[Law-envtlcert] FW: [Envalum] FW: Greetings and a few announcements from Florida State Univ. College of Law

Markell, Dave DMarkell at law.fsu.edu
Wed Jul 15 11:42:53 EDT 2015

Dear Environmental Certificate and Environmental LL.M. students,

Greetings from the College of Law.   I hope your summer is going well.   I have pasted below a link to our Summer 2015 Environmental, Energy, & Land Use Law Newsletter, which reviews our slate of activities during the 2014-2015 year, lists recent faculty publications, and recognizes student and alumni accomplishments. http://law.fsu.edu/docs/default-source/academics/environmental-newsletter.pdf
[cid:image002.jpg at 01D0B8C1.1A0071A0]A few brief updates that may be of particular interest:

  *   A New Faculty Colleague. We are very pleased that Professor Erin Ryan, a leading environmental law and federalism scholar, has joined our faculty.  Professor Ryan is the author of many scholarly works, including Federalism and the Tug of War Within (Oxford University Press 2012).  She has presented widely in the United States, Europe, and Asia, has advised National Sea Grant multilevel governance studies involving the Chesapeake Bay, and consulted with multiple institutions on developing sustainability programs. Professor Ryan served as a Fulbright Scholar in China, where she taught American law, studied Chinese governance, and lectured throughout the country.
  *   Our symposium volume, Environmental Law Without Congress, is now available. The College of Law's Journal of Land Use & Environmental Law volume featuring articles from our symposium, entitled Environmental Law Without Congress, is now available. This volume includes articles by many leading scholars, including Richard Lazarus, Howard and Katherine Aibel Professor of Law, Harvard Law School, Environmental Law Without Congress; Todd S. Aagaard, Professor of Law, Villanova University School of Law, Using Non-Environmental Law to Accomplish Environmental Objectives; William Funk, Lewis & Clark Distinguished Professor of Law, Lewis & Clark Law School, David and Goliath - Taking on OIRA; J.B. Ruhl, David Daniels Allen Distinguished Chair in Law, Vanderbilt University Law School, Does Congress Exist?; Janet K. Swim, Professor of Psychology, Penn State University, John Fraser, PhD AIA, President & CEO, New Knowledge Organization Ltd., and Nathaniel Geiger, Professor of Psychology, Penn State University, Teaching the Choir to Sing: Use of Social Science Information to Promote Public Discourse on Climate Change; and Shi-Ling Hsu, Larson Professor, Florida State University College of Law, Introduction: Environmental Law Without Congress. The volume also includes An Ode to the Clean Air Act, by Ann Carlson, Shirley Shapiro Professor of Environmental Law, UCLA School of Law, in connection with Professor Carlson's Distinguished Lecture.  The volume will be available electronically soon via our website.

  *   A New Student Scholarship Endowment: Thanks to a generous contribution, the College of Law recently announced creation of a $200,000 endowment for scholarships for our J.D. students studying environmental law and our Environmental LL.M. students, which will be known as the Terry and Linda Cole Environmental Law Scholarship.

Thanks very much and best wishes for an enjoyable and productive summer.

Dave Markell

David L. Markell
Associate Dean for Environmental Programs
& Steven M. Goldstein Professor
Florida State University College of Law
425 West Jefferson St.
Tallahassee, FL 32306