[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 6.3.22

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Jun 2 11:27:32 EDT 2022

From Jazmin Riviera (MFA 21) “After starting off 2022 dedicated to transitioning out of traditional TV/film production and into new media, I’m happy to share that I’ve started a new position as an Associate Producer for Social Shows at Offbeat<https://www.facebook.com/Offbeat.xyz/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZV-LNmDw7MWah0Wg-PjQ_bfP0fzOd74LngxkTmsWY_2O0LXVhxTki-vrmsdMu5aiov5w9zEuKUc_NPfsX262U8SE8At2vkIfEElGOelf5swLRJJjsh3X2C9Yyup3MEFVM9rtZdTo7Wi93ZI0PWcDcBp&__tn__=H-R> ! I'm excited to showcase my experiences in my new role and learn new skills producing for digital media from the amazing Social Shows team here at Offbeat. It's been very difficult trying to find my way as a creative professional over the past few years to get paid doing what I love without sacrificing the things in my life that to me matter the most. I'll certainly miss the entertainment world but I'm ready to take on the digital world next!”

From Octevia Robertson (BFA ADA 15) “Chip ‘N Dale: Rescue Rangers released on Disney+ last weekend. I had such a fun time working on this film as a VFX Coordinator on the show side. I was on from pre-production thru delivery (October 2020-April 2022). Working on a Disney film had its challenges (especially with clearance!) but I would definitely do it again. I learned a lot and worked with an amazing team. There were plenty of laughs, donuts, and countless Teams meetings — what more could you ask for? Incredible hard work went into making this the best film possible. All in all, I’m so proud of everyone for making this funny movie, and I can’t wait to work on another feature. I hope everyone enjoys! Here’s the trailer: https://youtu.be/F4Z0GHWHe60<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/youtu.be/F4Z0GHWHe60__;!!PhOWcWs!37ubstI_sbBScj-7AXn-vK7alNYtLERcbaJNdHU2F-EsAoP_NvF2bDXAcTwLzOV_pCTBcHePYZDpzoTgMG6CInmXFg$>

My name is Jonpaul Rodriguez, and I am an FSU MFA grad.  I've been working alongside the Los Angeles Tenant Union (LATU) and helping a group of tenants organize against unscrupulous landlord harassment. We are giving Los Angeles tenants the tools and resources everyone should have when they first move here!  We have formed a tenant association: Hartsook.Tenants and we will begin having meetings every Friday evening between 5 pm-7 pm (pst). We are located in the North Hollywood Arts District, on Hartsook Tree - we're the ones with the MASSIVE magnolia tree - you can't miss us!
All FSU Film family members who live in Los Angeles are more than welcome to attend! We will be talking about our experiences, and trying to help others navigate the tenant/landlord waters here. We will have members of LATU present as well! It's a great way to feel like a part of the city and the community! So, look forward to workshops, pamphlets, community, and solidarity!  I encourage all FSU Film Family members to follow on Instagram - @Hartsook.Tenants

From Julia Friedman (BFA 14) “wanted to share my recent short autobiographical documentary, "A Nice Little Film About a Nice Little Death," now playing for free on Short of the Week! This was a rewarding personal venture that explores the nature of timely and untimely familial deaths. It came out on Short of the Week on May 17th, and will play at Rooftop Films in New York City on June 17th. Also it's produced by Val and my production company, Toothpick & we are very excited to share it!!  xx hortoftheweek.com/2022/05/17/a-nice-little-film-about-a-nice-little-death/?fbclid=IwAR3ZqOS_WavRbfdusklbbzCYPdu7I2VAjnXTOFeagqjiHsl8VDA-fK96BbY

From Andrew Syder:  Look who I discovered had taken over my favorite cinema in London yesterday: our very own Aaron Moorhead, (BFA 08) screening two of his films before jumping into production on the new season of Loki on Monday! The UK audience went wild for the movies and, man, Aaron and his partner-in-crime Justin are the kings of the Q&A. Check out any of their interviews for a master class on how to talk about your work!   He did a recent one on Mick Garris's Post-Morten podcast that's terrific.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – June 2, 2022

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) is on the Shortlist for the Yugo BAFTA Student Awards. Finalists will be announced on June 5th. For more information about this competition, go to https://www.bafta.org/supporting-talent/the-2022-yugo-bafta-student-awards-shortlist.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was awarded Best LGBTQ Short at Cannes in the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase, May 17-28. For more information about this showcase, go to https://www.ampav.com/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/2022-finalists-emerging-filmmaker-showcase.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Calgary Horror Con in Canada, June 25-26. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.horror-con.ca.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Midsummer Scream Halloween and Horror Convention in Los Angeles, July 29-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://midsummerscream.org.

Jolina (MFA D1 2019 Jingwen Zhao) won the Critic’s Choice Award in the Student Category at the monthly screening of World Film Carnival - Singapore. For more information about this festival, go to https://worldfilmcarnival.com.

Aspie Romance (MFA D1 2019 Bobby Burns) was selected as a Semi-Finalist for the Student LA Film Awards. The screening for all winners throughout the year is held on November 15 in Los Angeles. For more information about this competition, go to http://lafilmawards.com/.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz), Fair to Meddlin’ (BFA F1 2021 Macy Parker), Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz), This isn’t Funny Anymore (BFA F1 2021 Summer Purks), The Girl Who Learned to Swim (MFA D2 2021 Shannon Sutherland), Shadowboxing (BFA F3 2021 Joshua Myers) and Kaiju Casanova (BFA F3 2021 Nico Weaver) were invited to screen in a special FSU CMPA Student Day of Shorts as part of the Covey Film Festival in Thomasville, Georgia at a date TBD this summer. For more information about this event, go to https://coveyfilmfestival.org/2022-films.

The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White) was selected for screening at the FlickFair Film Festival, online on June 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.flickfair.com.

America’s Child (BFA F1 2021 Josh Ceranic) was selected for screening at the Vero Beach Film Festival in Florida, June 9-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.vbfilmfest.org.

Calypso (MFA D2 2021 Lensa Jeudy), 5:30 (MFA D1 2020 Kaitlyn Kelly) and Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) were selected for screening by the Charlotte Black Film and Music Festival, June 15-19. For more information about this festival, go to http://charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) and Skeletons (MFA D2 2021 Steve Hedrick) selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival in Tennessee, June 23-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.chattfilmfest.org.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA Doc 2020 Megan Baer) is an official selection of the Hollywood Gold Awards, which will hold its awards ceremony on June 26th. For more information about this competition, go to https://hollywoodgoldawards.com.

The Confession (MFA D1 2021 Emma Francis) was selected for screening at the online June 30th edition of Cult Movies International Film Festival. For more information about this festival, go to cultmoviesint.wordpress.com.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Cryptshow Festival in Barcelona, Spain, June 24 – July 3.
For more information about this festival, go to http://cryptshow.com.

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the San Diego International Kid’s Film Festival, which runs as part of Comicon, July 21-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.sdchildrensfilm.org<http://www.sdchildrensfilm.org>.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA Doc 2020 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at the Picture’s Up! Film Festival in Los Angeles, July 22-24. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com.

America’s Child (BFA F1 2021 Josh Ceranic) and Teressa in the Background (MFA Thesis 2021 Stefany Espinoza) were selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival, July 8-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org.

Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz) was selected for screening at the inaugural Wine, Women & Film Festival somewhere in California, September 17-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://winewomenandfilmfestival.godaddysites.com/.

Daze (MFA D2 2021 Shari Petti) was selected for screening at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com.