[Law-envtlcert] FW: Opportunity for Students: Hearing next Thursday on Florida Youth Climate Lawsuit

Shi-Ling Hsu shsu at law.fsu.edu
Sat Sep 29 14:18:02 EDT 2018

Dear Certificate students and/or ELS members:

I am forwarding to you a message I received from an attorney with Our Children’s Trust, an organization that is bringing a lawsuit in the State of Florida on behalf of young people to force some action to avoid climate change. I won’t try to summarize her message, but will highlight the fact that a hearing on a motion to dismiss will take place next Thursday at the Leon County Courthouse at 1:30 pm. See below and attached.

Shi-Ling Hsu

Dear Dean Hsu,
My name is Allison Kole, and I’m an attorney with Our Children’s Trust, a non-profit working to elevate the voice of youth seeking to secure the legal right to a stable climate system. I am writing to ask if you would be able to attend and share an event with students and professors at FSU College of Law, which I think could be a great learning opportunity for students, in particular.  I've read some of your work, and I also think you may have professional interest in this case as well as the federal youth climate case.

The event is a hearing on the Florida government's motion to dismiss in Reynolds et. al v. Florida<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ourchildrenstrust.org_florida&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=uGGGbmUSleSJUVhvzj7BDQ&m=MOgGxHWzQS368bz5RJa_V2f-NhEDDtVSOi8PCMMjqBA&s=yeEZQYJVDJV2ZSS2gvj52yoDCnhA2kclRdjCGIn-L4g&e=>.  These oral arguments will touch on important issues of interest to law students and professors alike including state sovereign immunity, political question doctrine, and the public trust doctrine.  This case is also a great example for how health and science can be integrated into impact litigation.

The hearing and press conference will take place Thursday afternoon October 4th beginning at 1:30 pm (line up starting at 1pm) at the Leon County Courthouse, 301 South Monroe Street, Tallahassee, Florida 32301
https://www.facebook.com/events/227994191383110/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.facebook.com_events_227994191383110_&d=DwMFaQ&c=HPMtquzZjKY31rtkyGRFnQ&r=uGGGbmUSleSJUVhvzj7BDQ&m=MOgGxHWzQS368bz5RJa_V2f-NhEDDtVSOi8PCMMjqBA&s=Hr4G3qqtW-wZ_20NNOZaOoz7b9Gt5mb4e-cwSZPsGzM&e=>

Would you be able to share this event listing with students and professors?  It may be short notice, but do you think there would be any interest from professors in having students attend for class credit?

A press conference after the hearing will also show how youth can be change agents in our judicial and democratic system, and they are quite the public speakers! I am happy to talk with you more about the case and more about what I see as learning opportunities around the hearing if you are interested.
Thank you,
Allison Kole
--
Allison Kole