[Eoas-seminar] COAPS Short Seminar Series - Monday Dec. 5th at 11:00AM

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Mon Dec 5 10:07:17 EST 2022

These talks are usually scheduled for the first Monday of each month.
The first talk normally starts at 11:00AM.  Each talk is typically 12
minutes long (similar to many professional meetings), with 8 minutes for
questions.

We are moving to a hybrid talk format where the speakers are encouraged
to in-person at COAPS, but on-line talks are acceptable. In person and
on-line talks can be attended via Zoom:

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/98491660566?pwd=NzBxNzN4LzdsbSs4R3B6RzliOGhhdz09

Meeting ID: 984 9166 0566

Passcode: 478314

Dec. 5th

Carly Narotsky: Characterizing the diurnal cycle in Florida

variations of surface meteorology variables at observational stations in
the Florida Automated Weather Network (FAWN). The diurnal cycle analysis
employs Ensemble Empirical Mode Decomposition (EEMD) to isolate the
diurnal mode of variability. The aim of characterizing the diurnal cycle
across Florida is to improve our understanding of the routine
thunderstorms that occur almost every summer afternoon in Florida.

Anna Smoot: Examining the impact of high-resolution ocean surface
currents on observations and coupled air/sea modeling in the Gulf of Mexico

along with HYCOM data, are used in the WRF model to examine atmospheric
boundary layer response to currents. Emphasis will be on background of
the project, use of data flags, and the re-gridding process utilizing
cokriging which is a geostatistical technique. Next steps in WRF model
runs as well as anticipated boundary layer analysis from model output
will also be discussed.

Shawn Smith: Developing a User-Friendly In-Situ Marine Turbulent Flux
Data Service

data service. The focus will include why such a service is needed by the
community, the overall design concept, initial datasets to be included,
and a few graphics showing some of the initial capabilities of the
service prototype.