[Law-envtlcert] FW: FSU 2-Min Climate Change Video Competition

Shi-Ling Hsu shsu at law.fsu.edu
Tue Aug 29 17:26:22 EDT 2017

Environmental Certificate folks:

See below for a fun competition from FSU Sustainable Campus - create a 2-minute video to tell someone about climate change!

Shi-Ling Hsu
D'Alemberte Professor of Law and Associate Dean for Environmental Programs<http://www.law.fsu.edu/academics/jd-program/environmental-energy-land-use-law>
Florida State University College of Law

Climate change is the crisis of our time. FSU Sustainable Campus believes that our university should inspire in young people the desire and skill to alter the political fabric and to facilitate change that could make a difference to the global community years from now. We are looking forward to seeing student videos that will inspire and encourage Florida to make more informed decisions on climate change-so whether it's leading a divestment campaign; supporting sustainable businesses; being involved in community theatre or volunteering along the coast, students can send in their amazing videos, get noticed at Florida State and maybe be one of this year's winners! Information below:

Show Your Work to Florida Climate Leaders and Win Cash Prizes

Deadline is September 19

Competition guidelines: http://fsu.floridaclimateinstitute.org/images/FSU-FCI-StudentVideoCompetition.pdf

How do we communicate the impact of climate change to people who don't see it every day? How do we communicate the science of climate change to people who don't study it in school? The Florida Climate Institute is giving college students the opportunity to tell their climate change perspective, win a cash prize and show their work to climate leaders by entering the 2-Minute Climate Change Student Video Competition. The deadline for entries to the competition is September 19, 2017. You must be a student at Florida State University in order to enter.

*        Students are encouraged to form a team with fellow students in different majors or studies. (You don't have to be a science major to create a video! How does art inform solutions? What about writing, music, food, medicine, hospitality?)

*        Illustrate how science informs solutions, but do it in a unique and engaging way.

*        What are the challenges that climate change brings to communities, society and the world?

*        What strategies or processes can we implement that will help us?

*        Students can use their phones, their own equipment, or borrow video equipment from FSU Libraries: https://www.lib.fsu.edu/borrow-equipment
Communicating the science or impacts of climate change in a video-format to a broad audience builds support for climate change, promotes understanding of its wider relevance to society, and encourages more informed decision-making at all levels, from government to communities to individuals. It can also make the science of climate change accessible to audiences that traditionally have been excluded from the process.

Submissions will be judged by a panel of FSU faculty in the science and communications fields on Tuesday, September 26 at the Student Life Cinema (http://calendar.fsu.edu/event/climate_change_and_you#.WaWeOCh9670) . The top two videos chosen will compete in a state-wide competition.

Thank you so much for reading this message. We'd really appreciate it if you forwarded it along to FSU colleagues, friends, and interested students. If you have any questions, please reach out!