[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 10/28/21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Oct 28 19:11:51 EDT 2021

Are you excited yet? The FSUFILM Pub app is almost here! Finally, instant and private access to your fellow alumni and favorite professors. Share news, find roommates, jobs or job applicants, sell your gear, talk about what's going on in the industry or your city, all in one cool space just for FSUFILM. Check your inbox in November for an invitation to join. And there's a mobile app!

>From Barrington Smith-Seetachitt:  Last fall, Paul Seetachitt<https://www.facebook.com/thepaulguy?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZXHu6eOxOuhPfFXIcLTyWBSCAnYXP5hLtH-1c-ytxvsElF4wUJ2vayFEUs8TDNVr6HzFdWOXpPEPAkhgOsKeQ-RfmL3rIuVeNn7emheEgn8bv5rrB2P8EiCmJjZ0xuGuy8&__tn__=-%5DK-R> (MFA 07)  and I got to write "Time Out," a segment for CREEPSHOW on AMC’s Shudder... our very first produced TV credit!
We didn’t know exactly when our segment would air, so it was fun when Paul walked into our room (where I was writing in bed, of course) and, without preamble read me an excerpt from a review at https://bloody-disgusting.com/.../review-creepshow.../<https://bloody-disgusting.com/reviews/3688204/review-creepshow-season-3-timeless-terror-animated-horrors-weeks-episode/?fbclid=IwAR0WoQUJoTPDjVaVwTULpTHBl1pi8d89EmTTDiYxr_VH9Qs-7PtChwd1QG4>
"Barrington Smith and Paul Seetachitt’s story is a wistful one. There are no tangible monsters here, nor is there a character covering up a misdeed. The misguided Tim simply wants to honor his father, whose own time was cut short. This tale is not hard to connect to on an emotional level; everyone knows someone who worked themselves to death and was consequently deprived of life’s joys. “Time Out” is simple and direct, but it is also incredibly effective"
BloodyDisgusting.com<http://bloodydisgusting.com/?fbclid=IwAR0JWTK9hm72X2rL-RhDdR-HxNEU267RnhxAlQ2nCSS9elviKHIlhSdgW6Y> gave us four skulls, which is the highest rating of any of the episodes so far in the season. We were in good company with "Things in Oakwood's Past," an animated segment written and directed by the showrunner, Greg Nicotero. “

>From William Michael Redman (MFA 96) “I’m honored and thrilled to be a 2021 SOVAS Voice Arts® Awards Nominee in the category of "Outstanding Audio Description – TV or Film – Best Voice Actor.  The nomination is for the audio description narration I voiced for Deluxe for the 2018 film, Overlord, from Paramount Pictures.”

>From Mike Blevins (MFA12) “Just finished week 2 on the job as showrunners’ assistant.
I came to LA nearly 5 years ago wanting to get into a writer’s room and now I finally am in one! And on a great show! With two great showrunners! And amazing writers! This room is so inclusive, fun, and just cool. I am honored to be a part of it. I can’t wait for you all to see this show “Demascus” created by the brilliant Tearrance Arvelle Chisholm! Thank you so much Tearrance, @kirkwrites79, and Myki at Gran Via for allowing me to be a part of this journey. “

>From Kelsey Scott:  “I’m working with my hubby! Excited to share this hybrid theatre/film project Blackjack with y’all. Written and directed by the inimitable Malik B. El-Amin<https://www.facebook.com/malik.b.elamin?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZVhAhTypoi9aX0paFfkaBMe1b--RCD5wxHWF0hrEy3_-rYf9k2NZjNcdOXFQjSt3rfu9A7-qhFTINYNQdPCdHQfG08IX_YGcGOzhDT9SU5hmXpaD5heewmCjB7nH4BrYSoSu5i_jyCP-hkvJgUK7TQI&__tn__=-%5DK-R> - produced by Griot Theatre<https://www.facebook.com/GriotTheatre/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZVhAhTypoi9aX0paFfkaBMe1b--RCD5wxHWF0hrEy3_-rYf9k2NZjNcdOXFQjSt3rfu9A7-qhFTINYNQdPCdHQfG08IX_YGcGOzhDT9SU5hmXpaD5heewmCjB7nH4BrYSoSu5i_jyCP-hkvJgUK7TQI&__tn__=kK-R>, in association with A Noise Within Theatre<https://www.facebook.com/anoisewithintheatre/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZVhAhTypoi9aX0paFfkaBMe1b--RCD5wxHWF0hrEy3_-rYf9k2NZjNcdOXFQjSt3rfu9A7-qhFTINYNQdPCdHQfG08IX_YGcGOzhDT9SU5hmXpaD5heewmCjB7nH4BrYSoSu5i_jyCP-hkvJgUK7TQI&__tn__=kK-R> - with an appearance by me - this is my first creative collaboration with Malik . Socially distanced seating. Proof of vaccination required.  Hope to see y'all there! https://bit.ly/3G8Xe4Y<https://bit.ly/3G8Xe4Y?fbclid=IwAR08vE7e1ijave1mLitArA4vXnGdJOd1r-OjIUwqNoL_40k8wVyOj7ARjCo>”

>From Billy Hanson (BFA 05) “My story “The Clearing” has just made Coverfly’s Red List for short story thrillers. That one has always been a fan favorite from Spider Season, so it’s nice to see it getting some further recognition. “

Congratulations to Katie Alender (BFA 98) who’s new YA book The Companion is now on sale as an e-book at all book e-tailers!  This is Katie’s seventh book, all YA mysteries.  Go Katie!

DIrector of photography Craig Kief ASC (BFA 99) sent out an update email news blast about his work on the TV shows The Unicorn and The Kids Are Alright, and the Muppets Haunted Mansion special which was a Soapbox Films production alongside several FSU Alum. He has an article about this production which was largely shot inside a LED volume coming out in the November issue of American Cinematographer, and another article in the December edition looking into color rendition issues when shooting inside volumes. He also reports that Armando Salas ASC and he have been working together as co-chairs of the ASC’s Student Awards Committee, which they were asked to do because they were both previous recipients of the award when at FSU. The full update is here: https://us10.campaign-archive.com/?e=__test_email__&u=253440d6aa3e5d93ebae55145&id=19277377f0<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/us10.campaign-archive.com/?e=__test_email__&u=253440d6aa3e5d93ebae55145&id=19277377f0__;!!PhOWcWs!h3lt5Dc6D6jNgnWkG2c97ziK7uq2I7D3VA3Phl9zf9hExSwIX7b_Y-OYYJWQcz4$>

>From Nathan Alexander (BFA 99) “It's been an interesting pandemic for sure. I didn't work for nearly all of 2020 - but since March of 2021 I haven't missed a day of work as a freelancer. I've gotten to work with fellow alum Spencer Lenzie  (MFA 13) at Workshop Creative, and I'm currently on assignment at gnet with Katie and Michael Vargas. (BFA 11).  Several of my pre-pandemic pieces ended up being published this year, along with a Golden Trailer nomination for my work on Mulan, and a gold Promax win for my work on Disney Channel's "Zombies 2" The Creative Director at Disney Channel loved my piece for "Taken 3" and, in early 2020, requested something dark, twisted, and rhythmic for Zombies 2. My boss at the agency told me "just go nuts".  I created this piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L84R_tIPXV0<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=L84R_tIPXV0__;!!PhOWcWs!kX1FliFW-EY6z5I7XpQ1riY3Rs8s-gIiarRdUyO01GYwUUbkXRhY6svcmDlvjfw$>  The video campaign, consisting of my promo and 4 other pieces, was awarded a Gold Promax North America award for Children's Promo Campaign. No ceremony this year, due to COVID, but the statuette arrived on my doorstep yesterday. It takes its proud place among the others in my living room. You can see more of my work, including the other award winners here: http://www.thedigitaldork.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.thedigitaldork.com__;!!PhOWcWs!kX1FliFW-EY6z5I7XpQ1riY3Rs8s-gIiarRdUyO01GYwUUbkXRhY6svc4tfj2jU$>

The Warren Report is coming to you today from beautiful sunny California – we’ve been in LA all week reconnecting with alumni.  It’s been a truly amazing week and we are so proud of our alums who are doing so many different , wonderful things!  If we missed you this time, we hope to be back for a screening and film forum in late February, COVID permitting.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – October 28, 2021

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Jack Owen DP/Costa Karalis DR) was selected for screening at Camerimage in Torun, Poland, November 13-20. For more information about this festival, go to https://camerimage.pl/en/camerimage-2021/informacje-ogolne.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was Best Special Effects at the Spooky Empire Film Festival, October 22-24 in Orlando. For more information about this festival, go to www.spookyempire.com<http://www.spookyempire.com>.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) and Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 4-21, and are semi-finalists in the College Film Competition - Documentary Section. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor), of our trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross), On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis), La Perrera (MFA Thesis 2021 Alex Thiel) and Days of Glory (BFA F3 2021 Melissa Calderon) were selected for screening at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, Florida, November 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.enzian.org.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at the Hellbender Student Film Festival in St. Charles, Missouri, November 3-4. For more information about this festival, go to www.hellbenderfilmfestival.com<http://www.hellbenderfilmfestival.com>.

AliEN (MFA Thesis 2021 Shahbaz Khan) was selected for screening at the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) and The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana Lee White) were selected for screening in the online Gofobo Fast Forward Film Festival, Staff Picks: Horror Best Short Film, October 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://gofobo.com/fastforwardfilmfestival.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the New Florida Cinema in Sarasota on October 30th. For more information about this festival, go to newfloridacinema.org.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was invited and Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz), Sugar Mountain (BFA Doc 2021 Javier Barranco) and Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected to screen at the Middlesex Film Festival, in Chelmsford, MA, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://middlesexfilmfestival.com.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) is a Semi-Finalist in the Drama category at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Rome International Film Festival in Georgia, November 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.romeinternationalfilmfestival.com.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) was selected for screening at the Hollywood Florida Film Festival, November 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.hollywoodfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.hollywoodfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at the American Black Festival in New York City, November 3-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.abff.com<http://www.abff.com>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Savannah Film Festival, October 23-30. For more information about this festival, go to filmfest.scad.edu.

What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) was selected for screening at FilmQuest in Provo, Utah, October 29 – November 6. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com<http://www.filmquestfestival.com>.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Withered (MFA QD2 2020 Rita al Cuhna) was selected for screening at the Ibero-American Film Festival Miami, November 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.iaffm.com.

The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Reel Recovery Film Festival and Symposium in Studio City, November 5-11 and The Fifth Day is a Finalist. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org>.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2018 Bethany Miller) was selected for screening at the Franklin International Indie Film Festival in Tennessee, November 9-13. For more information about this festival, go to fiiff.org.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) was selected for screening at the African Film Festival Atlanta, November 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://africanfilmfestatl.com/.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021.

What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) was selected for screening at the New York City Short Comedy Film Festival on November 21. For more information about this festival, go to https://nycscff.com/.

Irreplaceable: Stories of Katrina (BFA Documentary 2020 Bretton Miller), FO(U)R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James), Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz), What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale), A Bloody Good Time (BFA Thesis 2021 Kaitlin Corwin) and Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the Carrboro Film Fest in North Carolina, November 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.carrborofilm.org<http://www.carrborofilm.org>.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) and Sugar Mountain (BFA Doc 2021 Javier Barranco) are Official Selections of the Central Florida Cinefest in Orlando, November 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://cfcinefest.org/.

Recipient (MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Chinese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, November 1-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.cafilmfestival.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

First Love (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiara Pomeroy) and Syena and the Orkestra (BFA F3 2020 Kiara Pomeroy) were selected for screening at Black Film Festival Atlanta, December 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/<http://www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/>.

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis), Dream Operator (BFA F3 2021 Bretton Miller) and The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, December 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to melbournefilmfest.com.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) was selected for screening at the Female Voices Rock Film Festival in New York City, December 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.femalevoicesrock.com.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Muestra Intergalactica de Cine festival in Saltillo, Mexico, December 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.muestraintergalactica.com<http://www.muestraintergalactica.com>.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at the New York International Women Festival, December 11-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.niff.net/.

The Ghost of You (BFA F3 2021 Rose Hoover), Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha), This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino), Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis), How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer), What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) and Just Juice (BFA F3 2021 Erica Chow) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival, January 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://dunedinfilmfestival.org/.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), Sugar Mountain (Javier Barranco), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne), Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz), What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) and No Man’s Land (BFA F3 2021 Landon Hogue) were selected for screening at the Jacksonville Film Festival, February 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://jacksonvillefilmfestival.com/2022.

Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) was selected for screening in the 2022 version (dates to be announced later) of San Antonio QFest. For more information about this festival, go to www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html.

 Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Diversity Showcase in Cannes, May 17-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/.

Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at the Cannes Film Festival - The American Pavilion<http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/>
Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at the Cannes Film Festival
www.ampav.com