[Eoas-seminar] COAPS Short Seminar Series - Monday at 11:00

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Apr 30 13:12:36 EDT 2021

These talks are usually scheduled for the first Monday of each month.
The first talk normally starts at 11:00AM.  Each talk is typically 12
minutes long (similar to many professional meetings), with 8 minutes for
questions.

These talks will be presented via Zoom, with the following connection
information:

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/98491660566?pwd=NzBxNzN4LzdsbSs4R3B6RzliOGhhdz09

Meeting ID: 984 9166 0566
Passcode: 478314

May 3rd

Daneisha Blair: /Impact of surface roughness and temperature on the
motion of surface spill in the Gulf of Mexico/

resources and can be highly destructive to nearby wetlands and estuarine
animal habitats. Forecasting surface oil size, location, and movement
can be used to mitigate the damage resulting from an oil spill. In this
study, we investigate how surface temperature and surface roughness
caused by oil could impact oil transport under realistic environmental
conditions using a coupled modeling system. I will be discussing does
the role of the amount of oil on the ocean surface has a big impact on
affecting atmospheric and oceanic processes.

Michael Stukel: Thorium sorption kinetics and the biological carbon pump
in the Western Antarctic Peninsula coastal ecosystem

carbon into the ocean's interior.  In this talk, I will present results
from a six-month field campaign to understand carbon cycling in the
coastal ecosystem of the Western Antarctic Peninsula, and show how a
Bayesian model selection approach can be used to investigate thorium
sorption dynamics and quantify marine carbon flux.

June 7th

Renee Richardson: /A Newly Developed Form Drag Derived from Sea Spray
Influenced Surface Wind Stress at Hurricane Force Winds/

of the major physical processes impacting hurricane intensity. Sea spray
is suspected of playing a major role on the drag under hurricane wind
conditions. In this study, we investigate the impact of a newly
parameterized sea spray generation mechanism on drag, as well as total
surface stress, under hurricane force winds. I will be discussing our
findings on the spray influenced surface stresses.

TBA: TBA

TBA: TB