[Eoas-seminar] COAPS Short Seminar Series - Monday at 11:00

eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu eoas-seminar at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Apr 2 17:42:47 EDT 2021

These talks are usually scheduled for the first Monday of each month.
The first talk normally starts at 11:00AM.  Each talk is typically 12
minutes long (similar to many professional meetings), with 8 minutes for
questions.

These talks will be presented via Zoom, with the following connection
information:

https://fsu.zoom.us/j/98491660566?pwd=NzBxNzN4LzdsbSs4R3B6RzliOGhhdz09

Meeting ID: 984 9166 0566
Passcode: 478314

Mark Bourassa

April 5th

Parker Beasley: Validation of IMERG rainfall to monitor onset and demise
of the rainy season over Peninsular Florida

remotely sensed rainfall analysis for real time monitoring of the wet
season over the five water management districts (WMDs) of Florida. All
five WMDs have a significant fraction of the annual rainfall occurring
in the wet season. Therefore, monitoring and anticipating its variations
from year to year would be critical to manage water resources in the
WMDs.   In this study we analyzed the fidelity of the Integrated
Multi-Satellite Retrievals for Global Precipitation Mission version 6
(IMERG) late run at 12-hour latency and final run at 3.5-month latency
with respect to the rain gauge based analysis from the National Oceanic
and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Climate Prediction Center (CPC).
The 3.5-month latency product ingests a larger volume of data for
analysis and uses a more rigorous analysis technique, which would lead
to the anticipation of a better rainfall analysis than the former
12-hour latency product.

John Uehling: TBA

Yang Wang: Barotropic vorticity balance of the Ross gyre in B-SOSE data

Ross Gyre by analyzing the barotropic vorticity balance.

May 3rd

Daneisha Blair: TBA

Renee Richardson: /A Newly Developed Form Drag Derived from Sea Spray
Influenced Surface Wind Stress at Hurricane Force Winds/

of the major physical processes impacting hurricane intensity. Sea spray
is suspected of playing a major role on the drag under hurricane wind
conditions. In this study, we investigate the impact of a newly
parameterized sea spray generation mechanism on drag, as well as total
surface stress, under hurricane force winds. I will be discussing our
findings on the spray influenced surface stresses.