[Eoas-seminar] COAPS Short Seminar Series - Monday Feb. 7th at 11:00AM

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Wed Feb 2 15:46:53 EST 2022

These talks are usually scheduled for the first Monday of each month.
The first talk normally starts at 11:00AM.  Each talk is typically 12
minutes long (similar to many professional meetings), with 8 minutes for
questions.

These talks will be presented via Zoom, with the following connection
information:

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/98491660566?pwd=NzBxNzN4LzdsbSs4R3B6RzliOGhhdz09

Meeting ID: 984 9166 0566
Passcode: 478314

Feb. 7th

Tyler Sherrod: Flash Droughts in the Wake of Landfalling Atlantic
Tropical Cyclones

based off cumulative daily anomalies of soil moisture, precipitation,
and surface temperature. This allows for a more objective detection of
the onset and demise of a flash drought. This method is then used to
detect flash droughts that occur in the wake of landfalling Atlantic
tropical cyclones.

Marc Castells: Using SAMOS ship-based data to examine SST-wind stress
coupling across SST

(SST) and wind stress has long been observed in satellite-derived global
datasets. Model simulations in previous studies have determined which
combinations of certain characteristics (high/low latitude, high/low
wind speed across the front, and wide/narrow width of the front) should
enable which of three mechanisms (pressure adjustment, stability, or
Coriolis) to be dominant in the SST-wind stress coupling. This study
uses SAMOS data from ships crossing the Antarctic Circumpolar Current to
solve for a cross-front momentum equation along the ships' tracks. The
value of each term of this equation, and how it varies with distance
from the SST front, give an indication of which coupling mechanism is
dominant in each case. Cases can be categorized by their combination of
characteristics to draw comparisons with previous model studies.

Emily Powell: The 2021 Florida weather and climate annual review

the weather and climate for Florida in 2021. We will briefly look at
nationwide temperature and precipitation for the year and then take a
closer look at statewide and local level statistics and where 2021 fits
within long-term trends in our climate. We will also discuss the hazards
and severe weather that impacted Florida, as well as large-scale
patterns like ENSO that influenced our weather during the year.

March 7th:

Renee Richardson:

Heather Holbach: Operational SFMR Algorithm Update

primary remote sensing instrument on the Hurricane Hunter aircraft for
obtaining surface wind speed estimates in tropical cyclones.  This talk
will discuss the updates being made to the SFMR algorithm to improve the
accuracy of the wind speed retrievals at high wind speeds (≥ 100 kts).

Alexandra Bozec:

April 4th:

Xu Chen: