[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 2.24.22

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Feb 24 12:07:34 EST 2022

The Pub is filling up but there’s still a table or a place at the bar for you! It’s a great place to talk about what you’ve been up to, connect with old friends, find crew members, and whatever else might be helpful to you and the community. Let us know what you want/need. Email invites are going out to Film School Alumni again today so you don’t have to dig for the last one we sent. If you don’t see one in your inbox, email Brenda (bmills at film.fsu.edu<mailto:bmills at film.fsu.edu>) and she’ll hook you up.

From Dean Braddock:   Dear FSUFILM,  Yesterday we were informed that our own George Geiger passed away suddenly. Many of you knew George from the writing program where he taught TV writing here every summer. He has been an important part of our College and essential to our writing program. We don’t have any other information at this time but I wanted you all to know as soon as we did. He will be sorely missed.”   NOTE:  George's obituary should appear within about a week on a webpage provided by the David C. Gross Funeral Home in St. Petersburg. The web address to access this page will be: davidcgross.com<http://davidcgross.com/>. Once the page is up, those interested will be able to read the obit as well as post comments, condolences, etc.

Congratulations, @Wes Ball<https://fsufilmpub.com/users/2192722> (BFA 02)  ! https://collider.com/wes-ball-harbinger-movie-director-comic-book-adaptation/

Aaron Moorhead (BFA 08)  and his directing partner Justin Benson will be directing season 2 of Loki. https://deadline.com/2022/02/loki-justin-benson-aaron-moorhead-1234934381/

From Tavner Murphy (BFA 13) “It’s been a wild 8 years since graduating. I have been fortunate to live and work Camera Department in New York, Los Angeles, and New Orleans and learn under some phenomenal DPs. Four years ago I moved up from primarily 1st ACing to working full time as a DP and Camera Operator, and it’s high time I provide an update!  During lockdown I was accepted to a new private mentorship community for emerging cinematographers, “Growth & Co”, which has since proven to be an incredible resource. Alex Bock (BFA 14) is also a member. I encourage any up and coming DPs to apply when they reopen applications for new members this Spring, and anyone can check out the Zoom panels the mentors have hosted for free on YouTube<https://youtube.com/channel/UCE_0nE0QWojaJK4En6ecDpA>. They are insightful, no BS discussions with people like Ryan Booth and Chayse Irvin, ASC. Early last year I fell in love and moved yet again to Nashville, Tennessee where I’ve discovered a strong film community and now have my hands busy with a full slate of projects. I lensed my first Indie feature on location in Oregon last fall, which will have another leg of production in LA later this year. Additionally a country music video<https://youtu.be/Eeiw-CR-7aY> I shot in October premiered and ran on CMT throughout February. Finally, next month I will be Camera Operating on an upcoming Apple+ Series<https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/apple-country-music-competition-series-reese-witherspoon-my-kind-of-country-1234737264/>, executive produced by Reese Witherspoon. It’s my first Union show for a big streamer and I’m very excited! I also have more music videos in the works. None of any of this would have been possible without the education I received at FSU Film and the unwavering support of former classmates as well as the greater FSU Film community. I would love to connect and collaborate with more alums, especially anyone who’s interested in Nashville or New Orleans. Give me a shout!

From Samuel Bellamy (MFA 18) "A short film that I was assistant editor on last summer as part of the Emerging Filmmaker Initiative, Heart Shot, has finally dropped on Netflix! It's a romance/action short that centers on two young queer women. It was written, directed, and edited all by queer women (alongside other LGBTQIA+ crew members). Please go watch Heart Shot on Netflix and support queer films and filmmakers!"

From Shannon Gregory (MFA 05) “I'm outside of Washington DC now, my fiancé (as of Jan 2nd!) had to move here for work in 2020 and I came along. I'm working for a government contractor in their communications department. They want to make these mini-documentaries to highlight their tech. I'm still writing and reading for production companies as needed.

From Alex Durham (BFA 06) “Race: Bubba Wallace, a six-part docuseries I edited, premieres today on Netflix and it has quickly become one of my favorite projects I’ve ever worked on. From director Erik Parker, Race goes behind the scenes of the NASCAR Cup Series and its only black driver as he competes for Michael Jordan’s newly formed 23XI racing team. The series follows Bubba as he uses his voice to push for social change on and off the track and also tackles issues like mental health, depression and, of course, race. It reveals just how difficult and expensive it is to compete at the highest level of the sport and showcases the immense pressure these young drivers have on their shoulders to end up in Victory Lane. I was the finishing editor on all of the episodes and we worked hard to make the races and crashes riveting throughout. I signed onto this project for my brother, who always had an intense passion for racing and I’m proud I was able to work on a series I know he would have loved. If you have Netflix, please consider checking it out. “

BREAK PAID CAMERA OPERATOR OPPORTUNITYWe had students and faculty work on this last year. It is legit.  " I reached out to you last year for some help with an equestrian shoot in Tallahassee and I worked with some students (and one instructor) who did a great job running camera. For refresher this is The Red Hills Horse Trials Saturday March 12 and I am running a camera crew covering a several mile long cross country course and can use some additional camera operators for the day. I also might need one or two for Friday March 11 to cover a couple of rings. I only need camera operators and the gear is very straightforward. All gear is ours and students would only be required to bring what they need to handle themselves (backpack, cooler, sunblock). It’s an outdoor gig from early morning til late afternoon (there is no concrete schedule yet). This year we will be live streaming which tends to make things a little more interesting. The pay is $20 per hour with a guarantee of at least 10 hours (so at least $200-after that hourly) and will be paid by check at the end of the day. Here’s a quick primer for what’s expected:  how to shoot cross country - YouTube<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h7-FdKgmXQ__;!!PhOWcWs!j8wJQPBa5Bs9Xf7DV4zEuG5GBKWi9ccGjXXq2L8zACjONCbXPXBjgkars155B3W8$>
And here’s a link to our website: https://rnsvideomedia.com/CONTACT:
Mark Fallon
rnsprod at comcast.net<mailto:rnsprod at comcast.net>
708-599-8694<tel:7085998694> (editado)

UPCOMING SCREENPLAY CONTEST DEADLINES

2/26/2022
Hollywood Just4Shorts Screenplay Contest<https://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=306&content_type=10>

2/26/2022
Breaking Walls Thriller Screenplay Contest<https://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=278&content_type=10>
4/4/2022
Scriptapalooza Screenwriting Competition<https://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=169&content_type=10>
 4/4/2022
Scriptapalooza Fellowship<https://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=319&content_type=10>

4/11/2022
PAGE International Screenwriting Awards<https://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=25&content_type=10>
 5/2/2022
Shore Scripts Short Film Fund<https://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=315&content_type=10>
5/16/2022
Austin Film Festival & Writers Conference<https://www.donedealpro.com/members/details.aspx?object_id=314&content_type=10>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – February 24, 2022

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) was awarded Best Documentary at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, February 18-20. For more information about this festival, go to Pensacon.com/events/short-film-festival.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) was a finalist in the Documentary Short category and was awarded Best Student Project at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Sugar Mountain (BFA Doc 2021 Javier Barranco) was selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com<http://www.southgeorgiafilm.com>.

Skeletons (MFA D1 2021 Steven Hedrick) was selected for screening at Fantaspoa, the International Fantastic Film Festival of Porto Alegre in Brazil, April 20 – May 1. For more information about this festival, go to www.fantaspoa.com<http://www.fantaspoa.com>.

Stand Tall (MFA D2 2019 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles International Children’s Film Festival, March 3 – April 24. For more information about this festival, go to www.childrensfilmla.org.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening in the Horror Film Awards, based in New York, on February 24th. For more information about this festival, go to https://horrorfilmawards.com.

Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) was selected for screening at the Sedona International Film Festival in Arizona, February 19-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.sedonafilmfestival.com<http://www.sedonafilmfestival.com>.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the Nevermore Film Festival in Durham, North Carolina, February 25 – March 3. For more information about this festival, go to carolinatheatre.org.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at the Renegade Film Festival in Atlanta, March 3-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://renegadefilmfest.com.

Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) was selected for screening at the Ocean City Film Festival in Maryland, March 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.ocmdfilmfestival.com<http://www.ocmdfilmfestival.com>.

5:30 (MFA D1 2020 Kaitlyn Kelly), Sound Off (BFA Doc 2020 Megan Baer), Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers), Catering for COVID (BFA Doc 2021 Natalia Coiro), Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz), A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha), of our trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross), The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White), A Bloody Good Time (BFA Thesis 2021 Kaitlyn Corwin), Ground Control (BFA F3 2020 Kaitlyn Corwin) and The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) were selected for screening at the South Georgia Film Festival in Valdosta, March 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.southgeorgiafilm.com<http://www.southgeorgiafilm.com>.

Cut Short (MFA D2 2021 Charlie Andelman) was selected for screening in the Florida CinemaSlam as part of the Miami Film Festival, March 4-13. For more information about this festival, go to miamifilmfestival.com.

AliEN (MFA Thesis 2021 Shahbaz Khan) was selected for screening at the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Jackals (BFA F3 2020 Sean Menendez), Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) and Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Gasparilla International Film Festival in Tampa, March 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Haunted House FearFest in Bradford in the UK, March 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/<http://www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Haunted House FearFest in Bradford in the UK, March 18-19 and is nominated for an award. For more information about this festival, go to www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/<http://www.hauntedhousefearfest.com/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening in the Huntington Beach Cultural Cinema Showcase on March 24th in California, and and will receive an Award of Distinction. For more information about this showcase, go to www.thecinemashowcase.com.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Houston Latino Film Festival, March 23-27. For more information about this festival, go to https://houstonlatinofilmfestival.org/.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) is one of three Nominees for a College Television Award in the category of Nonfiction or Reality Series. The winners will be announced on March 26th. For more information about this competition, also known as the Student Emmys, go to emmys.com.

Fairydust (MFA Thesis 2021 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the Los Angeles Women’s International Film Festival, March 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.lawomensfest.com<http://www.lawomensfest.com>.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) was selected for screening at Docuwest Documentary Film Festival in Denver, March 24-27. For more information about this festival, go to docuwestfest.com.

Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor) was selected for screening at the Film Girl Film Festival, normally held in Milwaukee, but online for this year, March 25-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmgirlfilm.com.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) and A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the American Documentary and Animation Film Festival (AmDocs) in Palm Springs, March 25-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.ameriandocumentaryfilmfestival.com<http://www.ameriandocumentaryfilmfestival.com>.

La Perrera (MFA Thesis 2021 Alex Thiel) was selected for screening at the Phoenix Film Festival, March 31 – April 3. For more information about this festival, go to http://Phoenixfilmfestival.org.

Recipient MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Universe Multicultural Film Festival in Rolling Estates, California (on the Palos Verdes peninsula), April 8-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.umfilms.org<http://www.umfilms.org>.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) was selected for screening at the Florida Film Festival in Orlando, April 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to floridafilmfestival.com.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the PrideArts Film Fest in Chicago, March 21 – April 11. For more information about this festival, go to pridearts.org.

Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Diversity Showcase in Cannes, May 17-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/.

America’s Child (BFA F1 2021 Josh Ceranic) was selected for screening at the Orlando International Film Festival, July 8-15. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.orlandointernationalfilmfestival.org.

Daze (MFA D2 2021 Shari Petti) was selected for screening at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com.