[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 9.23.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 23 13:03:47 EDT 2021

>From Oualid Mouaness (MFA 97) “And this happened... 1982 wins the Murex D'or<https://www.facebook.com/themurexdor/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZUT_7SSlH8zMOKGjH7z4zgFCMZBJ8OzihiYYqKMMkk4KpVwHisJsueqTrqKJBr58jApVtEPUpPRU-9Xc0gseqGxcTXE-Gk5NuPFQ7YnSDwOkYwnjeOaEzO1v5Bvv_ughotnbGIbh90LaNH1HEAMsAur&__tn__=kK-R> for Best Lebanese Film (2019-2021)... a beautiful and humbling win in the Homeland of the film. “

llustrious alum Nat Sanders (BFA ’02) is this week’s guest on the Art of the Cut podcast<https://anchor.fm/frameio-insider/episodes/Art-of-the-Cut--Ep--129-Shang-Chi-and-the-Legend-of-the-Ten-Rings-Editors-Nat-Sanders--ACE--Elzabet-Ronaldsdttir--ACE--and-Harry-Yoon--ACE-e17aodh>, discussing his work editing Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings!

>From Jess Haber (MFA 08) “I'm currently working as Post Supervisor for Apple's THE MORNING SHOW<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/tv.apple.com/us/show/the-morning-show/umc.cmc.25tn3v8ku4b39tr6ccgb8nl6m?ctx_brand=tvs.sbd.4000&ign-itscg=MC_20000&ign-itsct=atvp_brand_omd&mttn3pid=Google*20AdWords&mttnagencyid=a5e&mttncc=US&mttnsiteid=143238&mttnsubad=OUS2019800_1-546066626776-c&mttnsubkw=122311402254__Hvgufltl_&mttnsubplmnt=__;JQ!!PhOWcWs!mCF6-AUWsS2_dhGq03wUyXPpT-Do-0mN-twhn-vQPuOqONoZ9GjGfLZNJTyo1I0$>, which just premiered Season 2. In other news, Scott Garrison (MFA '08)and I had a baby girl last year and are loving being parents!  As for Scott, he works in music law and manages his firm's film/tv licensing for many A-List artists.”

>From Evan McNary (MFA 06) “Beyond stoked for Ragged Heart to have its fest premiere at the Austin Film Festival! For decades, AFF has cultivated a community of filmmakers and film lovers who are devoted to the craft and to supporting each other. And it couldn’t be a better fit for our film,  Ragged Heart.  Over the next few weeks, we’ll share screening details as they come in, as well as updates on other great films playing the fest. In the meantime, cheers to all of our talented, tenacious co-creators and supporters who made this film a reality  And don’t worry Heathens — the official Athens premier is also in the works and on the horizon.”  Note:   Evan is Director, co-writer.

>From Zoe DeLeon (MFA Writing 18) “I'm now the Showrunner's Assistant to Matt Lopez (BFA 93)  on his show Promised Land. https://deadline.com/2021/08/matt-lopez-promised-land-latinx-family-drama-pilot-abc-series-order-1234812954/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/deadline.com/2021/08/matt-lopez-promised-land-latinx-family-drama-pilot-abc-series-order-1234812954/__;!!PhOWcWs!mHUuZDRYNG7bxDzFJtM2GSHbi5OlNkV9bLW-KueQPQkVOvinvvvGxevFEa8gLxU$>”

Josh Little (MFA19 ) is now Compositor/Set Supervisor at Crafty Apes VFX in ATL.  And he is living at the Town at Trilith,  a mixed use complex across the street from Trilith Studios.    “It's going to be really nice once all the shops and restaurants open! So far they have two restaurants, a gelato shop, a plant shop, and a home decor shop. I'm hoping for a grocery store!”

Hey everyone! My name is Alex Bock (BFA ’14) and I’m in the midst of raising funds for a short film that I’m DPing titled “I Could Just Die And That Would Be All Right." This film was written by a dear friend of mine, A.K. Espada, who is an incredibly talented director and storyteller, and we’re teaming up with Something To Say Productions in Atlanta, owned by fellow FSU alum Landon Kovalick. I wanted to reach out to share our campaign with the FSU community because this film is a unique tale that I don’t think we've ever really seen before as an audience and truly believe it’s a story that’s worth bringing to life and shown on the big screen. We’re working towards raising $35,000 through Seed & Spark and so far have been blown away by the positive response we’ve received with contributions. We’re hoping to keep the momentum up and would greatly appreciate any contribution amount, big or small, as they will help to feed crew, assist with our covid safety plan, secure gear, etc. And if a contribution can’t be made, we completely understand and hope that you consider to share or follow our S&S page as an alternative to supporting our campaign. Below, you can find a link to our Seed & Spark page as well as a synopsis of our film in case you’d like to take a peek. Thanks so much everyone!   Seed & Spark Page: https://seedandspark.com/fund/i-could-just-die#story<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/seedandspark.com/fund/i-could-just-die*story__;Iw!!PhOWcWs!h34ooh7pbRb-DJEjx25AsHPimD8mZQ2lCSUzRyzNLuHzFf_c6ydd7Nwx2MnqATg$>  Synopsis: Wanting to end her life, a woman allows herself to be attacked by the mysterious creature that lives in the woods near her house. It appears to kill her, but the next day she wakes up and realizes she’s joined the ranks of the immortal undead. Now she must come to terms with the fact that her plan backfired in the most ironic of ways, and she will be forced to live forever. A semi-autobiographical suburban fairy tale about how to feel alive--even if you’re not.”

>From Brenda Mills:  The Coca-Cola Refreshing Films Contest just opened. There are a lot of moving parts but the skinny is that teams of two students (or people who graduated after December of 2019) submit a script for a 50-second spot by October 22nd, and if their script is chosen for the finals they get $18,000 to shoot the spot, and have until April 1 to deliver the finished product. One of the two team-members has to be the producer. If you're interested, talk to me and I'll give you more info.  Bmills at fsu.edu

>From Jaye Davidson (MFA 10) “Posting for a director friend, Asad Faooqui. He is looking for a DP, preferably Atlanta-based, but can be out of town for a six-episode web series. The dates are December 10th - 19th, 2021.  Logline: Nadir and Samina are a newly married Muslim-American couple who are having fissures in their relationship. When they decide to visit a therapist and hash out their differences, we, the audience, get to see exactly what they’re talking about. Asad is a Columbia grad who has won Best Screenplay at Atlanta, Nashville, and Sidewalk.  His film Mabrook(Congratulations) has screened at Palm Springs, Atlanta, New Orleans, Sidewalk, Bentonville.  Mabrook(https://vimeo.com/446855977<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/vimeo.com/446855977__;!!PhOWcWs!i0AW7VQNRMBqYJYdFbS9orjVNSaF_kN2A6p0ihaKX5UR0WnLq02W0oohaUmKWOM$> (Password: blessings2020).   Interested parties should email him at Asad Farooqui <amf2235 at columbia.edu<mailto:amf2235 at columbia.edu>>. Please send reels, and website. Someone who own their own camera would be preferable.

>From Cristy Trabada (BFA 19) “My production company and I are looking for an assistant editor based in South Florida to hop on these projects coming our way. Right now we are working on a Netflix Docuseries and several film projects and we desperately need the help! We can pay them on a weekly or freelance basis depending on what they want, we are flexible.”    Email Cristy at trabadacristina at gmail.com<mailto:trabadacristina at gmail.com>

>From Laura Garcia:  “We have shot a music video for a local artist in Estonia and need to shoot additional shots for it with the featured artist who lives nearby Orlando. The attached director is Lucas Romarin Rousset  and we have a shot list in place and can provide the already shot clip to see where it all fits in.  We already have a cinematographer attached in Orlando.Our expectation ideally is since we cannot be there, would be:
1. checking in on a video call with me and the director, going through what we shot content wise and technically
2. location scout to get some images, or if you have such a place in mind then some references on how it looks
3. zoom call and connecting you to the artist
4. shooting the shots we have shot-listed
5. uploading the raw footage on our drive or server
It is a paid position. One day of shooting.    If you are interested contact Laura at laura.garcia at Augustfilms.com<mailto:laura.garcia at Augustfilms.com>

WebMD TV is looking for the most creative and innovative scripts, films, and other artistic performances about health and wellness, no matter if it's humorous, inspiring, abstract, etc. Winners of the Storytellers’ Competition will receive $5,000 for the best script and $1,000 for the best idea. Additionally, first and second place winners of the Creators’ Competition will receive $10,000 and $5,000 respectively. You can find the link to more details, as well as all of our current competitions, here: www.webmdtv.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.webmdtv.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!nGMbV_Cw9WngGwd47su1FNh_Y_ENZi8ekx3K6TVSZNuT5iTWo7hbXITwuN4valE$>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – September 23, 2021

Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) was awarded Best Animation Short Film and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was awarded Best Student Film and Best Performance in a Short Film at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) won Best Documentary Short at the Tallahassee Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com<http://www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) and Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) were selected for screening at the Reel Deal Film Festival in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, September 30 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.reeldealfilmfestival.com.

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis), Dream Operator (BFA F3 2021 Bretton Miller) and The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, December 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to melbournefilmfest.com.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Immigration Film Fest in Washington, DC, October 14-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://immigrationfilmfest.org/.

They Only See Our Faces (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at ZUMEFF in the United Arab Emirates, October 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.zu.ac.ae<http://www.zu.ac.ae>.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Portland Film Festival, October 10–16. For more information about this festival, go to www.portlandfilmfestival.com.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at the inaugural New York Indie Shorts Awards, September 22-23. For more information, go to www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork<http://www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork>.

Wuhan Express (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiran Gordon) was selected for screening at the Sunnyside Shorts International Film Festival in Sunnyside, New York on September 25th. For more information about his festival, go to www.sunnysideshorts.com<http://www.sunnysideshorts.com>.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) and Killing It (BFA F3 2020 Kiran Gordon) were selected for screening at the Saints and Sinners Film Festival in New Port Richey, September 24-26. For more information about this festival go to www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com<http://www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com>.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) and Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) were selected for screening at the SacFilmChallenge in Sacramento, California, September 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to sacfilmchallenge.com.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Miami Underground Film Festival, on September 25th. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/MiamiUndergroundFilmFestival/.

Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Reel Deal Film Festival in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, September 30 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.reeldealfilmfestival.com<http://www.reeldealfilmfestival.com>.

Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) is a Finalist in the inaugural World Food Forum Film Festival to be held online October 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.world-food-forum.org<http://www.world-food-forum.org>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the inaugural Festival de Cine Indepiente Laberinto in Tunja, Colombia, October 2-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://cineclublaberinto.wordpress.com/.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the San Antonio Black International Film Festival in Texas, September 30 – October 3. For more information, go to www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com<http://www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at Urbanworld in New York City, September 29 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to urbanworld.org.

For the Laughs (BFA Documentary 2020 Connie O’Connor/Barbs Citraro) was selected for screening at Slovak Queer Film Festival in Bratislava, Slovakia, October 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/<http://www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) has been selected for screening and is nominated for an award at the Silicon Valley African Film Festival in Mountain View, California, October 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to svaff.org.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.slff.org<http://www.slff.org>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the inaugural Black Legacy, online on October 17. For more information about this festival, go to www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/<http://www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) and Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Topaz Film Festival in Dallas, October 18-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.wifdallas.org<http://www.wifdallas.org>.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) was selected for screening at the Story? – International Student Documentary Festival in Cork, Ireland, October 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://crawford.cit.ie/story/.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 11-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.umff.com<http://www.umff.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening in the online Gofobo Fast Forward Film Festival, Staff Picks: Horror Best Short Film, October 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://gofobo.com/fastforwardfilmfestival.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Savannah Film Festival, October 23-30. For more information about this festival, go to filmfest.scad.edu.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Reel Recovery Film Festival and Symposium in Studio City, November 5-11 and The Fifth Day is a Finalist. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org>.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

First Love (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiara Pomeroy) and Syena and the Orkestra (BFA F3 2020 Kiara Pomeroy) were selected for screening at Black Film Festival Atlanta, December 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/<http://www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Muestra Intergalactica de Cine festival in Saltillo, Mexico, December 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.muestraintergalactica.com<http://www.muestraintergalactica.com>.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.