[Eoas-seminar] COAPS Short Seminar Series - Monday Feb. 7th at 11:00AM

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Wed Mar 2 08:51:11 EST 2022

These talks are usually scheduled for the first Monday of each month.
The first talk normally starts at 11:00AM.  Each talk is typically 12
minutes long (similar to many professional meetings), with 8 minutes for
questions.

These talks will be presented via Zoom, with the following connection
information:

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/98491660566?pwd=NzBxNzN4LzdsbSs4R3B6RzliOGhhdz09

Meeting ID: 984 9166 0566

Passcode: 478314

March 7th:

Renee Richardson: My Year as a Sea Grant John A. Knauss Marine Policy Fellow

Marine Policy Fellowship. I carried out my fellowship in the NOAA
Weather Program Office Observations and Disaster Supplemental programs.
I will be discussing how meteorology is a good fit for the fellowship,
my experiences in NOAA, as well as a look into the everyday tasks in the
Observations and Disaster Supplemental programs.

Heather Holbach: Operational SFMR Algorithm Update

primary remote sensing instrument on the Hurricane Hunter aircraft for
obtaining surface wind speed estimates in tropical cyclones.  This talk
will discuss the updates being made to the SFMR algorithm to improve the
accuracy of the wind speed retrievals at high wind speeds (≥ 100 kts).

Alexandra Bozec: The HYCOM-TSIS Gulf of Mexico reanalyses: new products
at 1/100º and 1/25º

These reanalyses are created at the demand of the Bureau of Ocean Energy
Management (BOEM) to be used with their statistical oil spill model
(OSRA). Both reanalyses are done using an identical set-up to be able to
compare the impact of the resolution on the circulation of the Gulf of
Mexico. In this presentation, I will describe this set-up, discuss a few
results (mostly sanity checks for now) and the data that will be
available once the simulations are done.

April 4th:

Xu Chen: