[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 8.18.22

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Aug 18 10:05:43 EDT 2022

From Dean Reb Braddock:   Hello FSUFILM!  In case you didn’t see the Hollywood reporter came out with their annual film school rankings. While not the model of any scientific ranking methods, we ranked 14 this year! We were 15th last year and 20th in 2020, so we’ll take that 14 and run with it! Thanks to our excellent faculty, staff and alums who make us great and who keep Hollywood nervously on edge as we slowly take over the Biz.To all our current and incoming students; keep your game strong and continue to make great films, it’s up to you to push us upwards into the top Ten! Congratulations All!  https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/best-american-film-schools-ranked-2022-1235190992/amp/

Really nice article in today’s Tallahassee Democrat, including a super picture of our leader.  Go here to view: https://tinyurl.com/5n8v7re2

From Kelsey Scott (MFA)  “My hubby produces. Writes. Directs. Acts. Sometimes he does them all in one project - and invites his wife along for the journey:) Join us in celebrating the first effort from Griot Theatre Films. In the style of Hamilton, we took this story from the stage to the screen. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10159205376907858&set=a.392422332857

From Will Sampson (BFA 09) “I just wrapped a show for Noggin (Nickelodeon's preschool channel with Shane Spiegel (director, bfa 20011). I was the DP and had to hire a local crew but instead of rolling the dice on an unknown local I hit up two of my former students from last summer and put them in as B cam (Beatriz) and AC (Hollis). It may have seemed like a risk hiring 2 FSU seniors for a full on 6 episode high budget show but I thought knew what I was getting. I was wrong though. I got so much more. They immediately blended into the seasoned crew, taking on their responsibilities in extremely challenging and different environments including safaris, NASA, and even a hot air balloon basket. Every day was different and they absolutely rose to the occasion. Along the way executive's and producers from Noggin, Nickelodeon, and Paramount stopped in to see the set and Hollis and Beatriz made impressions on all of them. I was personally told by multiple seasoned professionals including production heads how impressed they were with them both. Not only does this speak incredibly highly of both of their character, work ethic, and drive, it also is proof of what we all know; FSU produces amazing graduates who can immediately work in the industry. I could not be prouder of the two of them and now Shane and I, along with a host of impressed folks from multiple networks, eagerly await their graduation so we can hire them again.”

August 24th is the deadline to apply to Film Independent for the Project Involve fellowship. Six fellows develop and produce six original short films, from pitch through First Look Screening.

https://www.filmindependent.org/programs/project-involve/

Notice @Barry Jenkins in the photos below, and @Faren Humes<https://fsufilmpub.com/users/2202551> in the image below the "Eligibility and Applications" header if you follow the link.

From Clinton Cornwell (MFA13) “"Just moved to Nashville and started a new position as a professor running the film program at Tennessee State University. Would love to connect with any alums in the Nashville area!"

10 Best Road Trip Movies From The 2020s On Prime Video (Ranked By IMDb) From the Academy Award-winning movie Nomadland to lesser-known movies such as She's in Portland, these movies are available to watch on Prime now.  She's in Portland is a movie about two old friends who, envying each other's lives, take a road trip to find "the one that got away." Through the course of their road trip, the two men bond and rekindle their friendship that doesn't rely on machismo for the two men to be taken seriously.  NOTE:  This was a major Film Alum project:  Marc Carlini (MFA 05) was Director, Writer, Producer and Editor; Patrick Alexander (MFA 06)  Writer, Assistant Producer; Steven Acevedo  (MFA 05) Associate Producer, Camera Op; Gregg O’Bryant  (MFA 04) Producer; Justin Ross  (MFA 07) Producer and Editor; Kim Rice (MFA 06)  Art Department Assistant.    Hope I didn’t miss anyone – just checked credits on IMDB.

NBCUniversal’s Global Talent Development & Inclusion Team Opens Submissions For Annual Universal Writers Program.   Go to the Deadline article for complete information:  https://deadline.com/2021/01/nbcuniversal-global-talent-and-inclusion-team-submissions-universal-writers-program-diversity-representation-1234679884/

From Valerie Brooks (BFA 14) “1. Rafi Lorié  (BFA 14) and I moved back to Brooklyn! Yay! We also got married in Feb, yay!  2. We're previewing two new films, "Agita" and "Every Plastic Bag" at Film Noir Cinema in Greenpoint on September 17th.. Our very good friend and collaborator Sam Swanson is having his theatrical debut that night and we're headlining for him. “Agita” is the story of a mother and daughter living in a sea side town who fall prey to the temptations of a malignant water demon. The film took six years to complete, and a portion of it was filmed on jet skis off the coast of the 10,000 islands, at the famously sinking into the sea Marco Island Dome Houses. “Every Plastic Bag” is a PSA gone awry, in which a well-meaning friend invades a woman’s mind with invasive existential thoughts about every single plastic bag being handed out at this very moment. Fun fact: Starring Rafi, @Melisse Sporn<https://fsufilmpub.com/users/2188377> and @Ari Church<https://fsufilmpub.com/users/2188352>

From Kate Brewer (BFA 06) “After six months in limbo, having been evacuated from Kyiv prior to Russia's invasion of Ukraine, my husband and I have been reassigned to Albania. Grateful to have a home base once again.  Currently developing two new independent feature horror films, one of which is a Midwest Gothic that we intend to film in NE/IA. We have a short film, feature script, pitch deck, several key team members, and an interested distribution company, but we are in search of a producer who knows how to secure financing. As we don't have any funds currently, the salary would be built into the budget. I wish I had money to offer up front, but unfortunately we're just not in that position. Would love to work with FSU people on this. If you're interested or would like more info, please contact me on FSUFILMpub or at kdelaney.ryan at gmail.com<mailto:kdelaney.ryan at gmail.com>

From Nathan Alexander (BFA 99) “Excited to announce my new full-time gig as an editor at the legendary Trailer Park.”

From Aleksandra Hansen (BFA 15) “So excited to start the crowdfunding campaign for my Norwegian-American horror feature film LIFE AT SANDY'S! My team and I will be traveling to Sørlandet in Norway in October, and it would mean to the world to me to have your support in bringing this vision to life! Check out the campaign link for more info. Even a few dollars helps! www.seedandspark.com/fund/life-at-sandys<http://www.seedandspark.com/fund/life-at-sandys?fbclid=IwAR35UXT92gWHXSv3sCl1dT4OoSjkuuvp89LlTW6UqRLzY2AWBKDBoxxz1pA>

From Kale Bittner (BFA 06) “My wife works at React Media<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/finebros__;!!PhOWcWs!2eeIIB8O96R6Ss0KPLQKa1F_slrViG5NlZiGKmw0IJEsY3d4KPHzpVdhv9n3bHXmjRiz0PiJd8-8KQbepMs$> producing digital content mostly for youtube, but also for other social platforms. She’s made a career of jumping back and forth between reality TV and digital, and she has an opening for a producer role<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/3217811742/?fbclid=IwAR3wO-6SjHYYIUPZkRchmDQdVI1N1T9NQaNO4nNkxGKM_V_47cOSG6_pGgs__;!!PhOWcWs!2eeIIB8O96R6Ss0KPLQKa1F_slrViG5NlZiGKmw0IJEsY3d4KPHzpVdhv9n3bHXmjRiz0PiJd8-8JUwqEuE$> for the channel.  I thought it might be of interests to our alumni group. It’s basically performing social experiments on young adults for the entertainment of others.”

From the. Florida Film Commissioner Nikki Welge:  Our Tallahassee office is hiring!  We’d love to get the word out.  Can you please post this in the Meryl report for this week?  Here is the job listing:  https://jobs.myflorida.com/job/TALLAHASSEE-GOVERNMENT-ANALYST-II-40000401-FL-32399/923250400/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/jobs.myflorida.com/job/TALLAHASSEE-GOVERNMENT-ANALYST-II-40000401-FL-32399/923250400/__;!!PhOWcWs!1QNIfJK7-nbLM9-7E5K0RnLiX_5_51x6l6daEIAiRKr_fLTmFeukPbqxLpd-ViXqcTU10TnIFlyilvU9aTyq5vPtsZExNv1k$>.

Sorry this is so long – it’s a double since I took some vacy last week for a quick, and somewhat profitable, trip to Biloxi!  And today’s Warren Report is coming to you from the annual Film School faculty/staff conference where future plans are brewing!

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – August 18, 2022

Calypso (MFA D2 2021 Lensa Jeudy) was selected for screening at the Imagine This Women’s Festival in Brooklyn, September 23-25. For more information about this festival, go to www.imaginethisprods.com<http://www.imaginethisprods.com>.

Days of Glory/Dias de Gloria (BFA F3 2021 Melissa Calderon) was selected for screening at the Festival de Cine Latino Americano – Norte in Denton, Texas, September 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to https://fdcla-texas.org.

Fries & Monkey Thighs (MFA D1 2021 Raven Carter), Girlhood (BFA Thesis 2022 Jaelyn Ellis) and Don’t Do That (MFA D1 2021 Aadrise Johnson) were selected for screening at the Black Women in Comedy Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 15-16. For more information about this festival, go to www.bwicf.com.

Recipient (MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) is a Semi-Finalist at the Miami Short Film Festival, November 11-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.miamishortfilmfestival.com<http://www.miamishortfilmfestival.com>.

Girlhood (BFA Thesis 2022 Jaelyn Ellis) was selected for screening at the San Antonio Black International Film Festival, October 6-9. For more information about this festival, go to www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com<http://www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com>.

The Confession (MFA D1 2021 Emma Francis) was selected for screening at the August 14th edition of the monthly FilmSlam at Enzian Theater in Orlando. For more information about this series, go to www.facebook.com/FilmSlam<http://www.facebook.com/FilmSlam>.

Recipient (MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was awarded Best Student Film and Best Student Film Cinematography in the April edition of the Canadian Cinematography Awards, a monthly competition. For more information about this competition, go to http://canada.cawards.org.

Listen to My Voice (BFA Documentary 2022 Ryan Muina/Bryce Hinschberger) was selected for screening and is a finalist in the Mountain Shadow Short Film Competition in Walnut Creek, California on September 24th. For more information about this competition, go to http://www.mountainshadow.org/annual-film-competition.

Yeah, Yeah (BFA F1 2021 Ian Linn) was selected for screening at the Crown Heights Film Festival in Brooklyn, October 14-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.crownheightsfilmfestival.com<http://www.crownheightsfilmfestival.com>.

Briefly Gorgeous (MFA Thesis 2021 Elijah Barry) was awarded Best Student Film at the Chain NYC Film Festival, August 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://chainfilmfestival.com.

Paracosm (BFA F3 2022 Natalia Coiro), The Gift (MFA D1 2020 Vyky Saiz) and Listen to My Voice (BFA Documentary 2022 Ryan Muina/Bryce Hinschberger) were selected for screening at the Student World Impact Film Festival in Paramus, New Jersey, dates TBD. For more information about this festival go to www.lightfilmfest.org/swiff-festival.

Retribution (BFA F1 2021 Joshua Bowen) was selected for screening at the Cobb International Film Festival in Marietta, Georgia, August 4-7. For more information about this festival go to www.cobbfilmfestival.com<http://www.cobbfilmfestival.com>.

Briefly Gorgeous (MFA Thesis 2021 Elijah Barry) was selected for screening at the Chain NYC Film Festival, August 4-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://chainfilmfestival.com/.

Sugar and Spice and Everything Ice (BFA Documentary 2022 Cordy Keeley), This Isn’t Funny Anymore (BFA F1 2021 Summer Purks), In Your Sheets (BFA Thesis 2022 Connie O’Connor), Girlhood (BFA Thesis 2022 Jaelyn Ellis), Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz) and Amen (MFA D1 2021 Brittany Young) were selected for screening at the Girl Improved Film & Television Festival in Austin, August 5-14. For more information about this festival, go to http://girlimproved.com.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Popcorn Frights Film Festival in Miami, August 11-18. For more information about this festival, go to http://popcornfrights.com.

I Am My Sister’s Keeper (MFA D1 2021 Maya Brown) was selected for screening at the Black August Film Festival in Pasadena on August 13th. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackaugustfilmfestival.com<http://www.blackaugustfilmfestival.com>.

Tabloid (BFA F3 2022 Indie DiMartino) was selected for screening at the Defy Film Festival in Nashville, August 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.defyfilmfestival.com<http://www.defyfilmfestival.com>.

Tessa in the Background (MFA Thesis 2021 Stefany Rodriguez) was selected for screening at The Women’s Film Festival in Philadelphia, August 18-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.thewomensfilmfestival.org<http://www.thewomensfilmfestival.org>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) and AliEN (MFA Thesis 2021 Shahbaz Khan) were selected for screening at the Black Cat Picture Show in Augusta, August 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackcatpictureshow.com.

Restore (MFA D2 2021 Vyky Saiz) was selected for screening at the Alternating Currents Film Festival in Davenport, Iowa, August 19-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.alternatingcurrrentsqc.com<http://www.alternatingcurrrentsqc.com>.

The Last F*cking Straw (MFA D1 2021 Jason Anthony) was selected for screening at the Sidewalk Film Festival, August 22-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.sidewalkfest.com<http://www.sidewalkfest.com>.

The Girl Who Learned to Swim (MFA D2 2021 Shannon Sutherland) was selected for screening at the BronzeLens film festival in Atlanta, August 23-28. For more information about this festival, go to www.bronzelensfilmfestival.com.

In Your Sheets (BFA Thesis 2022 Connie O’Connor) was selected for NoBudge, in Brooklyn and online, August 1-31. For more information about this festival, go to http://nobudge.com.

Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz) was selected for screening at the Women X Film Festival in Parkgate, UK, September 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to https://riannepictures.com/womenx.

Listen to my Voice (BFA Documentary 2022 Ryan Muina & Bryce Hinschberger) was selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, September 3-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com.

Paracosm (BFA F3 2022 Natalia Coiro) was selected for screening at the Victory International Film Festival in Evansville, Indiana, September 9-10. For more information about this festival go to www.victoryiff.com<http://www.victoryiff.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the HorrorHound Weekend in Cincinnati, Ohio, September 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to https://horrorhoundweekend.com.

Girlhood (BFA Thesis 2022 Jaelyn Ellis) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, September 16-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.serfilmfestival.com.

Funeral Fever (BFA F1 2021 Janicel Diaz) was selected for screening at the inaugural Wine, Women & Film Festival somewhere in California, September 17-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://winewomenandfilmfestival.godaddysites.com/.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net>.

The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White) was selected for screening at the Tallgrass International Film Festival in Wichita, Kansas, September 28 – October 2. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallgrassfilmfest.com<http://www.tallgrassfilmfest.com>.

Daze (MFA D2 2021 Shari Petti) was selected for screening at the Screamfest Horror Film Festival in Los Angeles, October 11-20. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

Suzzanne (BFA Thesis 2022 Pierce Ryan) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale Film Festival, November 4-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

“Let me see your nail!” (BFA Documentary 2022 Hang Nguyen) was selected for screening at The NewsFest in Pasadena, November 10-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.thenewsfest.com<http://www.thenewsfest.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the New York City Horror Film Festival, December 1-4. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.nychorrorfest.com.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at Shockfest Film Festival in Los Angeles on December 10th. For more information about this festival, go to www.shockfilmfest.com<http://www.shockfilmfest.com>.