[Law-envtlcert] environmental certificate courses

Shi-Ling Hsu shsu at law.fsu.edu
Thu Jul 12 13:21:17 EDT 2018

Dear environmental certificate students:

As many of you already are aware, Professor Markell was diagnosed with cancer earlier this summer. The all-important good news is that Professor Markell's treatments are going well, and we are all hopeful of getting him back.

For those of you who signed up for his Environmental Law class, you have probably already received a notice from Associate Dean Manuel Utset that the class is being canceled. His thinking seems to be that Environmental Law will be offered in the spring, when we hope Professor Markell will be back to teach it, or we can find a substitute. That does leave a slight imbalance in the course offerings, as between fall and spring (the below is very tentative, because Associate Dean Utset may still make changes):

Fall:
Administrative law, 3 sections: Seidenfeld
Disaster law seminar: David
Practicing environmental law in Florida: Lichtstein
Real estate finance: Weidner
Seminar in natural resources law: Hsu

Spring
Coastal & Ocean law: Hsu
Land Use law: Wiseman
Practical Skills and land use: Godelia
Energy law: Wiseman
Energy & Environmental and Land Use Legal research: McCormick
Environmental Law: Markell or TBA
Florida Administrative Law (TBA)

One thing is for sure for just about every student, not just certificate students: you should take advantage of Professor Seidenfeld's offering of Administrative Law in one of three sections this Fall, because it is unlikely that Admin Law will be offered in the Spring.

We are considering recruiting an adjunct professor to teach Environmental Law in the Fall, in lieu of Professor Markell's offering. But that remains tentative. Please stay tuned, and we will try to keep you updated.

Shi-Ling Hsu
D'Alemberte Professor of Law and Associate Dean for Environmental Programs
Florida State University College of Law
425 West Jefferson Street, Tallahassee, FL 32306-1601  //  tel: 850-644-0726
ssrn: http://papers.ssrn.com/author_id=182577  //  website: http://myweb.fsu.edu/shsu/