[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 3.17.22

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Mar 17 13:29:44 EDT 2022

We now have just under 500 members in the FSUFILM Pub, sharing their news, posting jobs, asking for advice, and more. Our hope is that one day soon, you won't have to wait until Thursday for the Warren Report, because everyone will be telling you their news directly in the Pub every day! Come join your fellow alumni and speak directly to a community of people who share your history and interests. (email Brenda - bmills at film.fsu.edu<mailto:bmills at film.fsu.edu> - if you can't find your email invite)

From Chris Amick (BFA 10) For the past two years, Ben Mekler and I have been head writers and Co-EPs on a new Kung Fu Panda series for Netflix. Finally announced today, along with the news that Jack Black is returning to play Po! This has been an incredible experience, and we’ve worked alongside an incredible crew to push the KFP universe to new heights with new stories and new characters. Coming to Netflix in July! Check out the press release here - https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/netflix-kung-fu-panda-series-jack-black-1235206547/

From Brendan Murphy (BFA 93) “We’ve been working very hard and having a great time on this movie and I’m so excited we finally have a poster and trailer to share. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1-LueXzies<https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=P1-LueXzies&fbclid=IwAR1yHeduzUiLwEiJfHWuFq-tKpJlxtyEoItC2iVlqu5u0-BFiFOWqmhEJy4>.  I was Associate Production Manager for Script, Story, Editorial.

From Stacy Milbourn (MFA Writing 14) “ I  have been a Script Coordinator for three years straight, and have worked on two seasons of Yellowstone, 1883, Mayor of Kingstown, two unproduced series, and currently Shadow and Bone Season 2 on Netflix. I was recently featured as an endorsed writer on Coverfly and am perpetually looking for my first Staff Writer job.”

From Chris Amick (BFA 10) For the past two years, Ben Mekler and I have been head writers and Co-EPs on a new Kung Fu Panda series for Netflix. Finally announced today, along with the news that Jack Black is returning to play Po! This has been an incredible experience, and we’ve worked alongside an incredible crew to push the KFP universe to new heights with new stories and new characters. Coming to Netflix in July! Check out the press release here - https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/netflix-kung-fu-panda-series-jack-black-1235206547/

Stephen Beaumont (MFA 94) produced, directed and edited a series of short spots titled Catholic Blitz, for EWTN’s social media.  The purpose of the spots is to give concise answers to common questions about Catholic faith and practice in a fun and inviting way.  The first spot premiered this week on EWTN’s Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/ewtnonline/videos/why-cant-women-be-ordained-catholic-blitz-ewtncom/299773148926358<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/ewtnonline/videos/why-cant-women-be-ordained-catholic-blitz-ewtncom/299773148926358__;!!PhOWcWs!mX1kAPUy2OPUuiiZcD-_zS0i8JXCDCiJWGgQdY6fom6QsLCHwFcwFle6-509JuI$>

From James Leming (MFA 18) “Two of my shorts (The Bradford Experiment and Papercuts) were recently accepted to Troma's streaming platform: TromaNOW! @tromateam @tromanowapp
When I was 12, I saved-up my money for 4 distinct things: Reservoir Dogs on VHS, Mallrats on VHS, The Toxic Avenger: Director's Cut (with full head crushing scene!) on VHS, and Lloyd Kaufman's semi-autobiographical "Make Your Own Damn Movie!" with an introduction by Trey Parker and a forward by James Gunn. Needless to say, I used to spend Summers all by myself, writing/acting/and directing "my own damn movies" on a VHS camcorder my Dad bought from a yard sale. I dreamt that one day, if I worked hard enough, the guy who made The Toxic Avenger (Uncle Lloydie) would accept one of my films into the Troma family, just like he did with Trey Parker. I hoped to be a child of Troma like James Gunn. Needless to say, this is such an honor to have some of my films next to timeless Troma classics like The Toxic Avenger, Class of Nuke Em' High, Tromeo & Juliet, and more.  I'll update and share when they're uploaded (sorry if I spam the link a bit too much when it happens). This comes hot on the tail of a new filmmaking wind filling my lungs and sails, as I hope to jump onto developing a new film very soon. Thank you, Uncle Lloydie! Thank you to everyone who collaborated with me to make this happen! You made a goofy 12 year old's dream come true. Super excited to be a citizen of Tromaville!

The Art Directors Guild<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/publicity4all.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a74fe7da0826c7b90aa704fd0&id=29b0e67743&e=68785ca4ce__;!!PhOWcWs!jPw04qZaCvBRh8eWGjAR4fV-Vs-3YSy09GnSpGqVRvsxy-JYzU93z8yTZegiwA$> and the Set Decorators Society of America<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/publicity4all.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a74fe7da0826c7b90aa704fd0&id=7dc06b5da1&e=68785ca4ce__;!!PhOWcWs!jPw04qZaCvBRh8eWGjAR4fV-Vs-3YSy09GnSpGqVRvsxy-JYzU93z8wcrvgUrA$> would like to extend an open invitation to you and your students to attend a very special panel discussion of the Production Designers and Set Decorators nominated for the 2022 Academy Awards for Achievement in Production Design to be held the day before the Oscars.The event, sponsored by The Hollywood Reporter<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/publicity4all.us20.list-manage.com/track/click?u=a74fe7da0826c7b90aa704fd0&id=c783689b39&e=68785ca4ce__;!!PhOWcWs!jPw04qZaCvBRh8eWGjAR4fV-Vs-3YSy09GnSpGqVRvsxy-JYzU93z8y01u5eeg$>, will be held on Saturday, March 26th at 3:00 pm at the Regal Sherman Oaks Galleria, 15301 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks. Doors open at 2:00 p.m. and your guests should arrive early as it is usually sold out.RSVP recommended to reserve seats. The event is open to the public on a first come, first serve basis AFTER the ADG guests are seated. RSVP: ADGoscarpanelRSVP at gmail.com<mailto:ADGoscarpanelRSVP at gmail.com>

In case you're working on a script with Asian or Pacific Islander themes...
My name is Ria Tobaccowala and I'm reaching out about a new screenwriting incubator program<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/pachinko-showrunner-ucp-asian-incubator-1235083188/__;!!PhOWcWs!miKioWfb6rXDFe5WyfLmxpkieE5jvEAYxhP6_w74CyvMt00XcG9jbN0J7PbosqjF$> I'm managing with writer/producer Soo Hugh (creator of Pachinko and The Terror) in partnership with Universal Content Productions (UCP) that may be of interest to your student and alumni communities.

The program is called THE THOUSAND MILES PROJECT after a well-known Proverb that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. We want to help writers take a huge first step toward a fruitful career in the television industry, especially talented storytellers with no experience with screenplays who are looking to learn how to write and develop for television. The program is open to writers of any background with an interest in telling Asian Pacific Islander stories. The first component of the program is a virtual workshop aimed at bringing an industry education to 10-20 writers and creators. We will also select up to three television stories from participants in the Workshop to develop with UCP. Selected projects will be paid WGA-stipulated script fees. Selected writers will work with Soo, myself, and the UCP creative team with the goal of getting these shows made and launching careers.We'd love to get the news out to your students and/or alumni who may be interested in writing, the arts and the entertainment industry via any specific departments, career newsletters or social media. The application is free, here is the link: www.coverfly.com/thousandmilesproject<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.coverfly.com/thousandmilesproject__;!!PhOWcWs!miKioWfb6rXDFe5WyfLmxpkieE5jvEAYxhP6_w74CyvMt00XcG9jbN0J7I3axhPK$>  Ria Tobaccowala.    312.420.5581 | ria.tobaccowala at gmail.com<mailto:ria.tobaccowala at gmail.com>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – March 17, 2022

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) won the Audience Award for a Narrative Short at the Gasparilla International Film Festival in Tampa, March 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

Espejo (BFA F1 2021 Amber Perez), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz), The Last F*cking Straw (MFA D1 2021 Jason Anthony),Shocks (MFA D2 2021 Pat  Shafer), Aliyah (BFA Doc 2021 Omar Dabbous) and The Confession (MFA D1 2021 Emma Francis) were selected for screening at the Black Warrior Film Festival in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, April 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackwarriorfilmfest.com.

Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Myrtle Beach International Film Festival in South Carolina, April 19-23. For more information about this festival, go to http://myrtlebeachfilmfestival.com.

This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino) was selected for screening at the National Film Festival for Talented Youth (NFFTY) in Seattle, April 28 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.nffty.org.

Cut Short (MFA D2 2021 Charlie Andelman) was selected for screening in the Florida CinemaSlam as part of the Miami Film Festival, March 4-13. For more information about this festival, go to miamifilmfestival.com.

AliEN (MFA Thesis 2021 Shahbaz Khan) was selected for screening at the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Jackals (BFA F3 2020 Sean Menendez), Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) and Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla International Film Festival in Tampa, March 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Haunted House FearFest in Bradford in the UK, March 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/<http://www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Haunted House FearFest in Bradford in the UK, March 18-19 and is nominated for an award. For more information about this festival, go to www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/<http://www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening in the Huntington Beach Cultural Cinema Showcase on March 24th in California, and and will receive an Award of Distinction. For more information about this showcase, go to www.thecinemashowcase.com.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Houston Latino Film Festival, March 23-27. For more information about this festival, go to https://houstonlatinofilmfestival.org/.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) is one of three Nominees for a College Television Award in the category of Nonfiction or Reality Series. The winners will be announced on March 26th. For more information about this competition, also known as the Student Emmys, go to emmys.com.

Fairydust (MFA Thesis 2021 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Women’s International Film Festival, March 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.lawomensfest.com<http://www.lawomensfest.com>.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) was selected for screening at Docuwest Documentary Film Festival in Denver, March 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to docuwestfest.com.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the Film Girl Film Festival, normally held in Milwaukee, but online for this year, March 25-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmgirlfilm.com.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) and A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the American Documentary and Animation Film Festival (AmDocs) in Palm Springs, March 25-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.ameriandocumentaryfilmfestival.com<http://www.ameriandocumentaryfilmfestival.com>.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz), Fair to Meddlin’ (BFA F1 2021 Macy Parker), Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz), This isn’t Funny Anymore (BFA F1 2021 Summer Purks), The Girl Who Learned to Swim (MFA D2 2021 Shannon Sutherland), Shadowboxing (BFA F3 2021 Joshua Myers) and Kaiju Casanova (BFA F3 2021 Nico Weaver) were invited to screen in a special FSU CMPA Student Day of Shorts as part of the Covey Film Festival in Thomasville, Georgia on April 2nd. For more information about this event, go to https://coveyfilmfestival.org/2022-films.

La Perrera (MFA Thesis 2021 Alex Thiel) was selected for screening at the Phoenix Film Festival, March 31 – April 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://Phoenixfilmfestival.org.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at Wicked Queer: Boston LGBT Film Festival, April 7-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.wickedqueer.org<http://www.wickedqueer.org>.

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles International Children’s Film Festival, March 3 – April 24. For more information about this festival, go to www.childrensfilmla.org.

Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Universe Multicultural Film Festival in Rolling Estates, California (on the Palos Verdes peninsula), April 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.umfilms.org<http://www.umfilms.org>.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) was selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to floridafilmfestival.com.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the PrideArts Film Fest in Chicago, March 21 – April 11. For more information about this festival, go to pridearts.org.

Skeletons (MFA D1 2021 Steven Hedrick) was selected for screening at Fantaspoa, the International Fantastic Film Festival of Porto Alegre in Brazil, April 20 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.fantaspoa.com<http://www.fantaspoa.com>.

Skeletons (MFA D1 2021 Steven Hedrick) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 26 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

No Man’s Land (BFA F3 2021 Landon Hogue), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and Briefly Gorgeous (MFA Thesis 2021 Elijah Barry) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, April 28 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) is a finalist in the College category in the Palm Beach Student Showcase of Films. The event will be held on May 6th. For more information about this showcase, go to www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Nicholas (BFA F3 2021 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Nice International Film Festival in France, May 15-21, and was nominated for Best Director of a Short Film, Best Short Film, Best Editing of a Short Film, Best Original Screenplay of a Short Film and Best Supporting Actor in a Short Film. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfestinternational.com/nice<http://www.filmfestinternational.com/nice>.

Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Diversity Showcase in Cannes, May 17-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/.

America’s Child (BFA F1 2021 Josh Ceranic) and Teressa in the Background (MFA Thesis 2021 Stefany Espinoza) were selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival, July 8-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org.

Daze (MFA D2 2021 Shari Petti) was selected for screening at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com.