[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 10.21.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Oct 21 17:09:35 EDT 2021

It's coming! The FSUFILM app! Finally, instant access to the alumni network and the mother ship. Share news, find roommates, jobs or job applicants, sell your gear, talk about what's going on in the industry or your city, all in one private space just for FSUFILM. Watch your inbox in November for an invitation to join. There's even a cool mobile app!

Reb, Brett Lee, Brenda and I will be in LA next week, arriving on Monday afternoon and leaving on Friday.   We have a busy week of scheduled meetings, but Brenda and I will have mornings available if you want to meet up.  We will be staying at WHollywood, 6250 Hollywood Blvd, so if you live or work in that area maybe we have coffee or something.  Text us if you want to set something up:  Brenda is at 850 228 9512 and cell is 850 524 0063.

Congratulations to Valerie Scoon , Film School Producing Faculty, for the continued acclaim of “Invisible History” and a feature in this week’s Tallahassee Democrat: https://tinyurl.com/kmrnxt3p.  Valerie just found out “Invisible History” has been nominated for the 45th Annual Suncoast Regional Emmy Awards!!!

>From Kelly Bumford (BFA 09) “I’ve been busy the past 11 months working with Tremolo Productions on the new Hulu Original series “The Next Thing You Eat” with David Chang and Majordomo Media. I Line Produced the series and was involved in every single part of the show - from production, creative, animation, etc and all of the above. It was a massive lift during COVID - 43 shoot days with 250+ crew members in 6 countries and 12 cities! With all of the international shoots produced/directed completely remote from LA! Idan Menin (BFA 12) was one of our  DPs, and Wasly Castillo (MFA 19) was the Production Designer for our futuristic Unreal Engines stage day. The Next Thing You Eat premieres October 21st on Hulu! Check it out! You might also spot some billboards around LA & NYC!!”

After more than 20 years in film festivals, Erik Jambor (BFA 93) just went back to school to get a film editing MFA from Ravensbourne University London. Erik spent years as an Avid editor before starting Birmingham, Alabama’s Sidewalk Film Festival in 1999, so the new degree is helping him Get Back to his post-FSU roots. Now based in Memphis, he’s planning to work on long-form documentaries — but first he’s hitting the festival circuit with TIN SANDWICH BLUES, a short doc about his blues harmonica playing dad. (Catch it online at the Indie Memphis Film Festival beginning Thursday 10/21… https://tinyurl.com/tinsandwich<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/tinyurl.com/tinsandwich__;!!PhOWcWs!nEdNAhZeo0pvpYkw2X_NWieaWWcL6xzscWK_X-tRYGzohv7lqe_YgULmLsBn6ME$>)

Check out this interview with Alex Amick (BFA 11) in POST magazine, where Alex explains why this puppet driven Disney+ special presented unique editing challenges:  https://bit.ly/3lUZTa2<https://bit.ly/3lUZTa2?fbclid=IwAR2MBMxfEb7v9afC7ktDsInR_hFRWB37Vko6UdsY0Of4MGIzLG4VQXwSGME>

>From Steven Faulkner Moyer (MFA 97) “Excited to announce I am now represented by @emissaryartists  Thanks to Liz Baugher and Stacey Jakubiak for placing your trust in me. Emissary has a fantastic pool of talent, and I am humbled to join the team!”

>From Zach Freeman (BFA 20) “I got off an indie feature as a Locations Assistant / Set PA early in September before dayplaying on HBO’s Love & Death. Now, I’m working on Hypnotic, Robert Rodriguez’s upcoming feature film as a Backgrounds / Set PA. Very grateful for these opportunities! Otherwise, I’ve been slowly releasing original content through my production company Eye To Infinity including a podcast (Problems & Pancakes) and a cover song EP called "The Covers" (for my music under the artist name Frelsi).  Biggest project coming up is an animated music video I’ve written & directed, which is set to drop early 2022. Fellow FSU alumni Chelsea Low (as the storyboard artist) and Maria Passafaro (as the background artist) are also working on the project. It's been a very fulfilling season of work and learning. Looking forward to what's ahead!"

>From Livia Ohihoin (BFA 18) " Lio's Adornments<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.liosadornments.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!nV4HLRLbZ4QSvX6IHSMFXgtiNFH4pKI5GcpjBn47VI7lvSlqrjn1fn_ai4fHZIA$>, where Jewelry meets Poetry, is now up and running!!! Those who know me, know that I've been creating and selling Jewelry for a few years now but about a year ago I had a mindshift regarding this medium and wanted to restructure it. Many tears of joy and frustration later, I have now officially launched my small business and first collection. Lio's Adornments<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.liosadornments.com/__;!!PhOWcWs!nV4HLRLbZ4QSvX6IHSMFXgtiNFH4pKI5GcpjBn47VI7lvSlqrjn1fn_ai4fHZIA$> are Jewelry, Wall Hangings, and Mobiles based on stories of yours or stories of my own. I would be deeply grateful if you could take a moment to peruse my work and share it with your communities! Love, LIO "

>From Jonathan Stone, Film School  Head of Visual Effects:  Cool news on the Alumni Front: Alum Justin Burt (BFA 2017) recently landed his first VFX Producer gig on the WB’s Star Girl series - he was formerly a coordinator at Marvel. Not only is Justin now producing, he recently hired alum Luke Berard (BFA 2021) and Samuel Maxwell (MFA 2020) as VFX PAs…..believe us when we say - the FSU Alumni Network works!!

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – October 21, 2021

Sugar Mountain (BFA Doc 2021 Javier Barranco) was selected to screen at the Middlesex Film Festival, in Chelmsford, MA, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://middlesexfilmfestival.com.

Sugar Mountain (BFA Doc 2021 Javier Barranco) is an Official Selection of the Central Florida Cinefest in Orlando, November 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://cfcinefest.org/.

Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the Brooklyn Women’s Film Festival, October 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.brooklynwomensfilmfestival.com<http://www.brooklynwomensfilmfestival.com>.

Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Diversity Showcase in Cannes, May 17-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/.

What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) and A Bloody Good Time (BFA Thesis 2021 Kaitlin Corwin) were selected for screening at the Carrboro Film Fest in North Carolina, November 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.carrborofilm.org<http://www.carrborofilm.org>.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) and What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) were selected for screening at the Jacksonville Film Festival, February 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://jacksonvillefilmfestival.com/2022.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) was selected for screening at the Female Voices Rock Film Festival in New York City, December 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.femalevoicesrock.com.

What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) was selected for screening at the Atlanta Underground Film Festival September 19th. For more information about this festival, go to www.auff.org<http://www.auff.org>.

What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) was selected for screening at FilmQuest in Provo, Utah, October 29 – November 6. For more information about this festival, go to www.filmquestfestival.com<http://www.filmquestfestival.com>.

What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) was selected for screening at the New York City Short Comedy Film Festival on November 21. For more information about this festival, go to https://nycscff.com/.

What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) was selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival, January 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://dunedinfilmfestival.org/.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) was selected for screening at the African Film Festival Atlanta, November 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://africanfilmfestatl.com/.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Immigration Film Fest in Washington, DC, October 14-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://immigrationfilmfest.org/.

A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Doc 2021 Beatriz Arrocha) and Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) were selected for screening at the Story? – International Student Documentary Festival in Cork, Ireland, October 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://crawford.cit.ie/story/.

Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) and Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Topaz Film Festival in Dallas, October 18-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.wifdallas.org<http://www.wifdallas.org>.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) and Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the Studio City Film Festival in Los Angeles, November 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.studiocityfilmfestival.com<http://www.studiocityfilmfestival.com>.

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis) was selected for screening at the Absurd Art House Film Festival in Blue Town, Kent in the UK on October 23rd. For more information about this festival, go to absurdah.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 11-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.umff.com<http://www.umff.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Spooky Empire Film Festival, October 22-24 in Orlando. For more information about this festival, go to www.spookyempire.com<http://www.spookyempire.com>.

Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) was selected for screening at the Naples International Film Festival on October 25th. For more information about this festival, go to www.naplesfilmfest.com<http://www.naplesfilmfest.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) and The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana Lee White) were selected for screening in the online Gofobo Fast Forward Film Festival, Staff Picks: Horror Best Short Film, October 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://gofobo.com/fastforwardfilmfestival.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the New Florida Cinema in Sarasota on October 30th. For more information about this festival, go to newfloridacinema.org.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was invited and Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) and Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected to screen at the Middlesex Film Festival, in Chelmsford, MA, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://middlesexfilmfestival.com.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) is a Semi-Finalist in the Drama category at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Rome International Film Festival in Georgia, November 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.romeinternationalfilmfestival.com.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) was selected for screening at the Hollywood Florida Film Festival, November 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.hollywoodfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.hollywoodfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at the American Black Festival in New York City, November 3-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.abff.com<http://www.abff.com>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Savannah Film Festival, October 23-30. For more information about this festival, go to filmfest.scad.edu.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Withered (MFA QD2 2020 Rita al Cuhna) was selected for screening at the Ibero-American Film Festival Miami, November 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.iaffm.com.

The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Reel Recovery Film Festival and Symposium in Studio City, November 5-11 and The Fifth Day is a Finalist. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org>.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2018 Bethany Miller) was selected for screening at the Franklin International Indie Film Festival in Tennessee, November 9-13. For more information about this festival, go to fiiff.org.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021.

Irreplaceable: Stories of Katrina (BFA Documentary 2020 Bretton Miller), FO(U)R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James), Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) and Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the Carrboro Film Fest in North Carolina, November 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.carrborofilm.org<http://www.carrborofilm.org>.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) is an Official Selection of the Central Florida Cinefest in Orlando, November 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://cfcinefest.org/.

Recipient (MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Chinese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, November 1-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.cafilmfestival.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

First Love (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiara Pomeroy) and Syena and the Orkestra (BFA F3 2020 Kiara Pomeroy) were selected for screening at Black Film Festival Atlanta, December 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/<http://www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/>.

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis), Dream Operator (BFA F3 2021 Bretton Miller) and The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, December 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to melbournefilmfest.com.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Muestra Intergalactica de Cine festival in Saltillo, Mexico, December 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.muestraintergalactica.com<http://www.muestraintergalactica.com>.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at the New York International Women Festival, December 11-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.niff.net/.

The Ghost of You (BFA F3 2021 Rose Hoover), Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha), This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino), Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis), How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) and Just Juice (BFA F3 2021 Erica Chow) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival, January 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://dunedinfilmfestival.org/.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), Sugar Mountain (Javier Barranco), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) and No Man’s Land (BFA F3 2021 Landon Hogue) were selected for screening at the Jacksonville Film Festival, February 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://jacksonvillefilmfestival.com/2022.

Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) was selected for screening in the 2022 version (dates to be announced later) of San Antonio QFest. For more information about this festival, go to www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html<http://www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html>.

SA Qfest Film Festival - Pride San Antonio, INC.<http://www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html>
San Antonio QFest Juror Todd Martens, co-creator of MMproduc tionsLA, is a writer/producer recently relocated from Los Angeles to San Antonio. Managing the production office of Albert S Ruddy, Todd has co-produced television and film projects and as partner in MMproductionsLA has written/directed/staged alternative musical theater at historic Los Angeles venues.
www.pridesanantonio.org