[Art-instructors] FSU Libraries updates for Fall 2020

Keith Patterson kpatterson2 at fsu.edu
Tue Aug 11 09:18:34 EDT 2020

Dear all,

I hope you are well and enjoying what's left of this summer! I am writing with ALL THE UPDATES from FSU Libraries on Fall 2020. I also wanted to highlight our FSU Libraries COVID-19 Updates and Resources<https://www.lib.fsu.edu/news/covid-19> as the best place to see current Library policies and services, as things do continue to change. Please don't hesitate to email me directly at LRSherman at fsu.edu<mailto:LRSherman at fsu.edu> if you have any questions or comments whatsoever!

  *   FSU Libraries Reopening
     *   Strozier Library will reopen to the public for limited hours starting on August 17th and Dirac will reopen for limited hours on August 24th. Hours here: https://lib.fsu.edu/hours
     *   Library buildings will be open only for individual study and pick up library materials. Only members of the FSU community may enter and a valid FSU ID is required.
     *   Anyone who enters any library buildings will be required to follow patron guidelines: https://www.lib.fsu.edu/news/reopening-guidelines.
     *   Browsing the general collection stacks is not permitted until further notice. To request a physical item from our collection please use Curbside pick-up or LEDS.

  *   Curbside pick-up will be available through the Fall 2020 semester. To place a request for curbside pick-up, please visit here: https://www.lib.fsu.edu/service/curbside-pick-up.

  *   The Library Express Delivery Service (LEDS) will resume delivery to academic department main offices on August 24th. All registered LEDS users will be able to choose either curbside delivery or office delivery. LEDS will NOT be picking up materials this fall - all users should return their books to a library drop box.

  *   ILL and UBorrow
     *   InterLibrary Loan (ILL) is accepting requests for articles and book chapters, but requests for print materials are still suspended.
     *   A limited version of Florida's UBorrow delivery system is up and running and we hope to expand soon. I feel comfortable advising that researchers can put in a request for books via UBorrow now, with the caveat that they might not be fulfilled (but also they might be!)
     *   We have recently restarted reciprocal borrowing with the Ringling Museum Library - use the "REQUEST" link in the library catalogue to request these titles.
     *   To find information about ILL, UBorrow, or LEDS, please visit this page: https://www.lib.fsu.edu/service/interlibrary-loan.

  *   Course Reserves
     *   Due to studies showing that COVID-19 can remain on print materials for up to 4 days, the Libraries will not have physical course reserves this fall. Please visit this page to find more information about course reserves scanning requests through our E-Reserves program: https://lib.fsu.edu/node/add/reserve-item-request
     *   If you need to place a course reserves request for streaming media, please visit this page: https://lib.fsu.edu/node/add/streaming-media-course-reserve-r

  *   Visual & Performing Arts Instruction
     *   This semester I will only be offering asynchronous learning objects introducing Arts researchers to library resources and research best practices, rather than my typical synchronous classroom visits. I have created two complementary resources I hope you will use in your courses - they are appropriate for all levels of researchers and are best when used together:
        *   I have created a Canvas modules for each major program within the College of Fine Arts - these research introduction modules cover the same content that I would offer in an in person class visit. They are all already in the Canvas Commons and ready for you to download today!
        *   I have also updated and expanded all Fine Arts Research Guides<https://guides.lib.fsu.edu/?b=s> to better facilitate online learning and research needs.
     *   For full information about my asynchronous instruction program this fall please see this doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/16TTz4216zxu3keraRytyIp7U1iL-EzynXLk3skwxOh0/edit?usp=sharing

  *   Visual & Performing Arts Reference
     *   Students and faculty alike are always welcome to email me directly at LRSherman at fsu.edu<mailto:LRSherman at fsu.edu> for anything library-related. There is no question too big or too small! Otherwise I will not be hosting open office hours this fall semester.

  *   Budget/Fiscal Year Information for Collection Development
     *   The FSU Libraries faces budget cuts for the 2020-2021 academic year and this means making difficult decisions about e-resources, databases, and physical collections.
     *   As we move into the academic year, please keep this in mind when asking for materials for the library to purchase. Consider prioritizing your requests based on immediate teaching and research needs.
     *   For requests placed this summer already: I am committed to approving these as soon as possible, and if you have not heard from me about a request you have placed as of the reading of this email you can assume everything is fine and it will be acquired. You will only hear back from me on materials requests when a request cannot be fulfilled or requires further conversation.
     *   Some good news: The Robert B. Bradley Grant<https://facsenate.fsu.edu/Robert-B.-Bradley-Library-Research-Grants> is again available for faculty and the deadline for this year's applications is October 9, 2020. If you would like to apply PLEASE email me sooner rather than later as I will need to see your completed application at least two weeks ahead of the deadline in order to write you a letter of support.
     *   Continue to use the materials suggestion form<https://lib.fsu.edu/materials-purchase-suggestion> on the library website for acquisitions requests. Be sure to fill it out as completely as possible to ensure accurate and timely review. Please note that RUSH is not a default option - it is very expensive and only for truly urgent needs such purchasing a book for course reserves. Email me if you have questions about this.
     *   This is literally all I know right now. As soon as I know more I will absolutely be in touch.
     *   I appreciate your understanding and patience during this time - all of this is far from ideal and I hate to start the new year on such a sour note!

Best,
Leah
Leah Sherman
Visual & Performing Arts Librarian