[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 11.30.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Tue Nov 30 12:44:04 EST 2021

From Rob Muraskin (MFA 05) “Here’s a link to the season two trailer:
https://youtu.be/CJyavZ_HtpY   Want to wish you and the extended FSU family a happy holiday season! For most of the past year, I’ve been working on a documentary series called Trafficked for National Geographic— it’s an immersive look at black markets around the world. The second season drops Wed l, Dec 1 at 9/8c on @NatGeoTV and will stream on Hulu. I directed the first episode, which looks at underground plastic surgery in the US. It’s bananas!!”

From Kelsey Scott (MFA) “This is my third season on "Insecure". The first of my three episodes airs tomorrow on HBO and HBOMax. 10p EST/9p Central.  Y’all ready to rumble?! Saying #hifelicia<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/hifelicia?__eep__=6&__cft__%5B0%5D=AZW9j9mpOqYDliUFliNhjE8GPIDILrGZXvWI-F7P8aLrmQ5RbwtWxGJZdNYrlttjH6ErEVsndXfTv-iVqGYOC6g_ja3NyPh0gSR8GUL9cWo8X8T43HNpngi-YUmw6tsRU3V17XrxxbHSwK5bRd9wVvko&__tn__=*NK-R> this Sunday as I return to @insecurehbo — Always down for shenanigans with my on-screen partner in crime Actress Nikiva Dionne<https://www.facebook.com/nikivadionne?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZW9j9mpOqYDliUFliNhjE8GPIDILrGZXvWI-F7P8aLrmQ5RbwtWxGJZdNYrlttjH6ErEVsndXfTv-iVqGYOC6g_ja3NyPh0gSR8GUL9cWo8X8T43HNpngi-YUmw6tsRU3V17XrxxbHSwK5bRd9wVvko&__tn__=-%5DK-R> Let’s get it started!”

From Cody Gallo (BFA 05) "I have been overdue for an update, so I will do my best to keep it shortish. Last January my family and I made the leap to move abroad and relocated from San Diego to Bergen, Norway where my wife had accepted a four-year position at the University of Bergen. It may sound like a crazy move to make in the middle of a pandemic, but we had talked about living abroad for years and the timing finally felt right. We had also narrowed Bergen down as a European city that might actually cater to both our careers (Oceanography for her and Film for me), and it turns out we weren’t wrong. Just a few days out of my travel quarantine, I received a message from fellow alum and Norwegian, Ulvrik Wolf Kraft (BFA 04), offering to link me up with a few Bergen-based producers he’s worked with. That connection resulted in me being hired almost on the spot as 1st AD to prep and shoot a Norwegian feature "The Nightmare” <<Marerittet>> From that I jumped on as 2nd AD for “Leave,” another feature on which Wolf was associate producer and script doctor. While still shooting that one, I was booked right onto 1st AD the winter unit of the epic, Norwegian WWII drama “War Sailor” <<Krigseileren>>. Having just wrapped that production, I am now flying up to Alta in the Arctic Circle for a director’s scout of a winter unit for another feature “Let the River Flow” <<La Elve Leve>>, a 1970’s period drama about the Sami indigenous people fighting for rights and environmental justice, which we will shoot in late January. It should be quite an adventure since the sun won’t even rise for the first 5 days of filming. The Nordic region is on fire for production right now, so it’s an exciting time to be here. I also hope to write and talk more about the model here of scheduling 8-10 hour shooting days and prioritizing work/life balance. Between prep and shoot, I have worked more days in one year here, but at the same time I have also spent more time with my family. On top of it all, we were also able to buy our first property here, a flat in the city center, and my daughter goes to a world-class nature kindergarten on top of one of the mountains overlooking the city…alright, I’ll stop :P ... We wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving (we will miss a good turkey-day with family and friends)!"

Congratulations to Jennifer Zoila Millien (MFA 10) for starting a new position as English Lecturer at Hochschule Macromedia | Macromedia University of Applied Sciences.

From Sarah Gambles (MFA 21):  “ I have been given the best holiday gift! I have been hired as a Showrunner’s Assistant to Gary Lennon. Gary has multiple upcoming television and film projects at studios around town (Netflix, Starz, Showtime, FX, and HBO) and has produced many award-winning shows including Orange is the New Black, Euphoria, Power, and Hightown. He is a wonderful boss and mentor who has committed himself to guiding the careers of many emerging writers and directors. I’m already learning a ton and am grateful and beyond excited about this new venture. Happy holidays and stay safe!”

From Jeffrey Lerner (MFA 94) “Have you ever had a lucid dream? Did you discover what seems real might only be manufactured in your imagination? It’s been twenty years since the premiere of Cameron Crowe’s evocative and mesmerizing film, VANILLA SKY. This visually stunning film, photographed boldly by the masterful John Toll A.S.C., haunts you along with the performances by Tom Cruise, Penelope Cruz, and Cameron Diaz. I had the privilege of working with Cameron Crowe and his team at Vinyl Films to help produce new bonus materials for this transcendent film. With a brand new transfer supervised by Cameron Crowe, now is a great time to revisit this mind bending drama. Thank you to the folks at Paramount Home Entertainment for the opportunity as well as Jesse Lindorf and Chris Colley for their help.  https://paramnt.us/VanillaSky<https://paramnt.us/VanillaSky?fbclid=IwAR1k6k1zWP8tTd6C5K_giOvlD28rX7MbQZNf65ANhK4WWxxp720D3FzJIgw>

From Nick Markart (BFA 19) ““Last year, my Uncle Steve experienced cardiac arrest after a long battle with a rare heart disease known as cardiac sarcoidosis. Now, about a year later, I am proud to be sharing the trailer for the documentary that we produced about his near-death experience and newfound mission after the fateful operation. The film will be releasing for free later this week on Thanksgiving. If you can, please share this trailer to help us spread the word!.  Here’s the link to the full doc.  https://youtu.be/M-6MCnUwbg0

From Jason Ambler (BFA 09) “Falcon's Beyond<https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100070667550867&__cft__%5B0%5D=AZW6VHjElg1WYiazKoPcbehSHc2A99n7PZj1fV48pVfgJptb7NElRIXYyDRBV2_vwH4nZx_dMRl83UgwNExulPa-V_Oo_GKpfGZY1IR_61y80W-1hQo4i3sKej0hs9ANj28&__tn__=-%5DK-R> announces first world-class theme park in the Caribbean - Project to create new entertainment destination is in partnership with Meliá Hotels International<https://www.facebook.com/MeliaHotelsInternational/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZW6VHjElg1WYiazKoPcbehSHc2A99n7PZj1fV48pVfgJptb7NElRIXYyDRBV2_vwH4nZx_dMRl83UgwNExulPa-V_Oo_GKpfGZY1IR_61y80W-1hQo4i3sKej0hs9ANj28&__tn__=kK-R> | via Blooloop<https://www.facebook.com/Blooloop.attractions.industry.news.themepark/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZW6VHjElg1WYiazKoPcbehSHc2A99n7PZj1fV48pVfgJptb7NElRIXYyDRBV2_vwH4nZx_dMRl83UgwNExulPa-V_Oo_GKpfGZY1IR_61y80W-1hQo4i3sKej0hs9ANj28&__tn__=kK-R>!    https://blooloop.com/theme-park/news/falcons-beyond-theme-park-caribbean/?fbclid=IwAR1E6R2x-llMF1t0zVSGi9ysvQ5EN9kpsSVzQaJupzL8lzegN0WXEuq1hXA#0

From Jake Morgan (MFA Writing 16):  “ Joe Morgan (MFA Writing 16)  and I have partnered with Tom Bancroft (Mulan, Aladdin, Lion King) and his studio, Pencilish Animation Studios, to create an animated series! Here's the official announcement from Pencilish:

"We HAVE A NEW SERIES! Yep, added to the three IP's/series already in development, Pencilish has made an agreement to partner with pro screenwriters Jake Morgan and Joe Morgan (Disney's "Puppy Dog Pals") (unrelated, but friends) to create what is tentatively titled "WarPigs" as an animated property with goals of making it into a TOY LINE, among other things! Without revealing too much, it's a story about a pig in medieval times that discovers that there's much more to the farm/land around him. Mystical forces surround their village and there is an Arthurian-type guild of pig warriors that has secretly been protecting the land for centuries-of which he must now come a part! Pencilish now co-owns this property with the Morgans'! Script writing has already begun and visual development will happen shortly. "
https://wefunder.com/updates/149825-last-7-days-exciting-announcements-all-week-long

From Diandra Pendleton-Thompson (MFA Writing 2015): Just weeks after our premiere, Star Trek: Prodigy is renewed for season 2 and I'm back in the writer's room again! If you haven't watched yet, you're in for fantastic adventures and gorgeous animation that will delight Trekkies of all ages. The first five episodes of Season 1 are streaming on Paramount+ and the back half will air in early 2022. Look out for my first TV writing credit on episode 107! Lastly, I'm not sure how long the promotion runs, but you can get a month free of a new Paramount+ subscription using the code: Prodigy-Plus! LLAP!
https://deadline.com/2021/11/star-trek-prodigy-renewed-season-2-paramount-1234869896/<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/deadline.com/2021/11/star-trek-prodigy-renewed-season-2-paramount-1234869896/__;!!PhOWcWs!kNmk74nnTeEDAKypFCVbUW0d9h-wrfJ1RZOsO4apBWFpx2qv8IpjZHBlU4r5xns$>

From Gray Lindsey (MFA Writing '18): I am excited to let everyone know that I began work as a Marketing Coordinator at LionsGate in November! I specifically work in Segment 2 which focuses on mid-budget movies with limited theatrical releases, and I have to say it's been pretty awesome to see just how useful my film school education has been in reviewing trailers, assessing scripts, and creating strategies to help our titles reach the widest possible audience. “

From Oualid Mouaness (MFA 97) “Dispatch from CANNES, FRANCE
#LIBAN1982<https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/liban1982?__eep__=6&__cft__%5b0%5d=AZXSY4qOvo85PFj-oYCX4_5kb6c16ynNNJ1vanXcDxFqx_CSO_R8Yj3dH_0RDwjkM__XbRHCSdxIwjwhejEUVQvFNdD0ke00POy8InHUAFrEsQb90XTQb4CCh7k4hxgJGWAXuE23BYZu2viI6G2vAcEn&__tn__=*NK-R> 1982 The Film<https://www.facebook.com/1982THEFILM/?__cft__%5b0%5d=AZXSY4qOvo85PFj-oYCX4_5kb6c16ynNNJ1vanXcDxFqx_CSO_R8Yj3dH_0RDwjkM__XbRHCSdxIwjwhejEUVQvFNdD0ke00POy8InHUAFrEsQb90XTQb4CCh7k4hxgJGWAXuE23BYZu2viI6G2vAcEn&__tn__=kK-R> achieved the honor of winning the:  PRIX CANNES ÉCRAN JUNIORS 2021  (Cannes Youths Sidebar). Beautiful news as the film is in Cinémas in France & in Sweden - COMINT SOON to select cities in the US, Canada...

Update from Sean Tien (MFA 13) “So... after grinding in LA for a few years after graduation, I was fortunate enough to get a lot of great experiences working on commercials and feature sets, in which I started to work more as an AD and Line Producer for various US/China/Taiwan productions, with the majority being international co-productions, aside from numerous independent short films. Around 2016/2017, I produced a commercial for Chinese Telecom company Huawei which starred the famous dance troupe Jabbawockeez and was shot in Las Vegas. I then 1st AD'd a Taiwan/Filipino production which was shot in both countries.Soon afterwards in 2018 I decided to focus more on Directing and shot a few short films of my own, which FSU classmates also came and helped. This led me to directing commercials and music videos in the US and Taiwan for the next year. I directed three music videos for artists signed under X Entertainment (Taiwan) which produced and represents some of the new and famous young talent in Taiwan. But I wouldn't have been able to do it without the help of classmates Ben Fredman, Morgan McNeal, and Bryn Hubbard.  Then, due to the pandemic, my momentum stopped and lost quite a few clients. But because in 2020 Taiwan was super safe and contained, I was mainly focused and based in Taiwan. The pandemic was quelled swiftly and I shot another short titled TRADITIONAL DRAG 變裝 which so far has had a pretty good festival run in the US, winning awards at six film festivals including the LA Film Festival.  This year, right after Chinese New Year, me and fellow classmate Antonia Chia-Ni Lin (MFA 2013) pitched a feature together in Taiwan and we were greenlit! Funding was there, the treatment was passed along to writers and famous actors in Taiwan, and we were scheduled to begin principal photography in August 2021, but the delta variant arrived in Taiwan in May and Taiwan was on lock down till about a month ago. So with that said, the feature was postponed indefinitely with the goal of hoping to begin filming in 2022. I am currently in LA and have decided to hunker down here for the time being and have so far been reconnecting with classmates, alumni, and old colleagues. I'm also planning another comedy sketch series and developing a few ideas, one of which will be set in Florida, mainly because Reb convinced me to film something in FL with the support of FSU.’

Have you or someone you know experienced anxiety or depression?  We’re a documentary production company called Many Particulars and are the team behind the Life In A Day films which are some of the biggest user-generated feature documentaries in history.  This time, we’re inviting you to film yourself or those you love for a beautiful and urgent feature film that will change the way we understand mental health. The aim is to create a resource of empathy and shared knowledge which will also stimulate new research. Your story really does have the power to help others. How can I be involved? Please email: jointhepilot at manyparticulars.com for more
information and how to take part before December 1st 2021.

“ I'm reaching out on behalf of Circle of Confusion with information about our Writers Discovery Fellowship for 2022. Entering its second year, this opportunity will pair six to eight writers with a dedicated mentor to develop a television script (submitted in their application) and learn more about navigating the entertainment industry. All Fellows will be provided with a $10,000 stipend distributed by way of a first look deal with Circle of Confusion Television Studios.There is a more detailed description of the program and requirements in the attached pdf. There were quite a few success stories this year for our inaugural class with half of the Fellows securing representation by the end of the 2021 Fellowship term, and two Fellows were staffed on streamer and network shows. Please find testimonials about the process from the fellows on the FinalDraft Blog here. We look forward to continuing this success in the new year!We encourage any interested members of your organization who have not yet been employed in film or TV to apply during our application window with the pilot they want to develop during the fellowship from December 15th to January 2nd to be considered for the 2022 session beginning in May! The application will go live and requirements will be found on our website's Fellowship page beginning December 15th. If you have any further questions, please reach out to me or you can direct them to fellowship at circleofconfusion.com<mailto:fellowship at circleofconfusion.com>.

Seeking Film School equipment room manger: Looking for a highly motivated self-starterwith excellent interpersonal and organization skills. Ideal candidate will have a background in film production or experience in film equipment rental houses. Minimum requirements for a candidate will be experience in asset management such as, but not limited to film equipment rental houses, warehouses, military supply management, library management or any organization which must distribute, track and maintain large amounts of inventory. College degree not required, but is desirable. Below is the link to the application portal with more information:https://jobs.omni.fsu.edu/psc/sprdhr_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=50434&PostingSeq=1

To all my Jewish friends, I wish you a happy and blessed Hanukkah!   We leave this week for our vacay in the Caribbean – very excited to be going somewhere, especially somewhere warm and sunny!   I won’t have much wifi access so no Warren Report, or even email responses, for a couple of weeks.   But still send me info so we can have a super Warren Report in mid-December!

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – November 25, 2021

Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening in the American Pavilion Virtual Diversity in Cannes Short Film Showcase on November 26th in the Religion category. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) was selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival in Tampa, December 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org/.

Dream Operator (BFA F3 2021 Bretton Miller) was nominated for Best Escapist Film and Best Editing, and Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was nominated for Best Effects and Best Horror Film at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival in Tampa, December 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org/.

What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) was awarded Best Director: Comedy, Best Script: Comedy, and Best Actress: Comedy at the New York City Short Comedy Film Festival on November 21. For more information about this festival, go to https://nycscff.com/.

In the Words of Hemingway (BFA F3 2020 Taylor Ross) was nominated for the Jury Award for Best Student Filmmaker of a Short Film at the Key West Film Festival, November 17-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://kwfilmfest.com.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) and Sugar Mountain (BFA Doc 2021 Javier Barranco) are Official Selections of the Central Florida Cinefest in Orlando, November 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://cfcinefest.org/.

Recipient (MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Chinese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, November 1-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.cafilmfestival.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

First Love (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiara Pomeroy) and Syena and the Orkestra (BFA F3 2020 Kiara Pomeroy) were selected for screening at Black Film Festival Atlanta, December 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/<http://www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/>.

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis), Dream Operator (BFA F3 2021 Bretton Miller) and The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, December 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to melbournefilmfest.com.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) was selected for screening at the Female Voices Rock Film Festival in New York City, December 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.femalevoicesrock.com<http://www.femalevoicesrock.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor), On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis), Withered (MFA QD2 2020 Rita al Cuhna), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski), Dream Operator (BFA F3 2021 Bretton Miller), Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza), Why the Demon Comes (BFA F1 2020 Natalia Coiro), How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu), Shadowboxing (BFA F3 2021 Josh Myers), A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman), Lola’s Land (BFA Thesis 2021 Kate Lopez)  and The (Un)Lucky Ones (BFA Documentary 2020 Sophie Rizzo) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival in Tampa, December 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org/.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Muestra Intergalactica de Cine festival in Saltillo, Mexico, December 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.muestraintergalactica.com<http://www.muestraintergalactica.com>.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) was selected for screening at the Anchorage International Film Festival, December 3-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://anchoragefilmfestival.org/.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) and Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis) were selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando on December 10th. For more information about this festival, go to /www.sick-n-wrong.com.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at the New York International Women Festival, December 11-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.niff.net/.

Fairy Dust (MFA Thesis 2021 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the LGBTQ+ Los Angeles Film Festival on January 14th. For more information about this festival, go to https://lgbtlosangelesfilmfestival.com.

The Ghost of You (BFA F3 2021 Rose Hoover), Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha), This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino), Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis), How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer), What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) and Just Juice (BFA F3 2021 Erica Chow) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival, January 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://dunedinfilmfestival.org/.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), Sugar Mountain (Javier Barranco), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne), Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz), What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale), Nicholas (BFA F3 2021 Aidan Baker) and No Man’s Land (BFA F3 2021 Landon Hogue) were selected for screening at the Jacksonville Film Festival, February 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://jacksonvillefilmfestival.com/2022.

Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) was selected for screening in the 2022 version (dates to be announced later) of San Antonio QFest. For more information about this festival, go to www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html<http://www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html>.

AliEN (MFA Thesis 2021 Shahbaz Khan) was selected for screening at the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org.

 Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Diversity Showcase in Cannes, May 17-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/.