[Isl] ISL Faculty Affiliate Dawn Carr interviewed on social isolation and older adults

Willard Edmonds btedmond at fsu.edu
Fri Apr 3 12:23:25 EDT 2020

[cid:20a639e2-30d7-4b4a-898c-295c1846bfc3]
Professor Dawn Carr

Ending visitation at residential homes and shuttering nearly all gathering places could have a devastating effect on the people many of the measures are meant to safeguard: older adults, who are already at risk of isolation and loneliness, warns FSU Professor of Sociology Dawn Carr, a Faculty Affiliate of the Institute for Successful Longevity.

“There’s a lot of evidence that social isolation and loneliness is one of our greatest public health challenges that we face, and here we are in a situation where that’s the only thing that might save us,” Carr, who is also with the Pepper Institute on Aging and Public Policy, told The News Service of Florida in a telephone interview.

You can read the interview at https://isl.fsu.edu/article/coronavirus-isolation-dilemma-senior-citizens-says-isl-faculty-affiliate-dawn-carr

Bill Edmonds, Ph.D.

(850) 933-7960

[cid:e9ca8332-0c21-476b-8037-4d42f6d911df]