[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 10.14.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu Oct 14 16:29:07 EDT 2021

>From Iman Zawahry (MFA 08) “My first time directing a series. I have so many thoughts and feelings about seeing my name on this script, but here’s the gist: I first met Zarqa Nawaz<https://www.facebook.com/zarqanawaz/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWkCGdo-rYh_MJ5eZ5jz1vhvdxfdttxpz3RWXwhfg9nXeQgbE7f-WfOM4hh10Z19Sq9scGT2-bokqXfnwOBt2szvlmCnMDxwuDXTuYbIo9-PO96-6X3owI-NL54sePwRCeeHBJiZJsoKqPHXGT32gux&__tn__=kK-R> in 2009 at the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA)<https://www.facebook.com/isnahq/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWkCGdo-rYh_MJ5eZ5jz1vhvdxfdttxpz3RWXwhfg9nXeQgbE7f-WfOM4hh10Z19Sq9scGT2-bokqXfnwOBt2szvlmCnMDxwuDXTuYbIo9-PO96-6X3owI-NL54sePwRCeeHBJiZJsoKqPHXGT32gux&__tn__=kK-R> conference (see last photo). She interviewed me for a documentary on hijab, and we’ve stayed connected ever since. When she had the idea to create a self-titled series for CBC<https://www.facebook.com/cbc/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWkCGdo-rYh_MJ5eZ5jz1vhvdxfdttxpz3RWXwhfg9nXeQgbE7f-WfOM4hh10Z19Sq9scGT2-bokqXfnwOBt2szvlmCnMDxwuDXTuYbIo9-PO96-6X3owI-NL54sePwRCeeHBJiZJsoKqPHXGT32gux&__tn__=kK-R>, she fought to have a Muslim woman as a director and worked so hard to get me to Canada (which is much more involved than I thought with my American privilege). What’s even cooler: She’s included three awesome directors who are first-time TV directors—me, Muslim woman, an indigenous Canadian woman, and a white Canadian woman. Add to that, an amazing Latinx DP and bad a$$ EP, all led by Zarqa. At our first table read, I felt chills sitting with these incredible women, as we work on a show about a hilarious lead Muslim female character. I never thought I’d be in a position where another Muslim woman invited me to direct a show. I’m so elated to be here.”

Teresa Sutherland (MFA 12) wrote and is directing Lovely, Dark and Deep in Portugal!!!!     https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2021/10/georgina-campbell-lovely-dark-and-deep-deborah-s-craig-meet-cute-film-castings-1234854107/amp/

Kenneth B. Jones (MFA 1991/Inaugural Class) will release his third independent film, MY MUSIC in early November.  Set in the 1980s, MY MUSIC is the story of Ruth, a 16-year-old who is sent to take care of her aging Aunt Inez; an elderly woman suffering with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.  Isolated, lonely, and exhausted, Ruth finds respite from the daily challenges of caregiving by listening to music from her aunt’s old record collection and dreaming of becoming a famous singer. MY MUSIC was a Sedona Film Festival pick (2019) and will open at the CMX Cinemas Fallschase 14 in Tallahassee November 5-7 with community conversations immediately following each viewing.  Jones, whose family is steeped in the traditions of caregiving, wrote MY MUSIC based on his experiences, and is using the power of the silver screen to share his caregiving message.  Tickets are on sale now at Eventbrite (https://mymusicthemovie.eventbrite.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/mymusicthemovie.eventbrite.com__;!!PhOWcWs!g13zclwX5l0cXqq2U21BtoXzL5VWY239LBwDr4w_ZKwI_mOsizByb3jzk8xlICQ$>).  For more information, e-mail JVisionPictures3 at gmail.com<mailto:JVisionPictures3 at gmail.com>. #mymusicthemovie #acaregiversstory

>From Michael Moragne (BFA 04) “Hey everyone!! I finally get to share what I’ve been working on for the past couple of years! Check out the teaser trailer below for our new show: Dreamworks’ Dragons: The Nine Realms!!!  The future of dragons is here in the all-new animated series, DreamWorks Dragons: The Nine Realms. Coming to Hulu<https://www.facebook.com/hulu/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWWN4FVtjsCybnzfYWxnxnNxSZvDmqguL36wHZ_AzN4byuZPtiHOndbuA_XjIhboibW7pkdUmZ8QeBaKzU2W1HG_CYnRkW9slWjNUl0RFkVUptwZUCzK4eQY9VBTxoAtv2KxSyMPLdWmVZ3eNbgM95ajK0RRzqVZ4oqkYIcl7tptA&__tn__=kK-y-R> and Peacock TV<https://www.facebook.com/PeacockTV/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWWN4FVtjsCybnzfYWxnxnNxSZvDmqguL36wHZ_AzN4byuZPtiHOndbuA_XjIhboibW7pkdUmZ8QeBaKzU2W1HG_CYnRkW9slWjNUl0RFkVUptwZUCzK4eQY9VBTxoAtv2KxSyMPLdWmVZ3eNbgM95ajK0RRzqVZ4oqkYIcl7tptA&__tn__=kK-y-R> on December 23rd.

>From Jill Somers (BFA 14) “I still remember the first day of season 1 back in 2016 (Ozark). We were at the Chicago Byrde House, and I was the wide-eyed and excited background PA. It’s been a long, emotional, and life-changing four seasons (and six years!!), and thanks to my mentor and friend @townsonwells (among others), I was trusted with the opportunity to spend most of season 4 as a key 2nd AD. So much love to everyone involved, so many thanks to the PAs and the crew, and SO ready for a vacation! “

Local filmmakers are telling Miami stories their way. Meet six of them — Miami Herald<https://apple.news/ANdhg9R4GQ2i_KqvYrq7S8g>
First filmmaker featured is Faren Humes, (MFA 11!

>From Imani Armand (BFA 24) “I just finished working on this drama series (Mindoverr) with some incredible people, take a look at it when you get the chance! there’s drama, romance, superpowers, and pretty shots. yWJDjgRpdW1Q<https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCqvsXugj_DVyWJDjgRpdW1Q>.  I was screenwriter, director, sound, & editor. I created this with two of my close friends, Veronica Martinez and Selene Serra. We all wrote and directed it. The other jobs were split amongst the three of us.”

> [...]

We had an amazing weekend in New York. Paige had lots of interest in our programs at the All American High School Film Festival where she had a popular table at the college fair. Brenda participated in a panel where the topic was Careers in Filmmaking Outside of Directing at that same festival. And we had dinners, lunches, brunches, etc. with lots of alums – a wonderful fun time catching up with our alums and making us so proud of what they are involved in.

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – October 14, 2021

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was awarded Best Young Creator at Urbanworld in New York City, September 29 – October 3. For more information about this festival, go to urbanworld.org.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the NALIP Latino Media Fest in Los Angeles, October 13-14. For more information about this festival, go to https://www.latinomediafest.com.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) and The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana Lee White) selected for screening in the online Gofobo Fast Forward Film Festival, Staff Picks: Horror Best Short Film, October 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://gofobo.com/fastforwardfilmfestival.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at the New York International Women Festival, December 11-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.niff.net/.

The Ghost of You (BFA F3 2021 Rose Hoover), Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha), This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino), Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis), How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer), and Just Juice (BFA F3 2021 Erica Chow) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival, January 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://dunedinfilmfestival.org/.

Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) and No Man’s Land (BFA F3 2021 Landon Hogue) were selected for screening at the Jacksonville Film Festival, February 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://jacksonvillefilmfestival.com/2022.

Irreplaceable: Stories of Katrina (BFA Documentary 2020 Bretton Miller), FO(U)R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James), Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) and Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the Carrboro Film Fest in North Carolina, November 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.carrborofilm.org<http://www.carrborofilm.org>.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) and The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White) were selected for screening in the online Gofobo Fast Forward Film Festival, Staff Picks: Horror Best Short Film, October 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://gofobo.com/fastforwardfilmfestival.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Rome International Film Festival in Georgia, November 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.romeinternationalfilmfestival.com.

A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Doc 2021 Beatriz Arrocha) was selected for screening at the Story? – International Student Documentary Festival in Cork, Ireland, October 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://crawford.cit.ie/story/.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) and Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the Studio City Film Festival in Los Angeles, November 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.studiocityfilmfestival.com<http://www.studiocityfilmfestival.com>.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) and Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Middlesex Film Festival, in Chelmsford, MA, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://middlesexfilmfestival.com.

They Only See Our Faces (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at ZUMEFF in the United Arab Emirates, October 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to www.zu.ac.ae<http://www.zu.ac.ae>.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Portland Film Festival, October 10–16. For more information about this festival, go to www.portlandfilmfestival.com<http://www.portlandfilmfestival.com>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Seattle Latino Film Festival, October 8-17. For more information about this festival, go to www.slff.org<http://www.slff.org>.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the inaugural Black Legacy, online on October 17. For more information about this festival, go to www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/<http://www.blacklegacyfilmfestival.com/>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at Screamfest in Los Angeles, October 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to www.screamfestla.com<http://www.screamfestla.com>.

Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza) was selected for screening at the Immigration Film Fest in Washington, DC, October 14-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://immigrationfilmfest.org/.

Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) and Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Topaz Film Festival in Dallas, October 18-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.wifdallas.org<http://www.wifdallas.org>.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) was selected for screening at the Story? – International Student Documentary Festival in Cork, Ireland, October 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://crawford.cit.ie/story/.

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis) was selected for screening at the Absurd Art House Film Festival in Blue Town, Kent in the UK on October 23rd. For more information about this festival, go to absurdah.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening at the Urban Mediamakers Festival in Atlanta, October 11-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.umff.com<http://www.umff.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Spooky Empire Film Festival, October 22-24 in Orlando. For more information about this festival, go to www.spookyempire.com<http://www.spookyempire.com>.

Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) was selected for screening at the Naples International Film Festival on October 25th. For more information about this festival, go to www.naplesfilmfest.com<http://www.naplesfilmfest.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening in the online Gofobo Fast Forward Film Festival, Staff Picks: Horror Best Short Film, October 25-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://gofobo.com/fastforwardfilmfestival.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the New Florida Cinema in Sarasota on October 30th. For more information about this festival, go to newfloridacinema.org.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com<http://www.orlandofilmfest.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was invited to screen at the Middlesex Film Festival, in Chelmsford, MA, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://middlesexfilmfestival.com.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) is a Semi-Finalist in the Drama category at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) was selected for screening at the Hollywood Florida Film Festival, November 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.hollywoodfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.hollywoodfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at the American Black Festival in New York City, November 3-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.abff.com<http://www.abff.com>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Savannah Film Festival, October 23-30. For more information about this festival, go to filmfest.scad.edu.

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at Sunscreen West in Hermosa Beach, November 5-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://ssffwest.com/.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Withered (MFA QD2 2020 Rita al Cuhna) was selected for screening at the Ibero-American Film Festival Miami, November 3-7. For more information about this festival, go to www.iaffm.com.

The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Reel Recovery Film Festival and Symposium in Studio City, November 5-11 and The Fifth Day is a Finalist. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org>.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2018 Bethany Miller) was selected for screening at the Franklin International Indie Film Festival in Tennessee, November 9-13. For more information about this festival, go to fiiff.org.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) is an Official Selection of the Central Florida Cinefest in Orlando, November 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://cfcinefest.org/.

Recipient (MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Chinese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, November 1-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.cafilmfestival.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

First Love (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiara Pomeroy) and Syena and the Orkestra (BFA F3 2020 Kiara Pomeroy) were selected for screening at Black Film Festival Atlanta, December 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/<http://www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/>.

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis), Dream Operator (BFA F3 2021 Bretton Miller) and The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, December 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to melbournefilmfest.com.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Muestra Intergalactica de Cine festival in Saltillo, Mexico, December 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.muestraintergalactica.com<http://www.muestraintergalactica.com>.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), Sugar Mountain (Javier Barranco), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) was selected for screening in the 2022 version (dates to be announced later) of San Antonio QFest. For more information about this festival, go to www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html<http://www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html>.

SA Qfest Film Festival - Pride San Antonio, INC.<http://www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html>
San Antonio QFest Juror Todd Martens, co-creator of MMproduc tionsLA, is a writer/producer recently relocated from Los Angeles to San Antonio. Managing the production office of Albert S Ruddy, Todd has co-produced television and film projects and as partner in MMproductionsLA has written/directed/staged alternative musical theater at historic Los Angeles venues.
www.pridesanantonio.org