[Isl] FW: NSF Dear Colleague Letter on Research Protection

Neil Charness charness at psy.fsu.edu
Thu Jul 11 17:20:28 EDT 2019

Hi Folks:

"Interesting" NSF letter to read and comment on below.  I suspect that this is in response to warnings already raised by NIH, e.g. https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/04/us-universities-reassess-collaborations-foreign-scientists-wake-nih-letters.

We walk a very fine line here between providing value for and safeguarding taxpayer money and running the risk of alienating foreign-born scientists (I'm one) whom we value and collaborate with, and who are properly disclosing all conflicts of interest but nevertheless becoming objects of suspicion.  In the current xenophobic climate, we need to be very careful indeed.

We live in interesting times.  Feel free to provide feedback to the letter.

Best, Neil

Neil Charness, Ph.D., William G. Chase Professor of Psychology
Director, Institute for Successful Longevity www.isl.fsu.edu<http://www.isl.fsu.edu/>
Department of Psychology, Florida State University
1107 West Call Street, Tallahassee, Florida, USA 32306-4301
Phone (office): 850-644-6686; Fax: 850-644-7739
E-mail: charness at psy.fsu.edu<mailto:charness at psy.fsu.edu>; http://www.psy.fsu.edu/~charness/