[Law-envtlcert] Reminder - Fall 2020 Distinguished Lecture today!

Whitney Borkowski wborkowski at law.fsu.edu
Wed Oct 21 08:35:47 EDT 2020

[cid:image002.jpg at 01D6A785.2B9B5F20]

FSU Fall 2020 Distinguished Lecture: Lee Anne Fennell

The FSU Program on Environmental, Energy, and Land Use Law is proud to welcome our Fall 2020 Distinguished Lecturer: Lee Fennell, the Max Pam Professor of Law at the University of Chicago.  Her lecture, Visibility and Indivisibility in Resource Arrangements, will take place today, Wednesday, October 21, from 3:30 - 4:30 pm over Zoom<https://fsu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwtdeyrpj8iH9Ar66OR1MJpzfws-wpKw1Ic>.  The lecture is free and open to the public, and CLE credit will be available.

Please register for the Lecture in advance using this link: https://fsu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwtdeyrpj8iH9Ar66OR1MJpzfws-wpKw1Ic.  For more information about CLE credit, please contact me, Whitney Borkowski, at wborkowski at law.fsu.edu<mailto:wborkowski at law.fsu.edu>.

[Lee Fennell]Professor Fennell specializes in property, land use, and housing law, as well as state and local government law, torts, social welfare law, and public finance.  She is the author of The Unbounded Home: Property Values Beyond Property Lines (Yale University Press 2009) and Slices and Lumps: Division and Aggregation in Law and Life (University of Chicago Press, 2019), as well as many articles and essays.  Before joining the University of Chicago Law faculty in 2007, Professor Fennel taught at the University of Texas and the University of Illinois, and she has also held visiting positions at Yale Law School, NYU School of Law, and the University of Virginia School of Law. She received her JD magna cum laude from Georgetown University Law Center in 1990.  Before teaching law, she was a Bigelow Teaching Fellow at the University of Chicago and practiced at Pettit & Martin, the State and Local Legal Center, and the Virginia School Boards Association.

Visibility and Indivisibility in Resource Arrangements sheds light on dilemmas in which a valued resource only retains value if it is left undivided:

Projects like highways, bridges, pipelines, and wildlife corridors exhibit indivisibilities-we need the whole thing to have anything of value.  Many environmental and social goals have a similar all-or-nothing character: staying above or below a certain critical threshold can make all the difference.  This talk focuses on the role of visibility in addressing resource dilemmas that have this all-or-nothing structure. I examine how two visibility-enhancing factors can help avoid catastrophic consequences and pursue desirable ones. The first involves recognizing when an indivisibility is present-that is, appreciating the vulnerability of resources to thresholds and cliff effects before it is too late.  The second involves seeing how individual decisions about resources stack together to generate outcomes, which can enable people to identify and pursue focal solutions.  When a resource problem suffers from poor visibility-its shape is ill-defined and contributions to addressing it are not well segmented-finding ways to clear the view can improve the prospects for cooperative solutions.

Approved for 1 CLE credit (General) and 1 Real Estate Certification credit - reference number 2006814N

Please, let me know if you have any questions. We hope to see you at 3:30!

Thanks,
Whitney Borkowski
Executive Assistant | Dean's Office
Florida State University College of Law