[Isl] City of Tallahassee Wellness & Retirement Conference May 3

Neil Charness charness at psy.fsu.edu
Wed Feb 16 15:16:26 EST 2022

Hi Folks:

Just wanted to put out a call for volunteers for and plant a seed about research ideas revolving around the City of Tallahassee's Wellness & Retirement Conference on May 3 of this year.

First, we could use one or more volunteers to lead breakout sessions.  I've agreed to be one breakout leader and it would be great to have another person deal with a topic related to our mission.  I'm planning to deal with ways to support brain health.

This conference is aimed mainly at city workers who are nearing normal retirement age and some who have already retired.  Maybe 150-200 people would attend (restricted numbers for the Turnbull Center venue). There is typically a keynote speaker (last year our very own Dawn Carr) and breakout sessions organized along themes such as Health/wellness, Finances, Active Living, and Longevity/ISL (yes, we get our very own segment).

Second, potential research ideas are to take advantage of this type of gathering to evaluate needs and desires of retiree prospects (and retirees), whether the city has addressed them a) in terms of keynote speaker, breakout topics, that is, evaluation research; and b) ideally, whether attendees and non-attendees (control group) differ on some outcome measures (is the conference effective).  I can see this as a potential topic for an ISL Planning Grant (interdisciplinary team), a Retirement Research Foundation application dealing with retirement themes, and thinking big, an NIA longitudinal study (e.g., think of the UK's Whitehall study of British Civil Servants;  City of Tallahassee has around 3000 employees).  The City is eager to collaborate with FSU on this type of project.

Incidentally, the City is setting aside up to 30-40 registration slots for FSU attendees.  So, it might be useful to attend it if you are thinking about research study ideas.  Callie will have the relevant information about registration once it opens for registration.

Best, Neil

Neil Charness, Ph.D., William G. Chase Professor of Psychology
FSU Distinguished Research Professor
Director, Institute for Successful Longevity www.isl.fsu.edu<http:// www.isl.fsu.edu>
Department of Psychology, Florida State University
1107 West Call Street, Tallahassee, Florida, USA 32306-4301
Phone (office): 850-644-6686; Fax: 850-644-7739
E-mail: charness at psy.fsu.edu<mailto:charness at psy.fsu.edu>; http://www.psy.fsu.edu/~charness/
Please Note:
Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written business communications to or from FSU staff and/or any public college or university employee are public records, available to the public and media upon request. Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.