[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 8.26.22

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Aug 26 08:18:48 EDT 2022

The FSUFILM Pub is open for business and 650 of your fellow alums are in it, posting jobs and news. We have alums in the Pub now from every graduating year and from all over the country and world. Connect! Make the Pub what you want it to be. If you can't find your invite, hit Brenda up (bmills at film.fsu.edu<mailto:bmills at film.fsu.edu>).

“The feature film As It’s Remembered is a dark, cerebral, Sci-fi about a woman trying to retroactively save her boyfriend from being murdered. It was just released by Gravitas Ventures on Apple TV and Amazon Prime. It was made by a team of FSU graduates in one week on a budget of five thousand dollars. It was directed by Dustin .D McLean, MFA ‘12, produced by George Telonis, MFA ‘12 and was shot  by Devin Daily, also MFA ’12. Many, many FSU people helped make the film, which also features performances from FSU legend Chip Chalmers and alumni Kyle Reid, MFA ‘11, who also served as gaffer.  The filmmakers are grateful to all who worked on the project and anyone who wants to check it out. https://tv.apple.com/us/movie/as-its-remembered/umc.cmc.546nf184k9aack3riz0looi3h<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/tv.apple.com/us/movie/as-its-remembered/umc.cmc.546nf184k9aack3riz0looi3h__;!!PhOWcWs!z3BSPiWAQGp0kXUl_GfwROn0JzXqEy1Mri6o1_lBWxDbvYZb7mqlOkJ4GPWvP8DZXPfzWrpmEYdBfT2sYuW8cde2$>”

From Cody Gallo (BFA 05) “Well, after 16 years, I'm finally ready to go back to University! Excited to share that I will be pursuing a Masters Degree in Media and Interaction Design at the University of Bergen, and co-located in the Media City Bergen industry fusion hub. Sometimes your Plan B becomes Plan A. When we were deciding to move to Bergen, I came across this program and tagged it as an idea in case I couldn't find work locally. Instead, we moved here, I connected with an amazing Norwegian filmmaking community and have been working almost nonstop since we landed. However, I found myself still being drawn back to a series of ideas that I have become passionate about, and I realized that this Masters program is the perfect fit for developing those ideas and skillsets.  I am grateful to the close friends and family that have put up with listening to my ideas for years. Now I'm ready to craft them into an applied, Masters thesis.”

From Jeremy Luno (BFA 00) “Landed my dream job just recently. I’m building a high school film & video program from the ground up. I’ve wanted to do this since I was in high school.”

From Fran Ervin (MFA 04) “Pride & Prudence wins best screenplay at the 2022 Ojai Film Festival! So grateful to everyone at this amazing festival which will be sponsoring a table read production of my script at this year’s festival.”

From Steven Wingate (MFA 91) “When I first started university teaching full-time in 2001 I found a secondhand binder abandoned by a retiring professor. I've used it every year since then and it's gotten a bit, uh, beat up. (It's had several generations of duct tape holding it together.) So in honor of making full professor I've switched it out for a "new" one (which came from Boulder and might have been used by Prof. Virgil Grillo back in the day). I made the switch because it's been a long 28 year climb to be Prof. Steven Wingate and I'm tired. I've worn so many hats in academia--part-time staff, full-time staff, adjunct, instructor, visiting asst. prof, and the whole assistant/associate thing--that it takes most of my energy to not feel jaded about the industry. Here's hoping that this new/old classroom binder will help me hit the reset button and find my youthful enthusiasm for however long I have left in academia. (N.B.: It ain't another 28 years.)”

From Oualid Mouaness (MFA 97) “30 CITIES thus far - stunned and thankful as 1982 The Film continues to be discovered and seen... going into October.. #cinema #filmsthattravel Seattle WA 8/26 SIFF, Phoenix AZ 8/26 Harkins Theater, Orlando FL 9/2 Enzian Theater, Bloomington IN 9/2 The Ryder Magazine and Film Series, Charleston WV 9/3 Floralee Hark Cohen Cinema by WVIFF, REPRISING in Los Angeles, CA 9/3-9/25 at Beverly Hills' Lumiere Cinema at the Music Hall Opening in Washington DC 9/9 Landmark's E Street Cinema, Cleveland 9/17 OH Cinematheque at the Cleveland Institute of Art Tallahassee 9/29 Opening Nights at Florida State University REPRISING in New York 10/2 New Plaza Cinema Opening in Boston 10/14 Landmark's Kendall Square Cinema Arab Film and Media Institute ALIF Institute Asian World Film Festival Washington, DC International Film Festival ACCESS Arab American National Museum Sideways Media Lebanese American Chamber of Commerce Lebanese In The Usa & Canada Lebanese Americans Arabs in Seattle Arab America Utopia Movies Sudbury Indie Cinema Co-op Revue Cinema Lebanese In The Usa & Canada Lebanese Film Festival in Canada"

From Jasper Tatum (BFA ADA 15) “I had the pleasure of working on the She Hulk mini series that premiered this week on Disney+ Spent 14 months with The Third Floor, Inc. on pre-visualization through post-visualization. The show is a lot of fun and I am proud to see everyone's hard work finally out there.”    And From Geri Ingall (BFA 17) “I worked under the assistant editors on this show! Forever grateful for all the opportunities I’ve been given to learn and grow so much.”

From JP Perry (BFA 04) “I had a “tiny” contribution to this show — shooting macro sequences for Hawaii Volcanoes, Grand Tetons, and Badlands episodes. (National Geographic’s America’s National Parks).  I’m excited to see it next week and hope you will too!”

From Brenda Mills:  The Tallahassee Film Festival runs Labor Day Weekend, and we have some student films screening in it (two 2022 docs, "Listen to My Voice" and "To Live and Die"). Just heard about an alum film that will also be playing in the festival, Yelling Fire in an Empty Theater, which will screen at 10:30pm at Cap City Video Lounge on Saturday, September 3rd. The film also screened at Slamdance. The director, Justin Zuckerman, and producer Ryan Brown, both from the BFA class of 2015 will be here with the film. If you're interested in making underground indie films and/or moving to New York, you want to meet these guys. Let me know if you're interested and maybe I can set up a get-together of some sort.”

Richard Travis (MFA 91) has a couple of new articles in DigiNole.  “ They are:  1)  Revisiting the Fluorescent Mosaic Technique. 2)  New Method for Observing, Demonstrating, and Teaching Additive Color Mixture     Doing a search for 'DigiNole repository' will get to the site.
Copy-and-pasting the titles should bring up pdf copies of the articles.  Should anyone want to print the articles, only Figure 1 in both articles should be printed. The other figures should not be printed as they are designed for onscreen display only; printing them would waste
an inordinate amount of ink unnecessarily.”

CALL FOR MUSIC SCORE/COMPOSER, Ringling College of Arts & Design, Project title - Leonard Reid’s Legacy.  We are looking for a composer to score the documentary project. We are working on telling the story and legacy of Sarasota’s early African American settler Leonard Reid and his family quests that defines the great city of Sarasota as we know it today. The film will also dive into the history of Newtown formally known as Overtown, digging even deeper into what some may have known as the black bottom.  Ringling College is located in Sarasota, Florida. This project the school is producing alongside the Sarasota African American Cultural Coalition, Inc (SAACC), and Mauricette Pictures is the first ever told story of the great pioneer Leonard Reid. upon completion of the film, It will be surfing through the film festival circuit, and PBS will be involved in possible distribution. Leonard Reid is a hero to the city of Sarasota. We’re looking for heroic scores, cinematic and motivational. We love to collaborate, we are more than willing to sit and listen to your ideas on the music as well. If you’re interested, have concerns, or have any questions please feel free to contact the director and Producer of the project Will Mauricette:
Email: Wmauric1 at c.ringling.edu<mailto:Wmauric1 at c.ringling.edu>
Telephone: (941) 894-9460

From Garrard Whatley (BFA 93)  of Seismic Post Audio here, hope all is well! I'm looking for some recent grads that have an interest in working in post-production audio. I'll need to know:

  1.  Do you have a home-based Pro Tools rig that you work from? If so, what version of Pro Tools are you on (whether or not it is PT Ultimate, and what version #)
  2.  Any credits they may have (even if student projects/short films), any samples of work that can be shared as a link and viewed online.
  3.  While not as important as it used to be, whether or not they live in Los Angeles (where I am located). Work will be remote in any case.
  4.  Do you also have experience as a production sound mixer on set?
  5.  Those interested can provide this information and email Seismic at seismicpostaudio at gmail.com<mailto:seismicpostaudio at gmail.com>.
At Stage 32, we’re always trying to find new ways to help our writers grow, learn and find success. That’s why we decided to create the Stage 32 Feature Screenwriting Fellowship Contest.  You will have 5 chances to be selected as a winner, and receive:

  *   6 Months of one-on-one virtual mentoring meetings with a pro who chooses you
  *   An exclusive virtual round table discussion each month for 6 months with a different top industry professional
  *   Your portfolio sent to agents & managers handpicked by Stage 32 who are actively looking for new material
  *   Work with Stage 32 to develop your script’s pitch deck for the market.
  *   Get a free membership to the Stage 32 Writers’ Room and free access to some of Stage 32’s educational resources
  *   Continued support from the Stage 32 team to help move your career forward and get you in front of decision makers!
  *   Stage 32 will be a champion for your script - once you’re part of our community, we make sure you rise to the top!This contest is open to all genres of feature scripts, and you can submit today on FilmFreeway!
From Lucas Muratore (MFA 20) “Ticketing and Check In Lead:  Persons will be assigned to taking tickets and handing out credentials, wristbands, and other needs upon spectator arrival. As well as using Staff and WIll Call lists as needed to assign credentials and track attendance. Dates: Travel: Wednesday 9/21; Set up: Thursday 9/22 11am-6pm; Sales: Friday 9/23 - Sunday 9/25 9am-9pm; Travel: Monday 9/26. Merch Sales:  Persons will help fold sort, and manage sales fot the merchandise booth. As well as count up inventory before and after the start of the show. Dates: Travel: Wednesday 9/21; Staffing: Thursday - Sunday 9/25 7am-9pm; Travel: Monday 9/26. Feel free to share my contact info with any interested parties. The rate would be $200/10.  lmuratore at ee.gg<mailto:lmuratore at ee.gg>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – August 25, 2022

I Am My Sister’s Keeper (MFA D1 2021 Maya Brown) was a Quarter Finalist at the Black August Film Festival in Pasadena on August 13th. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackaugustfilmfestival.com<http://www.blackaugustfilmfestival.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was awarded Best Florida Film at the Popcorn Frights Film Festival in Miami, August 11-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://popcornfrights.com.

Church Camp (BFA Thesis 2022 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Out on Film in Atlanta, September 22 – October 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.outonfilm.org.

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis) and Briefly Gorgeous (MFA Thesis 2021 Elijah Barry) were selected for screening at the Shockfest: Theater of Mystery event, an online festival experience happening in December. For more information about this festival, go to facebook.com/shockfesthorrorfactory<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.facebook.com/shockfesthorrorfactory__;!!Epnw_ITfSMW4!pOQHMa7HdEV4_mHA7R0xCBDdKssFay04idoJW7tNU2pveta_kTHSFzpJd1xjb9i6L1MHWzpPaQk8QRBvCIU3jEud$>.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the Miami Underground Film Festival on October 1. For more information about this festival, go to http://miamiundergroundfilmfestival.com.

Girlhood (BFA Thesis 2022 Jaelyn Ellis) was awarded Best Director, 16-22 age category at the Girl Improved Film & Television Festival in Austin, August 5-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://girlimproved.com.

Paracosm (BFA F3 2022 Natalia Coiro) was nominated for Best College Student Film at Victory International Film Festival in Evansville, Indiana, September 9-10. For more information about this festival go to www.victoryiff.com<http://www.victoryiff.com>.

Miss Flores (BFA Documentary 2021 Juliana Toloza) was invited to stream on the Houston Latino Film Festival Hispanic Heritage Month online streaming even from September 15 to October 15. For more information about this event, go to https://houstonlatinofilmfestival.org.

Come Healing (MFA D2 2021 Bobby Burns) was selected for screening at the KinoDrome Film Festival in Cleveland on September 25. For more information about this festival, go to KinoDrome.festival at gmail.com<mailto:KinoDrome.festival at gmail.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Horrorigins Film Festival in Tuscon, Arizona, September 30 – October 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.horrorigins.com.

Children Get Older (BFA F3 2022 William Andrews) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Film Festival, September 28 – October 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.charlottefilmfestival.org<http://www.charlottefilmfestival.org>.

Tabloid (BFA F3 2022 Indie DiMartino) is a Semi-Finalist for the NYC Indie Shorts Awards, September 8-10. For more information about this competition, go to https://indieshortsawards.com/newyork.

Paracosm (BFA F3 2022 Natalia Coiro), The Gift (MFA D1 2020 Vyky Saiz) and Listen to My Voice (BFA Documentary 2022 Ryan Muina/Bryce Hinschberger) were selected for screening at the Student World Impact Film Festival in Paramus, New Jersey, dates TBD. For more information about this festival go to www.lightfilmfest.org/swiff-festival.

Tessa in the Background (MFA Thesis 2021 Stefany Rodriguez) was selected for screening at The Women’s Film Festival in Philadelphia, August 18-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.thewomensfilmfestival.org<http://www.thewomensfilmfestival.org>.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the Alternating Currents Film Festival in Davenport, Iowa, August 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.alternatingcurrrentsqc.com<http://www.alternatingcurrrentsqc.com>.

The Last F*cking Straw (MFA D1 2021 Jason Anthony) was selected for screening at the Sidewalk Film Festival, August 22-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.sidewalkfest.com<http://www.sidewalkfest.com>.

The Girl Who Learned to Swim (MFA D2 2021 Shannon Sutherland) was selected for screening at the BronzeLens film festival in Atlanta, August 23-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com.

In Your Sheets (BFA Thesis 2022 Connie O’Connor) was selected for NoBudge, in Brooklyn and online, August 1-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://nobudge.com.

Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz) was selected for screening at the Women X Film Festival in Parkgate, UK, September 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to https://riannepictures.com/womenx.

Listen to my Voice (BFA Documentary 2022 Ryan Muina & Bryce Hinschberger) and To Live and Die (BFA Documentary 2022 Isabella Nemcik) were selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, September 3-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com.

Paracosm (BFA F3 2022 Natalia Coiro) was selected for screening at the Victory International Film Festival in Evansville, Indiana, September 9-10. For more information about this festival go to www.victoryiff.com<http://www.victoryiff.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the HorrorHound Weekend in Cincinnati, Ohio, September 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to https://horrorhoundweekend.com.

Days of Glory/Dias de Gloria (BFA F3 2021 Melissa Calderon) was selected for screening at the Festival de Cine Latino Americano – Norte in Denton, Texas, September 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to https://fdcla-texas.org.

Girlhood (BFA Thesis 2022 Jaelyn Ellis) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, September 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.serfilmfestival.com.

Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz) was selected for screening at the inaugural Wine, Women & Film Festival somewhere in California, September 17-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://winewomenandfilmfestival.godaddysites.com/.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net>.

Listen to My Voice (BFA Documentary 2022 Ryan Muina/Bryce Hinschberger) was selected for screening and is a finalist in the Mountain Shadow Short Film Competition in Walnut Creek, California on September 24th. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.mountainshadow.org/annual-film-competition.

Calypso (MFA D2 2021 Lensa Jeudy) was selected for screening at the Imagine This Women’s Festival in Brooklyn, September 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.imaginethisprods.com<http://www.imaginethisprods.com>.

The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White) was selected for screening at the Tallgrass International Film Festival in Wichita, Kansas, September 28 – October 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallgrassfilmfest.com<http://www.tallgrassfilmfest.com>.

Girlhood (BFA Thesis 2022 Jaelyn Ellis) was selected for screening at the San Antonio Black International Film Festival, October 6-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com<http://www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com>.

Daze (MFA D2 2021 Shari Petti) was selected for screening at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

Yeah, Yeah (BFA F1 2021 Ian Linn) was selected for screening at the Crown Heights Film Festival in Brooklyn, October 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.crownheightsfilmfestival.com<http://www.crownheightsfilmfestival.com>.

Fries & Monkey Thighs (MFA D1 2021 Raven Carter), Girlhood (BFA Thesis 2022 Jaelyn Ellis) and Don’t Do That (MFA D1 2021 Aadrise Johnson) were selected for screening at the Black Women in Comedy Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.bwicf.com.

Suzzanne (BFA Thesis 2022 Pierce Ryan) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale Film Festival, November 4-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

“Let me see your nail!” (BFA Documentary 2022 Hang Nguyen) was selected for screening at The NewsFest in Pasadena, November 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.thenewsfest.com<http://www.thenewsfest.com>.

Recipient (MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) is a Semi-Finalist at the Miami Short Film Festival, November 11-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.miamishortfilmfestival.com<http://www.miamishortfilmfestival.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the New York City Horror Film Festival, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.nychorrorfest.com.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at Shockfest Film Festival in Los Angeles on December 10th. For more information about this festival, go to www.shockfilmfest.com<http://www.shockfilmfest.com>.