[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 3.24.25

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Mar 24 15:37:27 EDT 2022

Congrats to Alum DP James Laxton,  (BFA 03) ASC for his ASC Award win over the weekend, for his work with Barry Jenkins on "The Underground Railroad." https://deadline.com/2022/03/asc-awards-2022-winners-list-american-society-of-cinematographers-1234982757/

Looks like Barry Jenkins, Adele Romanski and Mark Ceryak Barry and Adele will be executive producing the new season of True Detective for HBOhttps://leedaily.com/2022/03/22/true-detective-season-4-release-date-speculation-cast-updates-news/

Thanks to some of his classmates, I just learned that Michael T. Pacheco, (MFA 00) passed away May 22, 2021, at his home at near Fish Lake, WA.  You can read his obituary at https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/spokesman/name/michael-pacheco-obituary?id=10088406

From Oualid Mouaness (MFA 97) ‘: "1982 The Film opens in Vancouver, Canada on APRIL 1st. VIFF Centre VANCITY THEATER Dear Friends, please spread the word... Get your tickets - Experience it on the big screen. In Person Q&A on April 2nd- Abbout Productions Soapbox Films Ginger Beirut Productions Lucid Post #TricycleLogic The Gotham House Of Film Distribution Vancouver International Film Festival #TricycleLogic Nadine Labaki"

My name is Amy Elmore. I wrote a feature film: "Pretty Girls Don't Cry." The vibe is: I, Tonya meets Girl, Interrupted. My co-writer, whom I wrote with,  penned a screenplay that went to Cannes. So far we have one investor. He invested in the Coen brothers first film and loves our script. It’s based on my life in the modeling business. We want to make the film and put it into film festivals and hope to get it picked up by Netflix or Amazon, or PrimeVideo. Here's the synopsis: After being brutally raped on a shoot by a famous drummer in Tokyo, Violet buries the assault and turns to the modeling world. She poses for magazines: Cosmopolitan, Seventeen, and Elle - just to name a few. But the world she was about to dive into was nothing like she had imagined from the pages of the magazines she idolized, but one full of addiction, heartache, straight jackets, and only being given a chance to be seen and never heard.  I'm looking for a director. Please email me if you're interested. There will be pay but it is an indie film.  email: amyelmore43 at gmail.com<mailto:amyelmore43 at gmail.com>

From C.M. Reese Little (BFA 10) “ I just wanted to reach out and let you know that I was selected as a tv writing mentee for the 2022 Hillman Grad Mentorship.

https://deadline.com/2022/03/hillman-grad-sets-class-of-22-creatives-for-second-annual-mentorship-lab-1234979015/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/deadline.com/2022/03/hillman-grad-sets-class-of-22-creatives-for-second-annual-mentorship-lab-1234979015/__;!!PhOWcWs!j88vUa1v-DrQbDRHWEagrmzzDplr4yryKMBs34eQ-hnevTiH-JjlB6xyG2oQLjuZpq131ks$>

From Scott Frymire (BFA 96) “I have a favor to ask. If you could kindly vote for my company, Proton.ai, for this award, it would be a HUGE help: https://www.isapartners.org/innovation.../finalist-voting/<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.isapartners.org%2Finnovation-impact-award-peoples-choice%2Ffinalist-voting%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0uIiKyrk41cCuUWHeWTWLAY9pJs4kZLEWApSM_Ljp6Fe840kLSjKjtCSQ&h=AT1WbT9653Cds3KKM9wLH4oFCqq-vxmh1Sy4zRxhTyoYMc6NcjsuAZzRJLkiCC2ImCn2zJ_DmM55Tk6CHQYrnY3wr80wESn0FJ1iwyji4N2_BXfmbtAAI2qiIdy-p7TqGZx_h_St3UTDmZ93dVnbM9A&__tn__=-UK-R&c%5B0%5D=AT0ttT6L-vx1ERi_S8yaRPVyv7hI1W7jg8-QMpNSx4uxCg3krwIG6OaAzKVXYRNt-J7TU1mScv5h3tPoVfkw-4X4F3_UWdHUkYuxN7pZ3mTP2MxyzmFBVvs4jhG-8B6BaFnt1I113VyeGevUw41moodQRfE> My company is only about 50 people and we're competing against companies with thousands of employees, so we need all the help we can get. Anyone can vote (takes 15-20 seconds), so please share with friends and family if you don't mind. Appreciate any support my fellow Noles can offer .

From Erika Stone, Film School Acting Faculty:  OPENING THIS FRIDAY!!! If you want some escape-from-it-all silly comedy, come see me in this world premier performance. Runs 3/25, 3/31, 4/2, & 4/8 at 8PM and 3/27 & 4/10 at 2PM in the Studio Space at Theatre Tallahassee. The playwrights will be there for the opening with a reception and Q&A.
Get your tickets! http://theatretallahassee.showare.com/Honey

“The LA Seminole Club is hosting their 4th Annual Oscar Viewing party this Sunday March 27th in the upstairs lounge at Mrs. Robinson’s Irish Pub (10111 Riverside Dr, Toluca Lake, CA 91602). Get there early for their “Red Carpet” Networking Hour from 4-5pm PST with free appetizers. Show starts at 5pm PST. There will be contests for Best Dressed and Most Correct Guesses so be sure to dust off your party shoes and catch up on all the nominees. You may just leave with your very own statue! Please RSVP at  https://www.eventbrite.com/e/301686210577<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.eventbrite.com/e/301686210577__;!!PhOWcWs!gIzypXJA6mAA0FbI3e_f-Iek41F-QfiywrT8ZTjnFF6E9Ja5AJEJ9F8DvJnmwP0$>”

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – March 24, 2022

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) won Best SPX and Most Gore at the Haunted House FearFest in Bradford in the UK, March 18-19, and is a finalist for Best Under 15min and Best Student Film. For more information about this festival, go to www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/<http://www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/>.

This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino) was selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, April 28 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz) was selected for screening at the inaugural Wine, Women & Film Festival somewhere in California, September 17-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://winewomenandfilmfestival.godaddysites.com/.

The (Un)Lucky Ones (BFA Documentary 2021 Sophie Rizzo) was selected for screening at the NC South & East International Asian Film Festival somewhere in North Carolina, May 21-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.facebook.com/groups/ncisaff.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening in the Huntington Beach Cultural Cinema Showcase on March 24th in California, and will receive an Award of Distinction. For more information about this showcase, go to www.thecinemashowcase.com.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Houston Latino Film Festival, March 23-27. For more information about this festival, go to https://houstonlatinofilmfestival.org/.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) is one of three Nominees for a College Television Award in the category of Nonfiction or Reality Series. The winners will be announced on March 26th. For more information about this competition, also known as the Student Emmys, go to emmys.com.

Fairydust (MFA Thesis 2021 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Women’s International Film Festival, March 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.lawomensfest.com<http://www.lawomensfest.com>.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) was selected for screening at Docuwest Documentary Film Festival in Denver, March 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to docuwestfest.com.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the Film Girl Film Festival, normally held in Milwaukee, but online for this year, March 25-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmgirlfilm.com.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) and A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the American Documentary and Animation Film Festival (AmDocs) in Palm Springs, March 25-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.ameriandocumentaryfilmfestival.com<http://www.ameriandocumentaryfilmfestival.com>.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz), Fair to Meddlin’ (BFA F1 2021 Macy Parker), Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz), This isn’t Funny Anymore (BFA F1 2021 Summer Purks), The Girl Who Learned to Swim (MFA D2 2021 Shannon Sutherland), Shadowboxing (BFA F3 2021 Joshua Myers) and Kaiju Casanova (BFA F3 2021 Nico Weaver) were invited to screen in a special FSU CMPA Student Day of Shorts as part of the Covey Film Festival in Thomasville, Georgia on April 2nd. For more information about this event, go to https://coveyfilmfestival.org/2022-films.

La Perrera (MFA Thesis 2021 Alex Thiel) was selected for screening at the Phoenix Film Festival, March 31 – April 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://Phoenixfilmfestival.org.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at Wicked Queer: Boston LGBT Film Festival, April 7-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.wickedqueer.org<http://www.wickedqueer.org>.

Espejo (BFA F1 2021 Amber Perez), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz), The Last F*cking Straw (MFA D1 2021 Jason Anthony), Shocks (MFA D2 2021 Pat  Shafer), Aliyah (BFA Doc 2021 Omar Dabbous) and The Confession (MFA D1 2021 Emma Francis) were selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, April 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com.

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles International Children’s Film Festival, March 3 – April 24. For more information about this festival, go to www.childrensfilmla.org.

Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Universe Multicultural Film Festival in Rolling Estates, California (on the Palos Verdes peninsula), April 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.umfilms.org<http://www.umfilms.org>.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) was selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to floridafilmfestival.com.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the PrideArts Film Fest in Chicago, March 21 – April 11. For more information about this festival, go to pridearts.org.

Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Myrtle Beach International Film Festival in South Carolina, April 19-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://myrtlebeachfilmfestival.com.

Skeletons (MFA D1 2021 Steven Hedrick) was selected for screening at Fantaspoa, the International Fantastic Film Festival of Porto Alegre in Brazil, April 20 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.fantaspoa.com<http://www.fantaspoa.com>.

Skeletons (MFA D1 2021 Steven Hedrick) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 26 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino) was selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, April 28 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

No Man’s Land (BFA F3 2021 Landon Hogue), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and Briefly Gorgeous (MFA Thesis 2021 Elijah Barry) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, April 28 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) is a finalist in the College category in the Palm Beach Student Showcase of Films. The event will be held on May 6th. For more information about this showcase, go to www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Nicholas (BFA F3 2021 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Nice International Film Festival in France, May 15-21, and was nominated for Best Director of a Short Film, Best Short Film, Best Editing of a Short Film, Best Original Screenplay of a Short Film and Best Supporting Actor in a Short Film. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfestinternational.com/nice<http://www.filmfestinternational.com/nice>.

Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Diversity Showcase in Cannes, May 17-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/.

America’s Child (BFA F1 2021 Josh Ceranic) and Teressa in the Background (MFA Thesis 2021 Stefany Espinoza) were selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival, July 8-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org.

Daze (MFA D2 2021 Shari Petti) was selected for screening at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com.