[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 9.14.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 16 13:31:33 EDT 2021

The Tallahassee Film Festival is happening this weekend around Railroad Square. It's your chance to watch shorts, features, and even shorts and features made by your fellow students and faculty! Antonio's new documentary, Courtroom 3H, about family court here in Tallahassee, is playing on Saturday at 1:45. There are also four student films Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford's "Piccolo is Black," Zack Freeman's "A Righteous Man," Alex Argiles' "Clave" and Charlie Andelman's "It's Over") and four short films by alums ("Clay Umbrella" and "Herzog & Morris" by Neil Butler (BFA 95), "Gilt" by April Moore (BFA 15),and "Limestone" by Paula Gonzalez (BFA 15)). Go. Wear your mask.  The web site is  tallahasseefilmfestival com for information about screening times.

Congratulations to Tianjun Gao (MFA 19) who is President of Chengdu Eleven Thoughts Production Company in Glendale, CA!

>From Iman Zawahry (MFA 08) “Americanish will have its LA Premiere Friday, September 24th at 8pm at the Aratani Theater @ Japanese American Cultural & Community Center – Little Tokyo (DTLA): 244 S San Pedro Street on September 24th at 8pm. You can purchase tickets here: https://bit.ly/3Cicz02<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/bit.ly/3Cicz02__;!!PhOWcWs!lXsoOMl0oUKDAks8gN32F9JiPDpqxxFGOcc4-mW9Cataj9GWYhApeox7_L9-_WY$>. The film, Americanish, is the first American Muslim rom com made by diverse American Muslim women about American Muslim women. You can see the trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2X5zvl0_HQ<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2X5zvl0_HQ__;!!PhOWcWs!lXsoOMl0oUKDAks8gN32F9JiPDpqxxFGOcc4-mW9Cataj9GWYhApeox7iE6YgxU$> We have won three audience awards at CAAMFest, New York Asian Film Festival and Asian American International Film Festival. We will also be screening at Chicago and other cities and you can find the screenings at www.americanishfilm.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.americanishfilm.com__;!!PhOWcWs!lXsoOMl0oUKDAks8gN32F9JiPDpqxxFGOcc4-mW9Cataj9GWYhApeox7fmUd5Co$>. Would love to see FSU alums there!”

>From Christy Trabada (BFA 19) “My name is Cristy Trabadass I am a writer, producer, and director from Miami representing Smoke Stacks Studios. I am directing a feature commissioned by Rolling Loud Music Festival, they are now developing many different narrative projects with us as their film team.  Right now we are in the process of making a developmental sizzle reel piece for a feature film, entitled @whatever about an aspiring Instagram model who learns the dark realities of social media fame while navigating Miami luxury culture. I am looking for a woman identifying DP with at least some narrative feature experience to be in the running to shoot this project.  The sizzle reel will be in the form of a short film about 10 pages long. We are looking to shoot for 2-3 days in October in Miami. If you know or can reach out to anyone who fits the description and has availability in October please run them by me!
Studio Website:
https://www.smokestacksstudios.com/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.smokestacksstudios.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!lRb7aVXOUuVUawS1uwRIP9UB9Fvi7MRENe0rUVYbMYLFn8cXzt11OqWPJfUwaTs$>
My Website:
https://www.trabadassproductions.com/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.trabadassproductions.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!lRb7aVXOUuVUawS1uwRIP9UB9Fvi7MRENe0rUVYbMYLFn8cXzt11OqWPO_KNkFM$>
Looking forward to hearing from you soon!”

Congratulations to Charlie Andelman who was formerly in our MFA program who  is now in the first week of a nine week film directing course through Sundance Co//ab.

The team from whitebalance (www.whitebalance.co<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.whitebalance.co__;!!PhOWcWs!j4A7xKLt05mKWGGziCy1EnKP77KdOsn7W2XlpQnfOt0geMVxSexJC_G7lv61OILw$>) wants to speak to young videographers (1-3 years of industry experience) who are looking to do more commercial and corporate video work. The founders are people of color who care a lot about diverse representation, fair pay, and ethical technology. By speaking with them you can learn more about their vision and explore future work opportunities. Fill out a short (<2min) survey here<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/forms.gle/wHvXMyzJhwrvQSFy6__;!!PhOWcWs!j4A7xKLt05mKWGGziCy1EnKP77KdOsn7W2XlpQnfOt0geMVxSexJC_G7ltbCgsC6$> to set up a time to chat.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update–September 16, 2021

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020Zach Freeman),Clave(MFA Thesis 2020Alex Argiles),It’s Over(MFA D1 2020Charlie Andelman) andPiccolo is Black(BFA Doc 2021Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) were selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com/>www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com<http://www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com/>.

Catering for COVID(BFA Documentary 2021Natalia Coiro) was awarded Best Student (College) Film at the Victory International Film Festival in Evansville, Indiana, September 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to<https://victoryiff.com/>https://victoryiff.com/.

Sophie in Furbyland(BFA Doc 2021Pacey Hansen) was selected for screening at the Story? – International Student Documentary Festival in Cork, Ireland, October 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://crawford.cit.ie/story/.

Midnight Screams(BFA Thesis 2021Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Muestra Intergalactica de Cine festival in Saltillo, Mexico, December 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.muestraintergalactica.com.

Midnight Screams(BFA Thesis 2021Sean Menendez) was selected for screening in the online Gofobo Fast Forward Film Festival, Staff Picks: Horror Best Short Film, October 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://gofobo.com/fastforwardfilmfestival.

Upcoming Screenings and Awards(in chronological order):

The Fifth Day(BFA F3 2021Matthew Romanski) is a Finalist, and nominated for Best Poster, in the Rome Independent Prisma Awards, a monthly online competition. For more information about this competition, go to<http://www.romeprismafilmawards.com/>www.romeprismafilmawards.com<http://www.romeprismafilmawards.com/>.

The Garden Show(BFA F3 2021Rae Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Austin Spotlight Film Festival in Texas, on September 18th. For more information about this festival, go to<https://www.austinspotlightfilmfestival.com/>https://www.austinspotlightfilmfestival.com/.

Pine Mountain Overnight(BFA Thesis 2020Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the New York Latino Film Festival, September 13-19. For more information, go to nylatinofilmfestival.com.

Quarantined(BFA Doc 2020Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>www.fmbfilmfest.com/<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>.

The Patrizi’s(BFA Documentary 2020Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to<http://roma.cinemadoc.it/>http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

The Rope Warrior(BFA Documentary 2020Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman),Wing It(BFA Thesis 2020Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) andAll the Young Dudes(BFA Thesis 2020Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>www.fmbfilmfest.com/<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>.

Smell the Trees(MFA Thesis 2020Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.tinff.net/>www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net/>.

Full-Timers(BFA F3 2021Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at the inaugural New York Indie Shorts Awards, September 22-23. For more information, go to<http://www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork>www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork<http://www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork>.

Wuhan Express(BFA Thesis 2021Kiran Gordon) was selected for screening at the Sunnyside Shorts International Film Festival in Sunnyside, New York on September 25th. For more information about his festival, go to<http://www.sunnysideshorts.com/>www.sunnysideshorts.com<http://www.sunnysideshorts.com/>.

FO[U]R(MFA Thesis 2020Ashley James) andKilling It(BFA F3 2020Kiran Gordon) were selected for screening at the Saints and Sinners Film Festival in New Port Richey, September 24-26. For more information about this festival go to<http://www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com/>www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com<http://www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com/>.

Piccolo is Black(BFA Doc 2021Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) andSmell the Trees(MFA Thesis 2020Breyionna Flowers) were selected for screening at the SacFilmChallenge in Sacramento, California, September 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to sacfilmchallenge.com.

Miss Flores(BFA Doc 2021Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Miami Underground Film Festival, on September 25th. For more information about this festival, go to<https://www.facebook.com/MiamiUndergroundFilmFestival/>https://www.facebook.com/MiamiUndergroundFilmFestival/.

Irresistible(MFA D1 2019Sarah Gambles) andThe Flip Side(BFA Documentary 2018Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Reel Deal Film Festival in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, September 30 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.reeldealfilmfestival.com/>www.reeldealfilmfestival.com<http://www.reeldealfilmfestival.com/>.

Breaking Vanilla(BFA Doc 2021Hollis Rosenkranz) is a Finalist in the inaugural World Food Forum Film Festival to be held online October 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.world-food-forum.org/>www.world-food-forum.org<http://www.world-food-forum.org/>.

Miss Flores(BFA Doc 2021Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the inaugural Festival de Cine Indepiente Laberinto in Tunja, Colombia, October 2-7. For more information about this festival, go to<https://cineclublaberinto.wordpress.com/>https://cineclublaberinto.wordpress.com/.

Smell the Trees(MFA Thesis 2020Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the San Antonio Black International Film Festival in Texas, September 30 – October 3. For more information, go to<http://www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com/>www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com<http://www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com/>.

All the Young Dudes(BFA Thesis 2020Will Stead) was selected for screening at Urbanworld in New York City, September 29 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to urbanworld.org.

For the Laughs(BFA Documentary 2020Connie O’Connor/Barbs Citraro) was selected for screening at Slovak Queer Film Festival in Bratislava, Slovakia, October 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/>www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/<http://www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/>.

Smell the Trees(MFA Thesis 2020Breyionna Flowers) has been selected for screening and is nominated for an award at the Silicon Valley African Film Festival in Mountain View, California, October 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to svaff.org.

Miss Flores(BFA Doc 2021Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.slff.org/>www.slff.org<http://www.slff.org/>.

Smell the Trees(MFA Thesis 2020Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the inaugural Black Legacy, online on October 17. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/>www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/<http://www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/>.

Wolves(BFA F3 2021Travae Davis) was selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.screamfestla.com/>www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com/>.

Breaking Vanilla(BFA Doc 2021Hollis Rosenkranz) andMoonshot(BFA Thesis 2021Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Topaz Film Festival in Dallas, October 18-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.wifdallas.org.

Smell the Trees(MFA Thesis 2020Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 11-24. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.umff.com/>www.umff.com<http://www.umff.com/>.

Pine Mountain Overnight(BFA Thesis 2020Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com/>www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com/>.

Sight(MFA Thesis 2017Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to<https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/>https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

All the Young Dudes(BFA Thesis 2020Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Savannah Film Festival, October 23-30. For more information about this festival, go to filmfest.scad.edu.

Full-Timers(BFA F3 2021Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to<https://ssffwest.com/>https://ssffwest.com/.

Love Therapy(MFA D1 2019Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

The Fifth Day(BFA F3 2021Matthew Romanski) andMoonshot(BFA Thesis 2021Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Reel Recovery Film Festival and Symposium in Studio City, November 5-11 andThe Fifth Dayis a Finalist. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org/>www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org/>.

Roofing in July(BFA F3 2021Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly(MFA QD2 2020Sarah Gambles)Irresistible(MFA D1 2019Sarah Gambles) andDeep Space(MFA D2 2019Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021.

A Righteous Man(BFA Thesis 2020Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

First Love(BFA Thesis 2021Kiara Pomeroy) andSyena and the Orkestra(BFA F3 2020Kiara Pomeroy) were selected for screening at Black Film Festival Atlanta, December 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/>www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/<http://www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/>.

Shadowboxing(BFA Thesis 2021Josh Myers),Breaking Vanilla(BFA Doc 2021Hollis Rosenkranz),Sophie in Furbyland(BFA Doc 2021Pacey Hansen),On the Sidelines(BFA Doc 2021Valerie Betts),Piccolo is Black(BFA Doc 2021Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford),The Fifth Day(BFA F3 2021Matthew Romanski) andA Fight for Starry Night(Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.