is September 30, 2023.

UNOLS Office
School of Oceanography
University of Washington
O-206-685-9236
UNOLS
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.unols.org__;!!PhOWcWs!wz0xA6GFbHm2svWhuuFcyQ2fl8lvJqMA3pYzotMJKXAECzezgGIyvUo0coOIegXuQZQXsl5Y3lTyJbEm$>
--
News from the University National Oceanographic Laboratory System (UNOLS)
Newsletters can be found at