[HRMS] Social Media Reminder

HR Important Message HR-FSUimportantmessage at fsu.edu
Thu Jun 18 10:39:43 EDT 2020

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D6455C.E5BE2580]

An important message from FSU Office of Human Resources
This message has been approved by Renisha Gibbs, Associate Vice President for Human Resources and Finance & Administration Chief of Staff, for distribution to Department Representatives.
Florida State University is a diverse and inclusive community with a longstanding tradition of respect for the dignity and worth of each person. We recognize the importance of informed debate, while also embracing the values of civility and ethical conduct. FSU is committed to upholding a community standard of demonstrating respect for others, regardless of the venue. University employees play an integral role in ensuring that every member of our campus community feels safe and respected. All University employees are protected under the First Amendment and may exercise their right of freedom of speech.
Human Resources does not monitor the private social media accounts of University employees, and the expression of personal beliefs on these accounts is not prohibited. However, it is our job to investigative complaints made by others about the content shared on these sites. Also, it is important to remind employees that certain unprotected expression could compel action by the University.
Individuals should avoid using statements, photographs, video, or audio that reasonably could be viewed as inciting violence, threatening, fighting words, obscenity, defamatory speech, or harassment. Examples of such conduct might include offensive posts that encourage others to commit an illegal or violent act or that could contribute to a legally actionable hostile work environment on the basis of any recognized protected group status.
In accordance with policy 4-OP-H-14<https://policies.vpfa.fsu.edu/policies-and-procedures/technology/mobile-and-social-media>, the University reserves the right to investigate complaints about social media posts that call into question an employee's ability to execute fair and equitable judgment on the job. It is our duty to uphold the values of the University. As such, employees should use good judgment.
Department Representatives - please distribute to department employees.
Questions? For staff, please contact Tracey Pearson at tvpearson at fsu.edu<mailto:tvpearson at fsu.edu>. For faculty, please contact Rebecca Peterson at rpeterson at fsu.edu<mailto:rpeterson at fsu.edu>.