[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 6.9.22

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Jun 9 14:57:24 EDT 2022

From Steven Acevedo (MFA 05) “LOVE AND BASEBALL is having it's East Coast Theatrical Premiere this Friday, June 10, 3pm @ Cinema Village in Manhattan. I will be there, and I heard my high school classmate, Saneel Radia<https://www.facebook.com/saneel?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZXuMi7kULFlLDmFJegtbbFgvxFt2A_YCWyv8iULordXmKBKCg9_kVnVP7pWzmOAuYhGc3TGpe_dQhExhPgs2XFcvQ9YyuVdbxZr_M9opYKQsj1KPV5J6JoK4xqEaJdIkVs&__tn__=-%5DK-R> will be there as well. This is likely the last festival screening which means it's the last opportunity to watch it on the big screen! We will enjoy cocktails after, so I would love for you to join. Please reach out and let me know if you can make it. Click here for tickets!
https://www.manhattanff.com/film_pages/view/920<https://www.manhattanff.com/film_pages/view/920?fbclid=IwAR3NivhxoaATSPSSjw3DnLxhz31e1YFJuHdjge1N6cJvz7rqXofUfRE95NY>

From Francisco Cabrera-Feo (BFA 20) “The trailer for the series I wrote for last year called "Gordita Chronicles" was just released! It's a multi-generational family comedy about the American Dream set in 80s Miami. All episodes premiere on HBOmax, June 23rd. I wrote episode 9 and was on set in Puerto Rico during its production. I'm very excited for it! These are the types of stories I've been championing since my first day in film school. If you like Fresh Off The Boat, Modern Family, or Black-ish -- this show may be for you! Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_U1mkwMLvU<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_U1mkwMLvU__;!!PhOWcWs!2AoF2xvxNFPuwiPaHlG78S68OBfGtmVlactiPfiBVQfVDMDLIdHpdnTEdumNYZR5-s5A-GTqutx1vc8rjhFarZelXw$>

From Vivian Xavier (MFA 05) “A few days ago i was fortunate to discuss my cinematography and the filmmaking process of We Don't Need Your Kind with Mina Cruz<https://www.facebook.com/mina.cruz.716?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZWGoE9NLEU6RFqa8_q2NaxIP5SB6MEyVw49Nou9MUieVnMjTRAdfPQU5Vt-B7LYUDcLP4eL4KAwH9CU1qiTRvuD4666x77FUsyxzZORx2RqPt-hdOyBRy9pEnBUcj3HMmabwqtm2swgZDOXpQJi0lsBnwS0Hy1uY6oPK_g8Ybv19dSFLRGQfBwWjDP6SlHKASnnBqEAWNiACrkOqU99Pkmj&__tn__=-%5dK-R> and Kennedy Kao<https://www.facebook.com/kenn.kao?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZWGoE9NLEU6RFqa8_q2NaxIP5SB6MEyVw49Nou9MUieVnMjTRAdfPQU5Vt-B7LYUDcLP4eL4KAwH9CU1qiTRvuD4666x77FUsyxzZORx2RqPt-hdOyBRy9pEnBUcj3HMmabwqtm2swgZDOXpQJi0lsBnwS0Hy1uY6oPK_g8Ybv19dSFLRGQfBwWjDP6SlHKASnnBqEAWNiACrkOqU99Pkmj&__tn__=-%5dK-R> which will have a special screening on Gandhara Independent Film Festival's youtube page on June 11, 2022. It was fun to revisit the reasons for jumping on board this film; reasons which are relevant today as well. It is a movie to shed light on Asian hate crimes. Something that i failed to mention was that the graciousness that has been extended to me by the #CSC<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/csc?__eep__=6&__cft__%5b0%5d=AZWGoE9NLEU6RFqa8_q2NaxIP5SB6MEyVw49Nou9MUieVnMjTRAdfPQU5Vt-B7LYUDcLP4eL4KAwH9CU1qiTRvuD4666x77FUsyxzZORx2RqPt-hdOyBRy9pEnBUcj3HMmabwqtm2swgZDOXpQJi0lsBnwS0Hy1uY6oPK_g8Ybv19dSFLRGQfBwWjDP6SlHKASnnBqEAWNiACrkOqU99Pkmj&__tn__=*NK-R> and most importantly my mentor Mat Barkley<https://www.facebook.com/mat.barkley.79?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZWGoE9NLEU6RFqa8_q2NaxIP5SB6MEyVw49Nou9MUieVnMjTRAdfPQU5Vt-B7LYUDcLP4eL4KAwH9CU1qiTRvuD4666x77FUsyxzZORx2RqPt-hdOyBRy9pEnBUcj3HMmabwqtm2swgZDOXpQJi0lsBnwS0Hy1uY6oPK_g8Ybv19dSFLRGQfBwWjDP6SlHKASnnBqEAWNiACrkOqU99Pkmj&__tn__=-%5dK-R> was not just lip service but also providing equipment for the shoot itself by Mat. That was such a huge help in getting the film made and sharing the story with the world. It really does take a village to make a movie. Here's to representation, diversity and stories that move you.”

From Tom Kurzanski (BFA 01) “After a long stint as a creative director overseeing licensed consumer products and apparel, I’ve migrated into the creator space as VP of Creative for Fanjoy. I’m overseeing an incredible team, finding renewed passion in mentorship and professional development for these young artists as we build brands and amplify creative voices through curated marketplaces. Still kicking around in Pasadena, CA with the wife and two pups!”

From Carl Rogers (MFA 16) “Wonderful news: My wife and I just had our first child! Shiloh Rhys Rogers was born on Friday, May 27th. We are very blessed by God and can't wait to start introducing him to excellent cinema!”

From Brook Durham (BFA 94) “my latest Hallmark Movie! Premiered this week —https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/hidden-gems

From Jasper Tatem (BFA ADA 15) “Had the opportunity to work on the new Disney+ series Ms. Marvel, as an Assets artist at The Third Floor Inc. Along with fellow alum Compositor/Postvis Artist Ryan Murphy (BFA ADA 15). This project luckily kept us busy many times throughout the early pandemic days. It’s a super fun show and premieres this week on June 8th.

Congratulations to Josh Little (MFA 19) who is now Lead VFX Asset Creator at ActionVFX!

From Oualid Mouaness (MFA 97) ““1982” finally arrives theaters this week - it’s been a long road...Films need a show of support on opening weekend, try to make it, get your tickets and come! Getting tickets early is recommended and very helpful and please share this email to friends... Tune in to NPR’s Morning Edition on Friday June 10…
*   NY this Friday (with Q&A's scheduled through the weekend!)
@QUAD CINEMAS<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/quadcinema.com/film/1982-2/__;!!PhOWcWs!1jEqr37QNuvaKiPCJh-gREpfDLovlNdEhxgvlCVM5Q6ySq3i3dSMkRkY_kciyht6yIYS9o90iyY$>
* LA starting June 24… (tickets are live for the Q&A 720pm shows with Q&As)
@LAEMMLE ROYAL<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.laemmle.com/film/1982-0__;!!PhOWcWs!1jEqr37QNuvaKiPCJh-gREpfDLovlNdEhxgvlCVM5Q6ySq3i3dSMkRkY_kciyht6yIYSHc5PBlU$>
* TRAILER is HERE<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeBx1C7aPzI__;!!PhOWcWs!1jEqr37QNuvaKiPCJh-gREpfDLovlNdEhxgvlCVM5Q6ySq3i3dSMkRkY_kciyht6yIYSjr5Ybk0$>
* Other regions listed on our website:   WWW.1982THEFILM.COM<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/WWW.1982THEFILM.COM__;!!PhOWcWs!1jEqr37QNuvaKiPCJh-gREpfDLovlNdEhxgvlCVM5Q6ySq3i3dSMkRkY_kciyht6yIYSPEuXR4E$>

From Steve Dollar:  “Just wanted to remind FSU Film School folks that the final deadline to submit to the Tallahassee Film Festival is July 17. Visit filmfreeway.com/TallahasseeFilmFestival<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/filmfreeway.com/TallahasseeFilmFestival__;!!PhOWcWs!xILdGsH8j2qHTm3dtq5ZzL7Qt4zhIycPgGxXgZP-fhQUq9PafcaMZkYkQ84kOMBC8iETcxTuiEaFamZBBmE$>. The festival, which runs Sept. 3-4, offers a $1,000 prize for best film by a Florida  filmmaker. Shorts, fiction and nonfiction narrative, and episodic works in any genre, including animation and experimental, are welcomed.”

From Christina Grice Morris (BFA 01). “I’m organizing for a documentary filmmaker and she has a Russian family as clients and needs an assistant editor who speaks Russian.  Christina.grice at gmail.com<mailto:Christina.grice at gmail.com>

Dreamworks Animation Trainee Program:  Trainees gain hands-on experience on a Television or Feature production while learning from award-winning artists. In addition to working directly on an actual production, Trainees are exposed to a strategically designed, comprehensive curriculum taught by industry and studio professionals. Directors and Artists mentor the Trainees in this full time, paid, 12 week long immersive program which is offered on an annual basis and is open to recent college graduates within five years of graduation or to those pivoting from a different career/industry. To learn more about when these programs are offered, make sure to follow us on LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/dreamworks-animation/?viewAsMember=true> or Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/dreamworkscareers/> to keep up to date on upcoming program announcements. Go here for application information:  APPLY HERE!<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/home/HomeWithPreLoad?partnerid=25354&siteid=5108&PageType=searchResults&SearchType=linkquery&LinkID=4388494*keyWordSearch=&locationSearch=__;Iw!!PhOWcWs!3NPmXmDF6C3rnwdVnXEELzKjWblNswBAD_xIFo_9oCuyjg9Ld8S9MofzKwAhKvimvNt_WavTAsKtUraMimMAY3m9BWjw$>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – June 9, 2022

Nicholas (BFA F3 2021 Aidan Baker) was awarded Best Supporting Actor at the Nice International Film Festival in France, May 15-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmfestinternational.com/nice<http://www.filmfestinternational.com/nice>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Houston Horror Film Festival, July 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.houstonhorrorfilmfest.com.

Spanky’s Last Day (MFA D2 2021 Anthony Fins) was selected for screening at the Midsummer Scream Halloween and Horror Convention in Los Angeles, July 29-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://midsummerscream.org.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the Alternating Currents Film Festival in Davenport, Iowa, August 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.alternatingcurrrentsqc.com<http://www.alternatingcurrrentsqc.com>.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) was selected for screening at Atlanta Shortsfest, June 25-26. For more information about this festival, go to www.atlantashortsfest.com.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) is on the Shortlist for the Yugo BAFTA Student Awards. Finalists will be announced on June 15th. For more information about this competition, go to https://www.bafta.org/supporting-talent/the-2022-yugo-bafta-student-awards-shortlist.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz), Fair to Meddlin’ (BFA F1 2021 Macy Parker), Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz), This isn’t Funny Anymore (BFA F1 2021 Summer Purks), The Girl Who Learned to Swim (MFA D2 2021 Shannon Sutherland), Shadowboxing (BFA F3 2021 Joshua Myers) and Kaiju Casanova (BFA F3 2021 Nico Weaver) were invited to screen in a special FSU CMPA Student Day of Shorts as part of the Covey Film Festival in Thomasville, Georgia at a date TBD this summer. For more information about this event, go to https://coveyfilmfestival.org/2022-films.

America’s Child (BFA F1 2021 Josh Ceranic) was selected for screening at the Vero Beach Film Festival in Florida, June 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.vbfilmfest.org.

Calypso (MFA D2 2021 Lensa Jeudy), 5:30 (MFA D1 2020 Kaitlyn Kelly) and Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) were selected for screening by the Charlotte Black Film and Music Festival, June 15-19. For more information about this festival, go to http://charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) and Skeletons (MFA D2 2021 Steve Hedrick) selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival in Tennessee, June 23-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.chattfilmfest.org<http://www.chattfilmfest.org>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Calgary Horror Con in Canada, June 25-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.horror-con.ca.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA Doc 2020 Megan Baer) is an official selection of the Hollywood Gold Awards, which will hold its awards ceremony on June 26th. For more information about this competition, go to https://hollywoodgoldawards.com.

The Confession (MFA D1 2021 Emma Francis) was selected for screening at the online June 30th edition of Cult Movies International Film Festival. For more information about this festival, go to cultmoviesint.wordpress.com.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Cryptshow Festival in Barcelona, Spain, June 24 – July 3.
For more information about this festival, go to http://cryptshow.com.

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the San Diego International Kid’s Film Festival, which runs as part of Comicon, July 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.sdchildrensfilm.org<http://www.sdchildrensfilm.org>.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA Doc 2020 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at the Picture’s Up! Film Festival in Los Angeles, July 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com.

America’s Child (BFA F1 2021 Josh Ceranic) and Teressa in the Background (MFA Thesis 2021 Stefany Espinoza) were selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival, July 8-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Midsummer Scream Halloween and Horror Convention in Los Angeles, July 29-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://midsummerscream.org.

Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz) was selected for screening at the inaugural Wine, Women & Film Festival somewhere in California, September 17-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://winewomenandfilmfestival.godaddysites.com/.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net.

Daze (MFA D2 2021 Shari Petti) was selected for screening at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com.