[Seuce-cci] Corona Virus

Maya Clark mclark at georgiasouthern.edu
Tue Mar 10 16:01:04 EDT 2020

Good afternoon
We are following the directive of the CAA and CFCC. The message shared with
programs Mar 6 is below. I hope it helps.

Sent on behalf of Nancy Alarcon, Chair of the Council on Academic
Accreditation on Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CAA), and Jo
Puntil-Sheltman, Council for Clinical Certification in Audiology and
Speech-Language Pathology (CFCC)

The CAA and CFCC are continuing to evaluate the situation related to the
Coronavirus/COVID-19 and its potential impact to academic programs.

We have received several questions regarding CAA’s response to programs
that experience operational disruptions (e.g. university closures, clinical
site restrictions, etc.). The CAA supports the efforts of programs and
institutions to determine the best alternatives for graduate students to
complete their degree requirements (including academic courses and clinical
hours) if the current conditions disrupt normal operations. As your
institution and program determine the specific requirements for graduation,
the CAA’s expectations are that programs continue to provide opportunities
for knowledge and skills to be developed, and that programs are confident
in the competencies of their graduates to enter the workforce.

Additionally, we understand that your universities and programs are
wondering how this might impact your students’ ability to meet
certification requirements. As such, the CFCC is providing the following
specific guidance regarding the use of telepractice, telesupervision, and
clinical simulation with graduate clinicians:

   - SLP and Audiology programs are permitted to count clinical hours
   earned through telepractice as part of their required supervised clinical
   practicum hours, including those earned after 1/1/2020.
   -  SLP programs are allowed to use clinical simulation for up to 75
   hours of clinical hours.

Please note that external regulatory requirements beyond the CAA and CFCC
should be considered as you engage in contingency planning. To better
assist you in that planning, we also strongly encourage you to consult with
your university, institutional accrediting agency, and state’s
regulatory/licensure guidelines as well as United States Department of
Education policies.  The following resources may help you in your planning:

·         Centers for Disease Control and Prevention https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.cdc.gov/__;!!PhOWcWs!lHHe4Evw9aK1QhHPmWqcLVNL2dy0GfByal8105dVg7RrrO9j-tTMeq8CrTtxCOjOE7NzAQ$
Coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

·         United States Department of Education

   - https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ed.gov/coronavirus__;!!PhOWcWs!lHHe4Evw9aK1QhHPmWqcLVNL2dy0GfByal8105dVg7RrrO9j-tTMeq8CrTtxCOhU650dFw$
   -
   https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://ifap.ed.gov/electronic-announcements/030520Guidance4interruptionsrelated2CoronavirusCOVID19__;!!PhOWcWs!lHHe4Evw9aK1QhHPmWqcLVNL2dy0GfByal8105dVg7RrrO9j-tTMeq8CrTtxCOgpR8smHg$

This situation is evolving, and we will continue monitor the situation as
one of our top priorities. Soon we will publish a question and answer
document to provide more information. Please feel free to share this
information with your faculty and administration. Don’t hesitate to contact
us at kmoore at asha.org or tphilbrick at asha.org, if you have specific
questions.

Kind Regards,

Kimberlee Moore, Director of Accreditation (https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://caa.asha.org/__;!!PhOWcWs!lHHe4Evw9aK1QhHPmWqcLVNL2dy0GfByal8105dVg7RrrO9j-tTMeq8CrTtxCOik2NJQ-w$ )
Todd Philbrick, Director, Clinical Certification (
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.asha.org/certification/__;!!PhOWcWs!lHHe4Evw9aK1QhHPmWqcLVNL2dy0GfByal8105dVg7RrrO9j-tTMeq8CrTtxCOiw1IaqjQ$ )

--

*Maya R. Clark, PhD, CCC-SLP*
Associate Professor

Communication Sciences and Disorders Program
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://chp.georgiasouthern.edu/rehabilitation/undergraduate-majors/communication-sciences-and-disorders/__;!!PhOWcWs!lHHe4Evw9aK1QhHPmWqcLVNL2dy0GfByal8105dVg7RrrO9j-tTMeq8CrTtxCOga2SUazw$ >
Georgia Southern University, Armstrong Campus
Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, Department #4902
11935 Abercorn Street
Savannah, GA 31419
912-344-2606 (office)
912-344-3439 (fax)

The RiteCare Center for Communication Disorders
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.armstrong.edu/academic-departments/ritecare-center__;!!PhOWcWs!lHHe4Evw9aK1QhHPmWqcLVNL2dy0GfByal8105dVg7RrrO9j-tTMeq8CrTtxCOizMDCpOw$ >
Georgia Southern University, Armstrong Campus
Department #4903
Armstrong Center, Suite 25
13040 Abercorn Street
Savannah, GA 31419
912 344 2735

People. Purpose. Action.
Growing Ourselves to Grow Others.
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.armstrong.edu/Health_professions/rehabilitation_sciences/rehab_sci_ritecare__;!!PhOWcWs!lHHe4Evw9aK1QhHPmWqcLVNL2dy0GfByal8105dVg7RrrO9j-tTMeq8CrTtxCOjc2gbBsA$ >