[Fla-facrl] Job Posting - NSU Oceanographic Campus Library - Librarian I (STEM Experience Not Required)

Jaime Goldman hjaime at nova.edu
Fri Sep 29 10:04:32 EDT 2023

Dear FACRL Colleagues -

Nova Southeastern University's Guy Harvey Oceanographic Center<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nova.edu/ghoc/index.html__;!!PhOWcWs!1qMfm-JWtZik_r4MfRawN2VXMBnQHH32gR-GeZbpilU9atAcu3aMLC4OW-oHY2ykcQoV23aOO2ug-bez3zh0Ww$ > (GHOC), located in Dr. Von D. Mizell - Eula Johnson State Park<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.floridastateparks.org/mizell__;!!PhOWcWs!1qMfm-JWtZik_r4MfRawN2VXMBnQHH32gR-GeZbpilU9atAcu3aMLC4OW-oHY2ykcQoV23aOO2ug-bf096ybew$ > in Dania Beach, Florida is hiring an entry level academic librarian to work in our Oceanographic Campus Library<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://libguides.nova.edu/friendly.php?s=oclibrary__;!!PhOWcWs!1qMfm-JWtZik_r4MfRawN2VXMBnQHH32gR-GeZbpilU9atAcu3aMLC4OW-oHY2ykcQoV23aOO2ug-beNeTFVFA$ >.  This position is responsible for providing professional reference service to all NSU-affiliated library users, both local and distance; for recommending materials for selection for the reference collection as well as specified subject areas; for providing assistance and instruction to the university community in current research methods and library resources; and for providing documentation to assist in teaching.

This rare opportunity offers a plethora of special benefits that are unique to this position:

  *   Work in a world-class marine-research facility that specializes in coral reef, fish populations, physical oceanography, deep-sea, and marine genetics and genomics research.
  *   Work closely with graduate students in their thesis and dissertation journeys.
  *   Work as a liaison with fascinating and engaged faculty and researchers!
  *   Our hours of operation are Monday-Friday 8am - 6pm and Saturdays by appointment only.  No late night shifts!
  *   This is a small niche library<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://libguides.nova.edu/friendly.php?s=oclibrary__;!!PhOWcWs!1qMfm-JWtZik_r4MfRawN2VXMBnQHH32gR-GeZbpilU9atAcu3aMLC4OW-oHY2ykcQoV23aOO2ug-beNeTFVFA$ > with a staff of 3.5.  We are small but mighty - 2 librarians, 1 senior library assistant, and a part-time work-study - provide reference and instruction services to our GHOC faculty, research staff, and graduate and undergraduate Marine & Environmental Science students.  This facility is not open to the public.
  *   Growth happens fast!  Our career ladder for librarians allows you to be eligible for promotion to a Librarian II within 2 years and a Librarian III 5 years later.  Both previous long-term librarians at the Oceanographic Campus library were promoted beyond that and are still working within the NSU library system.
  *   Your office is 75% glass windows overlooking Port Everglades and the Atlantic Ocean.
  *   Listen to speakers from all over the world speak on a range of biological and environmental topics in our state-of-the-art auditorium located within the GHOC.
  *   Volunteer opportunities available to you include rescuing sea turtles, tagging sharks, advocacy for environmental education efforts at Tortuga Music Festival<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://tortugamusicfestival.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!1qMfm-JWtZik_r4MfRawN2VXMBnQHH32gR-GeZbpilU9atAcu3aMLC4OW-oHY2ykcQoV23aOO2ug-bfl_p6jHA$ > (read: Free Concert Tickets!), and participating in GHOC sponsored beach cleanups.
  *   The Oceanographic Campus Library is a part of the larger NSU library system<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nova.edu/community/libraries.html__;!!PhOWcWs!1qMfm-JWtZik_r4MfRawN2VXMBnQHH32gR-GeZbpilU9atAcu3aMLC4OW-oHY2ykcQoV23aOO2ug-bfrPF4sQQ$ >, including our unique joint-use Alvin Sherman Library<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://sherman.library.nova.edu/__;!!PhOWcWs!1qMfm-JWtZik_r4MfRawN2VXMBnQHH32gR-GeZbpilU9atAcu3aMLC4OW-oHY2ykcQoV23aOO2ug-bc87adrhQ$ >.
  *   Benefits at NSU<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.nova.edu/hr/orientation/new_hire.html__;!!PhOWcWs!1qMfm-JWtZik_r4MfRawN2VXMBnQHH32gR-GeZbpilU9atAcu3aMLC4OW-oHY2ykcQoV23aOO2ug-be6_lNeLA$ > are great!
You do not need a science background for this position.  Having a passion for the environment and an interest in learning this subject area is the only requirement outside of your MLS!

For more information and to apply, please visit: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://nsucareers.nova.edu/en-us/job/504771/librarian-i-oceanography-library-993600__;!!PhOWcWs!1qMfm-JWtZik_r4MfRawN2VXMBnQHH32gR-GeZbpilU9atAcu3aMLC4OW-oHY2ykcQoV23aOO2ug-bcJMfoTvg$

Please share with any interested parties!

If you have any questions about this opportunity, please email oclibrary at nova.edu<mailto:oclibrary at nova.edu>.

Thank you,

Jaime

Jaime M. Goldman
Associate University Librarian for Public Services
Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center
Office (954) 262-3681
hjaime at nova.edu<mailto:hjaime at nova.edu> | nova.edu<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://nova.edu/__;!!PhOWcWs!1qMfm-JWtZik_r4MfRawN2VXMBnQHH32gR-GeZbpilU9atAcu3aMLC4OW-oHY2ykcQoV23aOO2ug-bcNkkTb8g$ >

[cid:image002.png at 01D9F2B7.72178020]