[Art-instructors] Teaching Orientation 2023 - August 22

Celeste Ivory mivory at fsu.edu
Tue Aug 15 08:39:56 EDT 2023

Hello!

I hope this email finds you well as we approach the start of the fall semester.

I want to let you know that we plan to hold the annual Fall Teaching Orientation on Tuesday, August 22nd from 8:45 am - 12:30 pm. We will provide some bagels, fruit, other refreshments, and coffee in the morning. Please note that we will not be providing lunch since we plan to end early. This orientation contains training that is required by the University for all instructors who will be teaching any class in 2023-2024 academic year. All GTAs must attend this orientation every year in order to keep their teaching award.

Please be sure to reserve this date and time for this required training. We will also provide some information on several new initiatives, departmental and legislative updates.

As a reminder this orientation was originally designed for those teaching in Foundations but has since grown to include others since we cover information required for all instructors. To minimize the time and extraneous information, much of the Foundations-specific information will be included in a teaching handbook that I spent the summer creating.  For anyone teaching in another area, there is a lot of good information in the handbook that is applicable to any class, but some of it is Foundations specific. I’m happy to share it with all.

Even though much of it will be in the handbook, there are some Foundations initiatives that I do want to spend a little time on:

  *   Non-majors in our classes
  *   Our new reading initiative. This fall it is an excerpt from Time Travel: A History, by James Gleick
  *   Art into Words (new initiative)
  *   Research Dossiers that will accompany student submissions for major projects
  *   & briefly, the handbook

The basic agenda is attached.

—> Faculty, please reach out to any adjuncts or GTAs in your area to be sure they plan to attend this event and receive the required training. Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing everyone in a couple of weeks!

[cid:d592ea53-0a9c-4556-bb58-8b58f815b02a]

All my best,
Anne

Anne Stagg
Associate Professor, Department of Art