[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 3.4.22

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Mar 4 07:57:12 EST 2022

Things are heating up in the FSUFILPub. We're well over 400 members, and in the last week we've had posts about moves, releases of cool stuff alums have worked on, a new death metal board game, a fun animation speedsculpt, an artist visa, a call for diverse female filmmakers, and a new LLC. Bring your news! Post job opportunities! Grab a beer and pull up a stool. And if you don't see an invite in your inbox, email bmills at film.fsu.edu<mailto:bmills at film.fsu.edu> and we'll get you in.

From Brett Lee, Film School Development Guy:  “FSU’s annual giving day is less than a week away! The Great Give is once again 24 hours and will be held on Wednesday, March 9th. I’ve attached a link below that highlights all the incentives. Last year, thanks to our very own alum Matthew Koch, who made a gift from Singapore, Meryl’s fund received an extra $1700. This year, thanks to Craig Lynch and Florence Ashby, the Far off Campus award is $5000! Matthew, if you’re reading this….you know what to do! Thank you to all who are planning to participate.  Let’s show Meryl the love on March 9th!!https://greatgive.fsu.edu/incentives”

Last week I let y’all know that George Geiger, screenwriting faculty extraordinare, had passed away,   His obituary is now on a webpage provided by the David C. Gross Funeral Home in St. Petersburg. The web address to access this page is davidcgross.com<http://davidcgross.com/>. Anyone interested will be able to read the obit as well as post comments, condolences, etc. (Click on the Tribute Wall on the left on the obituary page.). Plans for a memorial service will be announced later.

From Samuel Curtis (BFA 13) “What a start to the year! Filled with ever-growing gratitude and continued inspiration. Last month The Hollywood Reporter announced the launching of the screenwriting program I created and have been developing the past few years with Gary Wilkerson Jr. (MFA 15 Writing), the Writers Guild Foundation, and Final Draft. Gary has come on board as our Head of Screenwriting at Get Lit, and he now runs the program and is coordinating our other development initiatives! Read the full article here in THR to learn more about The Poetic Screenwriters Lab: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/writers-guild-foundation-get-lit-nonprofit-announces-youth-screenwriting-program-1235082469/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/general-news/writers-guild-foundation-get-lit-nonprofit-announces-youth-screenwriting-program-1235082469/__;!!PhOWcWs!iBTfH_vEPn3i701b7whGwkJ_PiYllCdApH21eSE9_o2LitxkZHcVFOolvHhq6oE$>

Following up from my last Warren Report update, here is the article Variety ran recently on this year’s Golden Globes including exclusive segments from fellow non-profit presenters, and the first spoken word poet to perform in Golden Globes history:
https://variety.com/2022/tv/awards/golden-globes-2022-ceremony-1235186291/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/variety.com/2022/tv/awards/golden-globes-2022-ceremony-1235186291/__;!!PhOWcWs!iBTfH_vEPn3i701b7whGwkJ_PiYllCdApH21eSE9_o2LitxkZHcVFOol9AsBEzU$>
I was privileged to be amongst so many great social impact organizations and to be one of the presenters for the Best Picture award which went to The Power of the Dog. You can watch my speech I gave earlier in the evening on the power of poetry and the insurgence of a Poetic New Wave in Hollywood here - released on the Golden Globes instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CaNJ2NZu8Ya/?utm_medium=copy_link<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.instagram.com/tv/CaNJ2NZu8Ya/?utm_medium=copy_link__;!!PhOWcWs!iBTfH_vEPn3i701b7whGwkJ_PiYllCdApH21eSE9_o2LitxkZHcVFOolPm0gXlA$>

And lastly, Deadline released the trailer and announced the new feature documentary, Our Words Collide, I am Executive Producing with Rosario Dawson. It’s premiering this opening weekend at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival: https://deadline.com/video/our-words-collide-trailer-premiere-directors-jordan-w-barros-matt-edwards-ep-rosario-dawson-dramatic-pause-video/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/deadline.com/video/our-words-collide-trailer-premiere-directors-jordan-w-barros-matt-edwards-ep-rosario-dawson-dramatic-pause-video/__;!!PhOWcWs!iBTfH_vEPn3i701b7whGwkJ_PiYllCdApH21eSE9_o2LitxkZHcVFOolGdA5UxI$>

If any FSU alum are at the SBIFF this weekend let me know!

From Jon Martin (MFA Writing 19) “My Mom once told me that she gave me the middle name “Lucas” because she wanted to nickname me Jon-Luc in tribute to one of her favorite TV characters, Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Since January, I’ve had the honor of living up to that namesake by working with a wonderful, enterprising team as the Post PA on Star Trek: Picard. Season 2 debuts Thursday, March 3rd, on Paramount+. Don’t miss it!”

From Tavner Murphy (BFA 13) “I had the opportunity to cam op a special one-man performance that aired on Jimmy Fallon last night, My Morning Jacket’s Jim James performing “In Color”<https://youtu.be/zPXI5Tq23fA>.”

From Jay Welker (BFA 97) “I currently work for a company called the Costar group. They own Loopnet and Apartments.com. I do video production for commercial properties as my full time gig, but I also do a lot of their creative marketing materials. If you’ve seen any of the Apartment.com commercials with Jeff Goldbloom? I was on set for some and edited some. I also have my own production company called Future Now Films that does freelance turn key production in town here: Orlando. Is that what you mean? Lol! I’m still in a metal band too and have a kid named Micah (girl), that just started driving.”

From Jonas Schubach (MFA 18) “Here’s a bit of self-promotion that is long overdue: I’m happy to announce that in the fall I received my US “artist visa” (its proper name is far more fun to say: “alien with extraordinary ability in the arts or extraordinary achievement in the motion picture or television industry”… “alien” is obviously the fun word here). With this visa I have been and will be able to work both in the US and the EU. I was lucky enough to take advantage of this during the past four months, as I DPed a TV Mini Series on the East coast and afterwards continued my work on “Return to Kellogg”, an animated feature, in LA.”

From Aaron Wilhelm (BFA 97) “I moved back to Florida, I'm in Naples, about 4 years ago. I was able to relocate my business here. I have been working as a freelance video producer, editor and designer for the past 8 years with my own company AW VideoDesigns LLC (awvideodesigns.com<http://awvideodesigns.com>). I do mostly commercial work for companies ranging from big ones like Home Depot and JD Power to small mom and pops and start ups. I also work regularly with another FSU alumni on a YouTube game show called The Movie Trivia Schmoedown. I've been editing this show for several seasons now. There are many FSU alumni involved in the show, a couple of Film School folks like Dan Murrell as well. My email is awvideodesigns at gmail.com<mailto:awvideodesigns at gmail.com>. I was back on campus last Fall and was able to see around the Film School some.”

From Blake Taylor (BFA 06’)  “I’m just wrapping up my 3rd season of writing & producing CHARMED on The CW. I’ve adored getting to work with a world-class group of writers and friends this year… Even if it was a whirlwind season of virtual writers' rooms and shooting through omicron… but WE DID IT!  Season 4 premieres Friday March 11th on CW, and the next day on The CW App.  I wrote Episodes 2 and 12 this year, which are packed with magical mayhem and were a ball to write. With The CW being shopped for a potential sale (throwing many shows into limbo) and my contract being up as well, I’ll be exploring development and new staffing opportunities for the first time in years. It’d be great to come back to Charmed if the stars align, but I’m stoked to see what else is out there. Exciting times!”
From Brent Lagerman (BFA 97). “ My wife and I moved out of Brooklyn to the Hudson Valley about a year before Covid hit.  We have two kids who were outgrowing our Brooklyn condo, and I think we were also outgrowing the city life. We both had side hustles, which is mandatory for any self respecting Brooklynite.  I was running an alternative coffee company Keepers and my wife ran a pretty big holiday market, the Brooklyn Holiday Bazaar.  We're now concentrating on our branding agency, condensed.io<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/condensed.io__;!!PhOWcWs!m6J2ru7ChCPuFxGZDG6uru_qtre13xmvDD6mLKE0H1aGMMCuzxi6de_Ks0hlQfI$> which helps startups get off the ground. The timing couldn't have been better, we have a lot of hiking around us, and a ski mountain near by, so we've had plenty of fresh air and fun with the kids.  I also have a new side hustle which is repairing my 150+yr old house.  It has a lot of cool old charming details, but with that comes an un-ending stream of little reno projects.”
From Nathan Cohen (BFA 18) “I’ve just received all the paperwork for my LLC! Park Bench Pictures LLC is registered in the state of New York, and we are opening bank accounts, getting insurance, etc. Exciting times, and a lot of FSU alum have helped us get here, so thanks to all!”

Congratulations to Larry Verbit, FSU Alum and LA Entertainment Attorney and excellent supporter of the Film School, who for the 7th consecutive year has been selected by Thomson Reuters as a Southern California Super Lawyer (top 5% of Southern California lawyers.  Larry is presently working on an HBOmax pilot, two YouTube Original pilots, a series for Universal, a few projects scheduled for Disney Channel and Disney+, a Paramount+ special, a CMT series, a VH1 movie, and as always, The People’s Court, among a number of other projects.

From Rita Al Cunha (MFA 21). “It's only been 6 months since I left Tallahassee and so much has happened already. After graduating and not seeing my friends and family for over 2 years, I flew back to Portugal and spent the first month traveling and unwinding around the Iberian Peninsula. After that, and thanks to one of the directors of the show, I was taken as a trainee in the AD team of HBO's upcoming show "House of the Dragon" (a "Game of Thrones" spin-off) and worked on 8 episodes of the series. In the beginning, it was overwhelming. We were over 450 people working on set, with two walkies in different languages at all times and none of them was my own. But with time, things got much smoother, and I got the chance to place the extras in some scenes. Overall, it was a phenomenal experience and I am so thankful for everything I learned. Now, IMDB has named it the most anticipated show of 2022!
Later on, I worked on 2 episodes of Julie Plec's new vampire show, also in the AD team. And last week I started a new British project called "A Town Called Malice", on a beautiful island. The coolest part of this one is that I'm mostly in the video tent with the director, producer, and showrunner, calling the cuts and transmitting their notes.  Now my plan is to keep writing and do my independent projects on the side while learning and networking as much as possible on bigger productions. However, the Australian borders just opened so I might also just go to a goat farm on a working holiday visa. Who knows... only time will tell!”

Last year, NALIP launched the Latino Lens™: Narrative Short Film Incubator for Women of Color, sponsored by Netflix in response to the 2019 USC Annenberg Inclusion Initiative and the DGA TV Inclusion report shining a light on the lack of representation for Latine and Women of Color directors and writers. We are thrilled to announce our continued collaboration with Netflix to provide women of color filmmakers with the resources and tools needed for them to navigate the industry and produce an original short film for a second cycle,  This incubator is an open call for diverse women from underrepresented communities to submit their short narrative project. The program will empower content creators with resources, intensive mentorship, and the successful completion of their intended project. Selected participants will continue being tracked and mentored post program to ensure their success in the industry and will be able to participate in mentorship and programming at NALIP’s staple events throughout the year. Don’t miss out on this invaluable opportunity to learn, grow, and produce your next short film. https://www.nalip.org/woc_incubator?utm_campaign=nl_2_25_2022&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nalip

From Shannan Johnson (MFA Writing 08) “NOW HIRING: The Professional Pen (TPP) is a script consultancy based in Los Angeles, CA that helps creatives develop their narrative content for the screen from idea to pitch. TPP is hiring Story Experts as independent contractors. These are paid positions.

THE ROLE: STORY EXPERT
For those with a thorough understanding of storytelling for the screen (both TV and film) who have an ability to give constructive criticism that is ego-free and motivates writers to express themselves more freely. Remember, The Professional Pen believes that if you develop the writer, the content will come, so all feedback must be writer-centric. Must have a keen understanding of the written English language AND a mastery of TV and feature screenplay formatting.
THE BEST FIT
Who is best fit for this role?
Los Angeles based creatives interested in: Development, Current Programming, Producing, Screenwriting.  You do not have to be a writer to apply.
All applicants must be: Great with story of all on-screen formats and genres. Experts at the written English language, Self-starters, Deadline-focused, Willing to learn
Deadline to apply:  March 11
Apply here: www.awriterforyourwriter.com/werk<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.awriterforyourwriter.com/werk__;!!PhOWcWs!imRrOd5nM-2eKKHM7G_zjTJXa87okIHb7Qvpgegz2RulH6vluetSxFbz0Dcu3YY$>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – March 3, 2022

AliEN (MFA Thesis 2021 Shahbaz Khan) was awarded Best Superhero/Comic Book Film at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to Pensacon.com/events/short-film-festival.

Skeletons (MFA D1 2021 Steven Hedrick) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, April 26 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com.

Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) was Best Student Short at the Sedona International Film Festival in Arizona, February 19-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.sedonafilmfestival.com<http://www.sedonafilmfestival.com>.

Nicholas (BFA F3 2021 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Nice International Film Festival in France, May 15-21, and was nominated for Best Director of a Short Film, Best Short Film, Best Editing of a Short Film, Best Original Screenplay of a Short Film and Best Supporting Actor in a Short Film. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfestinternational.com/nice<http://www.filmfestinternational.com/nice>.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz), Fair to Meddlin’ (BFA F1 2021 Macy Parker), Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz), This isn’t Funny Anymore (BFA F1 2021 Summer Purks), The Girl Who Learned to Swim (MFA D2 2021 Shannon Sutherland), Shadowboxing (BFA F3 2021 Joshua Myers) and Kaiju Casanova (BFA F3 2021 Nico Weaver) were invited to screen in a special FSU CMPA Student Day of Shorts as part of the Covey Film Festival in Thomasville, Georgia on April 2nd. For more information about this event, go to https://coveyfilmfestival.org/2022-films.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the Nevermore Film Festival in Durham, North Carolina, February 25 – March 3. For more information about this festival, go to carolinatheatre.org.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at the Renegade Film Festival in Atlanta, March 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://renegadefilmfest.com.

Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) was selected for screening at the Ocean City Film Festival in Maryland, March 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.ocmdfilmfestival.com<http://www.ocmdfilmfestival.com>.

Sugar Mountain (BFA Doc 2021 Javier Barranco) was selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com<http://www.southgeorgiafilm.com>.

5:30 (MFA D1 2020 Kaitlyn Kelly), Sound Off (BFA Doc 2020 Megan Baer), Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers), Catering for COVID (BFA Doc 2021 Natalia Coiro), Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz), A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha), of our trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross), The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White), A Bloody Good Time (BFA Thesis 2021 Kaitlyn Corwin), Ground Control (BFA F3 2020 Kaitlyn Corwin) and The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) were selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com<http://www.southgeorgiafilm.com>.

Cut Short (MFA D2 2021 Charlie Andelman) was selected for screening in the Florida CinemaSlam as part of the Miami Film Festival, March 4-13. For more information about this festival, go to miamifilmfestival.com.

AliEN (MFA Thesis 2021 Shahbaz Khan) was selected for screening at the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Jackals (BFA F3 2020 Sean Menendez), Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) and Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla International Film Festival in Tampa, March 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Haunted House FearFest in Bradford in the UK, March 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/<http://www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Haunted House FearFest in Bradford in the UK, March 18-19 and is nominated for an award. For more information about this festival, go to www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/<http://www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening in the Huntington Beach Cultural Cinema Showcase on March 24th in California, and and will receive an Award of Distinction. For more information about this showcase, go to www.thecinemashowcase.com.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Houston Latino Film Festival, March 23-27. For more information about this festival, go to https://houstonlatinofilmfestival.org/.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) is one of three Nominees for a College Television Award in the category of Nonfiction or Reality Series. The winners will be announced on March 26th. For more information about this competition, also known as the Student Emmys, go to emmys.com.

Fairydust (MFA Thesis 2021 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Women’s International Film Festival, March 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.lawomensfest.com<http://www.lawomensfest.com>.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) was selected for screening at Docuwest Documentary Film Festival in Denver, March 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to docuwestfest.com.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the Film Girl Film Festival, normally held in Milwaukee, but online for this year, March 25-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmgirlfilm.com.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) and A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the American Documentary and Animation Film Festival (AmDocs) in Palm Springs, March 25-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.ameriandocumentaryfilmfestival.com<http://www.ameriandocumentaryfilmfestival.com>.

La Perrera (MFA Thesis 2021 Alex Thiel) was selected for screening at the Phoenix Film Festival, March 31 – April 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://Phoenixfilmfestival.org.

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles International Children’s Film Festival, March 3 – April 24. For more information about this festival, go to www.childrensfilmla.org.

Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Universe Multicultural Film Festival in Rolling Estates, California (on the Palos Verdes peninsula), April 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.umfilms.org<http://www.umfilms.org>.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) was selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to floridafilmfestival.com.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the PrideArts Film Fest in Chicago, March 21 – April 11. For more information about this festival, go to pridearts.org.

Skeletons (MFA D1 2021 Steven Hedrick) was selected for screening at Fantaspoa, the International Fantastic Film Festival of Porto Alegre in Brazil, April 20 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.fantaspoa.com<http://www.fantaspoa.com>.

Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Diversity Showcase in Cannes, May 17-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/.

America’s Child (BFA F1 2021 Josh Ceranic) was selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival, July 8-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org.

Daze (MFA D2 2021 Shari Petti) was selected for screening at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com.