[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 9.2.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Sep 2 13:38:14 EDT 2021

>From Chris Alender (BFA 98). “Our brand new horror film The Old Ways is now available on Netflix. It’s directed by Christopher Alender (BFA98), written by Marcos Gabriel (MEDIAPROD99), produced by T. Justin Ross (MFA07), edited by Matt Blundell (BFA00), Zach Tison (BFA99) as Field Recording Sound Mixer and the crew is stacked with many other FSU Film and Communications School alums like David Smith, Chelsea DeVincent, Andrew Williams (BFA 98), Kaley Lankenau, Nick Lively, Sean Lewis, and Darrel Raymundo (BFA ADA 15).  We have been working with The Muppets Studio and Disney for years now, creating tons of new Muppets content.  We’ve written, produced, shot, and finished everything from shorts, live performances, to the brand new Disney+ series Muppets Now! But we are incredibly excited to announce our biggest Muppets project yet, Muppets Haunted Mansion, coming to Disney+ this Halloween.  As Soapbox Films evolves and grows, we are eager to meet post producers, line producers, account managers, and motion graphics artists that might be interested in joining our marketing team. Please reach out to info at soapboxfilms.com<mailto:info at soapboxfilms.com> with resumes.”

>From Julianna Baggett (Screenwriting Faculty): “I've started a niche production company with producing partner, Brendan Deneen, to develop intellectual property for film and TV, through original high-concept, world-building short stories, intimately told. Some of my projects (novels & stories) are currently optioned by Disney+, Lionsgate, Warner Brothers, and smaller prod cos like BCDF and Assemble. This past month, a short story got six offers which means that the model might be working, announcement to follow. I'm developing ideas with writers, including screenwriters for reverse adaptations. Happy to talk to alums. jcbaggott at gmail.com<mailto:jcbaggott at gmail.com>”

>From Ruth Hernandez (MFA 98)  “More good news! My Tv pilot Brightest stars has been selected for the 2021 AFF writer's lab! (Athena Film Festival at Barnard College) Woo hoo!”

>From Brenda Mills:  For those of you who just moved to NYC:  “I’m reaching out on behalf of Stareable Fest, the top indie TV and web series festival in the US and the new home for digital talent in the television industry. I wanted to personally invite Film students from Florida State University to our 2021 event, taking place October 14-17 in NYC.In our 4th year, the festival will include creator networking events, screenings, workshops, panels, an industry marketplace, a live pitch competition, and an awards ceremony honoring the best creators and talent in the business. Stareable Fest is committed to creating face-to-face connections between independent filmmakers and decision makers at major networks and platforms, and that will happen this year more than ever before.I know students often don't have a budget for these types of events even though they can derive the most benefit- so I'd love to offer Florida State University's community discounted tickets. If your students use code FloridaState_SF21, they'll receive 20% off all festival passes https://stareablefest2021.eventbrite.com/?aff=Student. (They said this applies to recent grads too)”

>From Matt Ryan (MFA 11) “the movie Beast Mode out now on Amazon. Was great working w. @therealraywise !

>From Christian Klein (BFA ADA 16) “Excited to share that, after months of virtual and out-of-state festival screenings, there is finally a great opportunity coming up for folks in Los Angeles to see my sci-fi dark comedy short film, Sweet Nothings<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.instagram.com/sweetnothingsmov/__;!!PhOWcWs!jJtjIrVD82S7n1Xv40IrYnvaPVqveCjtI5LvRpijqJ8xt4nSPwG92ANTQn8CBSw$>. It will be playing at the AMC Burbank 16 on September 9th, as part of the opening night of the Burbank International Film Festival. Ticket link here<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.itsmyseat.com/events/686466.html?fbclid=IwAR3o1ZvPUANANv3oSB5q3YSIvQWnVAJJ_zeBD8RFE-Ckig7LZV2O-KkxaHQ__;!!PhOWcWs!jJtjIrVD82S7n1Xv40IrYnvaPVqveCjtI5LvRpijqJ8xt4nSPwG92ANT8HagEJU$> - would love to see some fellow film Noles there! “

>From Arturo Yepez (MFA 07) “I am happy to share that "Sumergible '', my latest feature film as a producer, has been selected to represent Ecuador at the International feature film section of the Academy Awards.  Daniel Aviles MFA 2009 was part of the journey as the DP. Here is the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhtgDHwfJc4<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhtgDHwfJc4__;!!PhOWcWs!jCfFlbaO35KvBwGu7iFNzg1_PrVpRD14Y3ipSAgLxHpWUX3FpHso79cDqOTdP7Y$>
And here the news:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/oscars-international-feature-race-kicks-off-with-first-official-submission-1235003713/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/oscars-international-feature-race-kicks-off-with-first-official-submission-1235003713/__;!!PhOWcWs!jCfFlbaO35KvBwGu7iFNzg1_PrVpRD14Y3ipSAgLxHpWUX3FpHso79cDjak8BXA$>

>From Elias Inaty (BFA 13) “I've been working with the creators of American Vandal on a esports mockumentary series that's premiering on Paramount+. It uses my knowledge of esports from working at Riot for about 4 years now to make a show tentatively titled Players. Players will focus on a League of Legends team that’s looking to win its first championship after years of close calls and heartaches. In order to make it to the top, they’ll need their prodigy, a 17-year-old rookie, and their 27-year-old veteran to put aside their egos and work together. This is my first writer's room and it was a huge blast. I can't wait for y'all to see this show! https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/american-vandal-creators-esports-comedy-paramount-plus-1235004232/
>From Lucas Muratore (MFA 20) “After 11 months working on a variety of awesome shows with Esports Engine as their on-site coordinator, today I start my first full-time gig as their Staffing and Purchasing Coordinator Super excited to continue this journey with this incredible group of people.”

>From Molly Roland (MFA 17) “My screenplay FOR LAUGHS got into TWO more screenwriting competitions! It is a finalist at The New York Film and Television Festival
https://filmfreeway.com/NewYorkFilmandTelevisionFestival<https://filmfreeway.com/NewYorkFilmandTelevisionFestival?fbclid=IwAR3egU3c2pGID3cBVsh3GS16KxY2hykge3BS6rtpas9RMY72OAFvF2xJm_s>
and a Official Selection at the Peachtree Village International Film Festival
https://filmfreeway.com/PeachtreeVillageInternationalFilm...<https://filmfreeway.com/PeachtreeVillageInternationalFilmFestival?fbclid=IwAR3zp2fqxE3iRnCYNk59oFmpS1XsGhgrzkltvPPAEsJv3qLXqvemYdYAAQg>
This script was definitely made possible by the help of many readers-- specifically the people who spent years on it with me are, Kadeef Sanders<https://www.facebook.com/kadeef?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZXqFBVwc9IgiSC7Pw2jvALTJ1Lb4yHLt8mmXO5wTR-7AloSEjbUzd-rVpwkyckNcxx2xpR3PVgkPEdVvONL_AgjiXEmVJwTpEbNf_B5RMrflbD0EpNwEkd0Dwq12vY9ewA&__tn__=-%5DK-R> and his Sunday writing group, Sam Goodwin, and Torin Penwell<https://www.facebook.com/torin.penwell?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZXqFBVwc9IgiSC7Pw2jvALTJ1Lb4yHLt8mmXO5wTR-7AloSEjbUzd-rVpwkyckNcxx2xpR3PVgkPEdVvONL_AgjiXEmVJwTpEbNf_B5RMrflbD0EpNwEkd0Dwq12vY9ewA&__tn__=-%5DK-R>. Funny its all men given the nature of the story, but thank you so much for your eyes and your help!  PS. A Casual Two ended up winning Honorable Mention at one of the festivals it went to.”

>From Kathy Barber (BFA 97) “I went to see FREE GUY (which is a refreshing, smart, feel-good movie) on the big screen this week and recognized that one of their game characters, "Arms Up Guy", was played by actor Mark Lainer who starred in the 1999 FSU MFA Student Academy Award and Student Emmy winning film "Slow Dancin' Down the Aisles of the Quickcheck", the FSU Coca-Cola Refreshing Filmmaker Grand Prize winning film "Escape Back to the Movies", and was cast in former Dean Framk Patterson's feature film "Confessions of a Florist". FREE GUY is definitely worth a trip to the theatre!

>From Oliver Pearce (BFA 97) “My brother, Cody Pearce (also an FSU alum, although not from the Film School) wrote it and I directed it. We're about to premiere the movie at the Summer in the South film festival in Atlanta, GA at the RoleCall Theater @ Ponce City Market. The screening will be both in-person and online over Labor Day weekend with our movie screening on Sunday, 9/5--and we've been nominated for Best Dark Comedy Film!!:
Festival info: https://cinemalife.org/summerinthesouth/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/cinemalife.org/summerinthesouth/__;!!PhOWcWs!kl4sHe3HfNBjM-skFGWkm82aqEUwCOuyqH5lvHfAz3rVa4KCgnmP4PljHfED4IY$>
For tickets/schedule: https://cinemalife.tix.page/e/summer-in-the-south-2021<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/cinemalife.tix.page/e/summer-in-the-south-2021__;!!PhOWcWs!kl4sHe3HfNBjM-skFGWkm82aqEUwCOuyqH5lvHfAz3rVa4KCgnmP4Pljj2wd810$>

Chase Davis, Lyndsie Zimmerman, Andrew Bell, and Tyler Vogel  (all BFA 21) are all PA’s on a CBS reality show, thanks to Alex McFry (MFA 19) who connected them to the project!

Congratulations to Olivia Wood (MFA 21) who is working as an office PA at Jim Henson Productions.

>From Andrew Adams (BFA 08) “A director/producer friend of mine reached out recently looking for a music video editor, and I told her that the FSU community might have some interested up-and-coming editors looking for music video experience. This is her request: "LA-based Director looking for an Editor with an artist's sensibility to work on a music video for an up and coming Detroit/Moscow/Brooklyn based indie band. The band is releasing their first album this month and the video is for the second single of their album. Footage was shot with a loose narrative in mind, but I am looking to have some fun with psychedelic / lo-fi / experimental visual effects in a way that fits the music. The timeline for the project is flexible but would like to have it completed by mid-October at the latest. Remote work accepted, but an LA-based editor open to in-person sessions would be ideal. Shot on a Canon 5D Mark III, 3:30-4:00 runtime. This is a paid project - compensation will vary based on experience. Email resumes and/or reels to Stewart Cory at stewartcastleberry at gmail.com<mailto:stewartcastleberry at gmail.com> “

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – September 2, 2021

The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) was selected for screening in the Rome Independent Prisma Awards, a monthly online competition. For more information about this competition, go to www.romeprismafilmawards.com.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) and Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) were selected for screening at the SacFilmChallenge in Sacramento, California, September 24-26. For more information about this festival, go to sacfilmchallenge.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 11-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.umff.com<http://www.umff.com/>.

Wuhan Express (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiran Gordon) is a Quarter-Finalist at the New York City Film & Television Festival, to be held August 31. For more information about this festival, go to www.newyorkfilmandtvfestival.com.

Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) is a Finalist in the inaugural World Food Forum Film Festival to be held online October 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.world-food-forum.org.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) was selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.

The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) is a Finalist at the Reel Recovery Film Festival and Symposium in Studio City, November 5-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org/>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Savannah Film Festival, October 23-30. For more information about this festival, go to filmfest.scad.edu.

The Right Words (BFA F1 2020 Valerie Betts) and On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) were selected for screening at the Wellington Film Festival in Florida, September 3-6. For more information about this festival, go to www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com<http://www.wellingtonfilmfestival.com/>.

Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) and Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/William Andrews) were selected for screening at the Art of Recovery Film Festival in Lake Worth, Florida, September 4-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.theartofrecoveryfilmfestival.com/<http://www.theartofrecoveryfilmfestival.com/>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the inaugural Feminist Film Festival in Bucharest, Romania, September 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to https://en.artfusion.ro/portfolio/join-our-feminist-september/.

Catering for COVID (BFA Documentary 2021 Natalia Coiro) was nominated for Best Student (College) Film and Best Documentary at the Victory International Film Festival in Evansville, Indiana, September 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to https://victoryiff.com/.

The Garden Show (BFA F3 2021 Rae Jenkins) was selected for screening at the Austin Spotlight Film Festival in Texas, on September 18th. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.austinspotlightfilmfestival.com/.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the New York Latino Film Festival, September 13-19. For more information, go to nylatinofilmfestival.com.

Quarantined (BFA Doc 2020 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

Wuhan Express (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiran Gordon) was selected for screening at the FEEDBACK Toronto Comedy Film & Screenplay Festival on September 10. For more information about this festival, go to https://festivalforcomedy.com/toronto/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman), Wing It (BFA Thesis 2020 Jillian Lucia/Brendan Arena) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Fort Myers Beach International Film Festival, September 14-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.fmbfilmfest.com/<http://www.fmbfilmfest.com/>.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) was selected for screening at the Tallahassee Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com<http://www.tallahasseefilmfestival.com>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net<http://www.tinff.net/>.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at the inaugural New York Indie Shorts Awards, September 22-23. For more information, go to www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork<http://www.indieshortsawards.com/newyork>.

FO[U]R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) and Killing It (BFA F3 2020 Kiran Gordon) were selected for screening at the Saints and Sinners Film Festival in New Port Richey, September 24-26. For more information about this festival go to www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com<http://www.saintsandsinnersfilmfestival.com/>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Miami Underground Film Festival, on September 25th. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.facebook.com/MiamiUndergroundFilmFestival/.

Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Reel Deal Film Festival in New Smyrna Beach, Florida, September 30 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to www.reeldealfilmfestival.com<http://www.reeldealfilmfestival.com/>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the inaugural Festival de Cine Indepiente Laberinto in Tunja, Colombia, October 2-7. For more information about this festival, go to https://cineclublaberinto.wordpress.com/.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the San Antonio Black International Film Festival in Texas, September 30 – October 3. For more information, go to www.sanantonioblackinternationalfilmfestival.com

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at Urbanworld in New York City, September 29 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to urbanworld.org.

For the Laughs (BFA Documentary 2020 Connie O’Connor/Barbs Citraro) was selected for screening at Slovak Queer Film Festival in Bratislava, Slovakia, October 6-10. For more information about this festival, go to www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/<http://www.ffi.sk/en/ffi/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) has been selected for screening and is nominated for an award at the Silicon Valley African Film Festival in Mountain View, California, October 7-10. For more information about this festival, go to svaff.org.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.slff.org<http://www.slff.org/>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the inaugural Black Legacy, online on October 17. For more information about this festival, go to www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/<http://www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com/>.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com/>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Reel Recovery Film Festival and Symposium in Studio City, November 5-11. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org/>.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com/>.