[Fla-ffb] Friends bookstores

Faye Roberts faye.roberts at comcast.net
Sun Feb 12 16:09:12 EST 2012

June,

As others have explained, even not-for-profits are required to collect sales tax if they are conducting taxable events, such as three book sales a year. Technically it’s the customer who is charged the tax; the Friends organization is responsible for collecting the tax and remitting it to the FL Dept. of Revenue.

Part of the confusion about sales tax arises from the fact that Friends groups may be exempt from paying sales tax on merchandise the Friends group buys for the library. That’s a separate matter from collecting sales tax. Friends groups are required to charge sales tax on items sold, unless the sale meets certain requirements (e.g. no more than 2 sales in a 12-month period).  Available from FLA website is a 2-page document that includes (on Page 2) a brief summary of when Friends groups must collect and pay sales tax.  You’ll find this document at

http://www.flalib.org/friends_found_board_files/Legal%20 <http://www.flalib.org/friends_found_board_files/Legal%20&%20Tax%20Considerations%20upd%202011.pdf> &%20Tax%20Considerations%20upd%202011.pdf

Friends, Foundations and Boards Member Group leader Deb Hohler has described the excellent resources developed by Stetson University Law staff. These materials were the basis for the outstanding workshops Stetson law librarians provided throughout the state last October and are a wonderful resource for Friends groups with questions about tax and legal issues. The materials are available on FLA’s Friends page at http://www.flalib.org/friends_found_boards.php

Best regards,

Faye C. Roberts, Executive Director

Florida Library Association

www.flalib.org