[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 3.11.22

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Mar 11 11:56:50 EST 2022

Thanks to everyone who donated to the Great Give.  We won’t know if we scored any of the incentives for a few days, but for now we had 135 gifts, 95 from alumni, 38 from faculty and staff for a total of $20,908!  The Meryl Warren Alumni Endowment Fund has had a big boost, making more funds available for alumni events, workshops, screenings.   Thanks for helping keep our alumni network strong.

Don't miss the party in the FSUFILM Pub. Sign up if you haven't. Email Brenda (bmills at film.fsu.edu<mailto:bmills at film.fsu.edu>) if you can't find your invite.

The Underground Railroad Creator-Writer-Director Barry Jenkins to Receive WGAW’s 2022 Paul Selvin Award<https://www.wga.org/news-events/news/press/underground-railroad-creator-writer-director-barry-jenkins-to-receive-wgaw-2022-paul-selvin-award>  Writer-director-producer Barry Jenkins  (BFA 03) has been named recipient of Writers Guild of America West’s 2022 Paul Selvin Award in recognition of his script for “Chapter 9: Indiana Winter” (The Underground Railroad. https://www.wga.org/news-events/news/press/underground-railroad-creator-writer-director-barry-jenkins-to-receive-wgaw-2022-paul-selvin-award

Congratulations to second-year BFA student Tristan Owen! As cinematographer of the documentary "The Castle Builder" he won the highly competitive American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) Student Heritage Award in the Haskell Wexler Documentary Category this weekend in Los Angeles.

The Khayrallah Center is pleased to announce that the 2021 Khayrallah Prize was awarded to Ahmad Moshen for his novel Heaven is Not on Our Side, and to Oualid Mouaness (MFA 97) for his film 1982!  Way to go Oualid!
And to Joi McMillon (BFA 03) who won Best Editing for Zola at the Independent Sprit Awards!!!!

And more congrats – this time to TS Nowlin (BFA 03).  He wrote the Adam Project, which comes out on March 11 on Netflix!   He says it’s pretty good!!!

From Iman Zawahry (MFA 08) “I was chosen as 1 of 8 filmmakers for a fellowship with Sundance<https://www.facebook.com/sundance?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZUi6jRCM-dDSr6sbzoglJNkJeFoTE-hYay57t7mQOGCbNYUf7AQrLW2z_AU9hZb78a-L8Qn1NVGtJ9NuTVQ3l4MK4Y642yFtV-HGT_TeYjOXrO_H7gRwK-A4SdaJjTmS1H-WVEXXE9KL-dZelDo1GRR&__tn__=-%5dK-R> Momentum Lab. 7 of the 8 filmmakers are women, so it feels especially important to share this news on #InternationalWomensDay<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/internationalwomensday?__eep__=6&__cft__%5b0%5d=AZUi6jRCM-dDSr6sbzoglJNkJeFoTE-hYay57t7mQOGCbNYUf7AQrLW2z_AU9hZb78a-L8Qn1NVGtJ9NuTVQ3l4MK4Y642yFtV-HGT_TeYjOXrO_H7gRwK-A4SdaJjTmS1H-WVEXXE9KL-dZelDo1GRR&__tn__=*NK-R>. It is truly amazing, as it offers filmmakers coaching, mentorship, networking, and other support to hone your craft in the industry.
And that's exactly what our small Muslim film community needs! Yet, this announcement is bittersweet. It comes at a time when Sundance's Outreach & Inclusion Director Karim Ahmed has just left the organization. It also follows various discussions and outreach about holding institutions, including Sundance, accountable for amplifying and perpetuating dangerous narratives about Muslims. I have devoted my life to this work and will continue to do that throughout my career. Thank you to Karim and Adella for providing me with this opportunity. Thank you to fellow Muslim filmmakers who continue to speak truth to power. And much love to the Momentum 2022 cohort! You all inspire me to be a better filmmaker and artist!
Read the full article at: https://deadline.com/.../sundance-institute-sets-2022.../<https://deadline.com/2022/03/sundance-institute-sets-2022-momentum-fellows-1234972945/?fbclid=IwAR31arwrkx6jMKVlzM3WScCJZxUnJDvYRR74xBtr9y5JgvVghZYr3Nxb2tM>

From Layne Inselman (MFA17) “Hello friends, colleagues, and collaborators! I’m now the happy owner of a full cinema camera package! It includes everything including camera, head/tripod, wireless monitoring and focus… I even have filtration! All it needs is the right set of lenses for the project. And somehow it all fits in my car. I’m really looking forward to shooting more projects and supporting my friends and other FSU grads to get their work made (especially any of us also in the LGBTQ+ community)! I have a full breakdown on my website (layneinselman.com<http://www.layneinselman.com/>) if you’re interested in knowing more. Let’s start shooting!”

‘Toothpick I a NY production company run by Julia Friedman (BFA 14) and Valerie Brooks (BFA 14).  Their first project is a sub-tropical vampire film being shot in Miami as part of the White Elephant Group filmmaking commissions.”
From Billy Maurer (BFA ADA 16) “‘Last year in March I was pulled off my current show to help out with an asset on Picard S2 that would end up being the Stargazer. Finally a year later I can talk about what an amazing opportunity it’s been. I quickly became the Asset Lead at Ghost VFX LA for S2 and was responsible for the resurfacing and texturing of every Starfleet ship that passed through the house including brining ships from the gaming universe to the cinematic universe for the first time in all their glory. As a fan it was an honor to get to reinvent the look of Starfleet in a brand new way. And here’s to the future and what it holds as we continue into bigger and better stuff!”

From Shari Petti (MFA 2) “I have an update on the Best of PAFF March retrospective. My film “Sorf Hair” is in the Short Docs 2 block.
Films screen from March 10th-23rd! 😊
Here’s the link:
https://watch.eventive.org/paff<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/watch.eventive.org/paff__;!!PhOWcWs!j0ndkhWevTXP7Uz_mnR270xMCfic9an4SWF55mlx2R5RlgooAdvOOVz0TMxypS4$>

“My name is Praheme (MFA 10’) and I am currently fundraising for my 2nd feature film Walking Under the Influence. We have already raised over $47k through friends and family and now we are looking to raise another $50,000 through crowdfunding.  Please visit www.Gofundme.com/wuifilm and see how you can support our WUI. We have a lot of great perks for contributors, even points on the backend. Please consider making a donation, every dollar counts!”
Scott Peake’s (MFA 93) wife is running for Mayor of Los Angeles!   For you in LA, here’s a bit of information about her in case you might consider voting:  “I am Gina Viola and I've lived in Los Angeles my entire adult life. I love this city and it's time to make it happy, healthy and safe for all Angelenos. I am a mother of 2 LAUSD children, a business owner the past 25 years, and a community advocate. I spent my early years in Los Angeles organizing around LGBTQ rights with APLA. In my 30's I began mentoring with an organization Girls & Gangs and eventually sat on the board into my 40's. Later in this decade, after the killing of Mike Brown, I turned my focus toward racial and social justice work. The inequities in my own city were glaring and it was long past time for folks who look like me to start doing something about that.”

From Steve Samanen (BFA 94) “I'm working on a Hulu series about the founder of the Chippendales dance revue, which is a true story that doesn't have a good ending, but working on the show has been pretty fun so far, lots of 1979 research and period details.  I'm working from home, but I had the option of working in the office, until they said the office is in Chatsworth, and I said, well, my guest bedroom is closer...  “

From Chloe Lind (BFA15) Some exciting news to share! In January I started full-time at AKA NYC as their Content Creator. I basically do a bit of everything from editing, filming, helping on set, pitching concepts, etc. for video content for several Broadway shows including Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Company, American Buffalo, Tina, and the upcoming revival of Funny Girl. If y’all know me, you know I’ve been dreaming of using my film school skills for the Broadway world since day 1, so it’s pretty surreal to finally be here.  Anyway, my first project that I fully edited is this sweet Funny Girl EPK currently featured on People.com! I was lucky enough to shadow on set, then cut this baby from start to finish, and now she’s here. Watch at the link below, and come see the show if you’re ever in the city! https://people.com/theater/exclusive-first-look-at-beanie-feldstein-jane-lynch-in-rehearsals-for-broadway-funny-girl/
From John Wakeford Francis (MFA 14). “The family and I moved from LA to DC in October of 2020. I've been busy cutting shows ("The Dirt" for Discovery Channel, "Unexpected" for TLC, "Panic 911" for A&E) and promos ("Murder Nation" for HLN, and some other promos for CNBC). We pine for the LA weather and friends, so we hope to be back one day soon, but for now, work is still remote, so I work from our home here in DC. It was a joy to edit Mithra Alavi's (MFA 2014) short film "Birds Fly Home" a little while ago, and I hope to be able to help out and edit more short films from alums. Our little ones are doing well, Wren is a bright academic 4th grader, Cedar is in 2nd grade and continues to astound us with her drawings, and Ozette is in kindergarten, she's the family comedian, and is currently obsessed with poop. So life is pretty good.
.
From Jaye Davidson (MFA 10) “I wanted to share with you an interview my composer Greg Nicolett did for Vents Magazine. He explains his writing process for "The Lady Edison score. https://ventsmagazine.com/2022/03/07/greg-nicolett-acclaimed-composer-brings-expertise-to-the-lady-edison/?fbclid=IwAR0UqLt2kySx9zdhiuHRU9Z_PaFDrcydryiIThEhWUXMEVrSdn7jNCLCeak<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/ventsmagazine.com/2022/03/07/greg-nicolett-acclaimed-composer-brings-expertise-to-the-lady-edison/?fbclid=IwAR0UqLt2kySx9zdhiuHRU9Z_PaFDrcydryiIThEhWUXMEVrSdn7jNCLCeak__;!!PhOWcWs!i7siEhBtde1PGP_B7j_wTtYd92KVKf_QHp9zpnZSo9wXUdN2Gx0gfVW_AX_hTHc$>

FAMU School of Journalism & Graphic Communication – Job Openings Assistant Professor - Visual Storytelling (18108) Job ID 3754 Location Tallahassee, FL - Main Campus Department Division Of Journalism Job Family Faculty Posted Date 02/16/2022 Close Date 03/31/2022 Broadcast Instructor (17605) Job ID 3757 Location Tallahassee, FL - Main Campus Department Division Of Journalism Job Family Faculty Posted Date 02/16/2022 Close Date 03/30/2022 How To Apply Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include all work history and education details even if attaching a resume. Applicant should submit the following: (1) Cover letter that explains suitability for position, (2) a FAMU employment application (go to www.famu.edu<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.famu.edu%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR08xa3nbO8vn9vKJM97LU6dJLVRj8a8dFOj1NZCNvGY666PX-0LkR_vMVU&h=AT3C68B8P_SfxRVZRy5d4RBcG67eV6Pej_Ru4z01ltqbAWJhcXuOkQsBjPwxYB7lzUmK0jShv3N9JNUvX-J8RqZ0HINNqleWMNnDCc-ghfmP9QI37sFdU84Ap7aBnNHJpjNCKSaO> Florida A&M University - FAMU Spring Semester 2022 Health Guidance. Florida A&M University wants to "Protect the FAMULY" and have a safe spring semester. Remember, "we can't be FAM without U getting vaccinated." www.famu.edu<https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.famu.edu%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0In1f_sbz37ycArF442u9OqYuaEnsPRM-GQiNiBs4rmIPBxIJLwHsngkk&h=AT3C68B8P_SfxRVZRy5d4RBcG67eV6Pej_Ru4z01ltqbAWJhcXuOkQsBjPwxYB7lzUmK0jShv3N9JNUvX-J8RqZ0HINNqleWMNnDCc-ghfmP9QI37sFdU84Ap7aBnNHJpjNCKSaO> ), (3) a current curriculum vita, (4) the names, addresses, telephone numbers and e-mail addresses of three professional references and (5) one-page description of teaching philosophy. If you are a current FAMU employee, you must apply through Self Service in iRattler. This search is being conducted under Florida law, including the Sunshine law and Public Records law.

From Paula Azuaje:  I am reaching out on behalf of Susie Films<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/susiefilms.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!ku26-hsHx-xxuW2I_S5YlkUCZtyPZJ3MHGbhLWZxlsc6_6EOPMua-na08E3Sqew$>,a production company based in NC. We are currently working on Season 2 of an ACC Network show (sister network of ESPN) called 3 Day Weekend.<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.espn.com/espnplus/player?id=a68c61be-64c7-4324-860e-642a029b81f7__;!!PhOWcWs!ku26-hsHx-xxuW2I_S5YlkUCZtyPZJ3MHGbhLWZxlsc6_6EOPMua-na0fxhYKLs$> On the show we give people a closer look on where to stay, what to do and where to eat in Atlantic Coast Conference school related cities such as Tallahassee. We will be filming 4/2 - 4/4  We already have episodes on Blacksburg, Miami, Pittsburgh, Boston and Clemson. Here is a preview for our Blacksburgh episode: https://vimeo.com/418898855<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/vimeo.com/418898855__;!!PhOWcWs!ku26-hsHx-xxuW2I_S5YlkUCZtyPZJ3MHGbhLWZxlsc6_6EOPMua-na0Ryv85i8$>    I am looking for an audio operator/sound recordist and a production assistant for this shoot. Let me know if you have any students that might want to PA or any alumni that are now audio operators in the area.  paula at susiefilms.com<mailto:paula at susiefilms.com>

Professor of Media Practice position open at Georgia State in Atlanta.   Go to the FSUFILM Pub for the description.

From Andy Rogers (MFA Writing 18) “Hey FSU friends - the talent agency I'm currently working at is looking for a new assistant! It's a small but busy agency, and the two agents you'd be working for both are wonderful people. They would love if you have an interest in becoming an agent, but it's not a requirement. We are currently working on a hybrid office/work-from-home schedule, and the office itself is located in Burbank right next to Warner Bros. I'll happily answer any questions you have over DM. Here's the listing, and please feel free to let them know I sent you:
TalentWorks Los Angeles is hiring an executive administrative assistant to support two talent agents in our Burbank office.
You are:

  *   A skilled multi-tasker
  *   Highly motivated
  *   Detail-oriented
  *   Passionate about artist representation
You will:

  *   Manage and redirect internal and external inquiries via phone and email
  *   Organize high volume of pitches, submissions, audition requests, and client tapes according to strict deadlines
  *   Assist with special projects, research, and compiling information as needed
  *   Handle a wide range of administrative and executive support in a fast-paced, high-pressure environment
  *   Manage Agent and Client calendars
  *   Interface with production and accounting regarding client payment
  *   Input and track all appointments and events into internal system
  *   Serve as the first point of contact with clients, casting directors, network/studio executives
  *   Effectively communicate and interact with high-profile clients, prospective clients, and managers with discretion and professionalism
  *   Display high levels of decision-making, attention to detail, and confidentiality
You have:

  *   1-3 years of experience in a similar position at an agency, studio, network, or management company
  *   A BS/BA in a relevant subject area
  *   A serious interest in a career as a talent agent
Resumes and optional cover letter may be sent to talentworksassistantsearch at gmail.com<mailto:talentworksassistantsearch at gmail.com>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – March 10, 2022

Tristan Owen won the ASC Student Heritage Award in the Haskell Wexler Documentary Category for his role as DP on The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) at the ASC Student Heritage Awards ceremony on March 5th in Los Angeles. For more information about this competition, go to https://theasc.com/awards/36th-annual-asc-awards.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) is a finalist in the College category in the Palm Beach Student Showcase of Films. The event will be held on May 6th. For more information about this showcase, go to www.pbfilm.com/studentshowcaseoffilms.cfm.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at Wicked Queer: Boston LGBT Film Festival, April 7-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.wickedqueer.org<http://www.wickedqueer.org>.

Teressa in the Background (MFA Thesis 2021 Stefany Espinoza) was selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival, July 8-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org.

Teressa in the Background (MFA Thesis 2021 Stefany Espinoza) was selected for screening in the March edition of FilmSlam in Orlando, to be held March 13. For more information about this festival, go to www.facebook.com/FilmSlam<http://www.facebook.com/FilmSlam>.

No Man’s Land (BFA F3 2021 Landon Hogue), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and Briefly Gorgeous (MFA Thesis 2021 Elijah Barry) were selected for screening at the Sunscreen Film Festival in St. Pete, April 28 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com<http://www.sunscreenfilmfestival.com>.

Cut Short (MFA D2 2021 Charlie Andelman) won Best Cinematography at the Miami Film Festival’s Cinemaslam, March 4-13. For more information about this festival, go to miamifilmfestival.com.

Cut Short (MFA D2 2021 Charlie Andelman) was selected for screening in the Florida CinemaSlam as part of the Miami Film Festival, March 4-13. For more information about this festival, go to miamifilmfestival.com.

AliEN (MFA Thesis 2021 Shahbaz Khan) was selected for screening at the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Jackals (BFA F3 2020 Sean Menendez), Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) and Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla International Film Festival in Tampa, March 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Haunted House FearFest in Bradford in the UK, March 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/<http://www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Haunted House FearFest in Bradford in the UK, March 18-19 and is nominated for an award. For more information about this festival, go to www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/<http://www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening in the Huntington Beach Cultural Cinema Showcase on March 24th in California, and and will receive an Award of Distinction. For more information about this showcase, go to www.thecinemashowcase.com.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Houston Latino Film Festival, March 23-27. For more information about this festival, go to https://houstonlatinofilmfestival.org/.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) is one of three Nominees for a College Television Award in the category of Nonfiction or Reality Series. The winners will be announced on March 26th. For more information about this competition, also known as the Student Emmys, go to emmys.com.

Fairydust (MFA Thesis 2021 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Women’s International Film Festival, March 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.lawomensfest.com<http://www.lawomensfest.com>.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) was selected for screening at Docuwest Documentary Film Festival in Denver, March 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to docuwestfest.com.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the Film Girl Film Festival, normally held in Milwaukee, but online for this year, March 25-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmgirlfilm.com.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) and A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the American Documentary and Animation Film Festival (AmDocs) in Palm Springs, March 25-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.ameriandocumentaryfilmfestival.com<http://www.ameriandocumentaryfilmfestival.com>.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz), Fair to Meddlin’ (BFA F1 2021 Macy Parker), Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz), This isn’t Funny Anymore (BFA F1 2021 Summer Purks), The Girl Who Learned to Swim (MFA D2 2021 Shannon Sutherland), Shadowboxing (BFA F3 2021 Joshua Myers) and Kaiju Casanova (BFA F3 2021 Nico Weaver) were invited to screen in a special FSU CMPA Student Day of Shorts as part of the Covey Film Festival in Thomasville, Georgia on April 2nd. For more information about this event, go to https://coveyfilmfestival.org/2022-films.

La Perrera (MFA Thesis 2021 Alex Thiel) was selected for screening at the Phoenix Film Festival, March 31 – April 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://Phoenixfilmfestival.org.

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles International Children’s Film Festival, March 3 – April 24. For more information about this festival, go to www.childrensfilmla.org.

Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Universe Multicultural Film Festival in Rolling Estates, California (on the Palos Verdes peninsula), April 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.umfilms.org<http://www.umfilms.org>.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) was selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to floridafilmfestival.com.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the PrideArts Film Fest in Chicago, March 21 – April 11. For more information about this festival, go to pridearts.org.

Skeletons (MFA D1 2021 Steven Hedrick) was selected for screening at Fantaspoa, the International Fantastic Film Festival of Porto Alegre in Brazil, April 20 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.fantaspoa.com<http://www.fantaspoa.com>.

Skeletons (MFA D1 2021 Steven Hedrick) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 26 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com>.

Nicholas (BFA F3 2021 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Nice International Film Festival in France, May 15-21, and was nominated for Best Director of a Short Film, Best Short Film, Best Editing of a Short Film, Best Original Screenplay of a Short Film and Best Supporting Actor in a Short Film. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfestinternational.com/nice<http://www.filmfestinternational.com/nice>.

Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Diversity Showcase in Cannes, May 17-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/.

America’s Child (BFA F1 2021 Josh Ceranic) was selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival, July 8-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org.

Daze (MFA D2 2021 Shari Petti) was selected for screening at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com.