[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 11.12.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Fri Nov 12 12:51:48 EST 2021

We would like to invite you (and your industry colleagues) to join FIRST LOOK FSU. We have curated a FIRST LOOK list of the work of our most recent graduates - their loglines and a bit about the writers and directors behind them. The list is broken down by genre, and will arrive into your in-box weekly over the course of a month.

If you like what you see, you can request a link to their thesis films or their screenplays.If you’re in a position to shepherd new talent, we’d love you to join. If you have industry ties to people you think would appreciate this opportunity, have them get in touch with us. Either way, the contact email is: bmills at film.fsu.edu<mailto:bmills at film.fsu.edu>

>From Jonathan King (MFA 92):  The trailer is out today for SWAN SONG, Concordia’s first scripted feature. Congrats to our brilliant filmmaker Ben Cleary, our amazing cast led by Mahershala Ali, Naomie Harris, Glenn Close and Awkwafina, and our great parters at Apple, Anonymouse, Know Wonder, and Assembly.  https://tv.apple.com/us/movie/swan-song/umc.cmc.2u5ulzjcxh7e50uhichjjlsv6

Trilith Studios and NEP Group, Inc.<https://www.facebook.com/NEPGroupInc/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWpOocQHrhLJcLR0WI9OT5hsm9K97Yrx2-AHXaFuzDuDETyDrRI5AnKLq2VbfXQtJBvHFJ4IDdK0r9g1qsQRnPLLZCVYgo3zOkzDSsursfYYC1jOjYhS024dVxdXfAOoL0QGHJFKgVhbZ_CbhJE8xe_GElzox9dygkOgHsDXbxw14EBPQD-PrLyqg6ZaUAMI5OIRYEiS0h40ObN7iOofJEl&__tn__=kK-y-R> Virtual Studios are unveiling the first Prysm Stage. This state-of-the-art LED volume will be built and operated by Lux Machina Consulting<https://www.facebook.com/LuxMachinaConsulting?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWpOocQHrhLJcLR0WI9OT5hsm9K97Yrx2-AHXaFuzDuDETyDrRI5AnKLq2VbfXQtJBvHFJ4IDdK0r9g1qsQRnPLLZCVYgo3zOkzDSsursfYYC1jOjYhS024dVxdXfAOoL0QGHJFKgVhbZ_CbhJE8xe_GElzox9dygkOgHsDXbxw14EBPQD-PrLyqg6ZaUAMI5OIRYEiS0h40ObN7iOofJEl&__tn__=-%5DK-y-R>’s team of virtual production experts.   As part of our new Creative Technologies District, the Prysm stage is bringing world-class virtual production to Atlanta, Georgia under the direction of entertainment industry veteran Cliff Plumer; Phill Galler, Zach Alexander and the Lux Machina team, our very own visionary leader and CEO, Frank Patterson, and ILM veteran - our Director of Creative Technologies, Barry Williams.

The Student Filmmaker Survival Guide by Josh Ellis (MFA 03)  This text familiarizes readers with the critical concepts and processes involved in the production of a film or television show. It helps budding filmmakers better understand the operations of a film set, develop valuable work habits, and contribute meaningfully to a production.  Learn more at http://ow.ly/YAZO50GEO49<http://ow.ly/YAZO50GEO49?fbclid=IwAR1t32kfkG6tSApfKu9eM5iOYIdurehQRu-jN0zuFUjMqB6CWTRlN0ENJ_c>   CONGRATULATIONS, JOSH!

>From Heidi Angle (MFA 92)  “It’s a New Day in the Old West..is a spec job I did based on the question:  What would today’s technology look like in the hands of the old west. Probably not much different…(-:  Definitely a passion project! Loved every minute of creating it, from concept through post of the stills and a brief video. All rights reserved.  Hope Productions Unlimited, Inc. at 2021”  www.hopepro.biz<http://www.hopepro.biz/>
Photos: https://www.linkedin.com/posts/heidi-jeanne-angle-6b9649_oldwest-cowboys-technology-activity-6861730575372296192-nW9u
Video. https://www.linkedin.com/posts/heidi-jeanne-angle-6b9649_photo-journey-hope-productions-unlimited-activity-6861731810032812032-aS9q

"From Yalan Hu (MFA 19). I received the news that my O1 visa for extraordinary talents has been APPROVED!! The waiting process felt like a lifetime. I'll be working as a director/producer and accepting jobs in directing/producing departments from now on. It is very difficult to see that over the years, most of the Chinese students have gone back to China, as more visa restrictions were imposed on Chinese students. I hope my time in the states can last a little longer and a little stronger, enabling me to make movies here!"

I’m so honored to have helped craft this important doc with a team of talented editors, led by the brilliant director Mo Bolaji<https://www.facebook.com/moholah157?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZVLi8j_r2f7MKjNfl19KBh4KanF1opn3k_KP9FVTcJo2yLLYo3VoC8HoF8p7Do0ooeZN7jJcSf3ECumkQ0FrwR_BQ9zUiBNYgFN57lRaymrJfq9AUQJtRh5IzG5LE1EKbI&__tn__=-%5DK-R>.  Feels pretty special to have a movie playing the Tivoli today! If you are in St. Louis we screen at the St. Louis International Film Festival on Saturday Nov. 6th at 4:30pm.”

>From Will Harrison (BFA 19) “I got a new job! Excited to announce that I'll be joining Brown Bag Marketing<https://www.facebook.com/BrownBagMktg/?__cft__%5B0%5D=AZWbzZFfxXJPU_qPJ0QjQDtPhffeqY6jiGJB0nvBPeIOY_6DvITaxMGYnCO9cdHn1RNrFCx091ldNGg3S3aXRMkWgd11-sBCQwr_75LndtCy0TstrKKRu13sHMRitXmgk52K6NkzJzWyWApcpoQxbbdA&__tn__=kK-R> in Atlanta as their new Senior Digital Content Producer. So excited to join the team!!”

>From Billy Hanson (BFA ) “Was thrilled to do an interview with @voyagelamag to discuss my story, my work, and my time in LA. Please excuse any Dad jokes and pontificating, as they were inescapable.
http://voyagela.com/.../life-work-with-billy-hanson-of.../<http://voyagela.com/interview/life-work-with-billy-hanson-of-mid-city/?fbclid=IwAR0TJULpPeyYVFI9NevYYX-EqKyXvTKl-voitjpmK4SCxCKbyoWVKi94KxA>

Seeking Film School equipment room manger: Looking for a highly motivated self-starter with excellent interpersonal and organization skills. Ideal candidate will have a background in film production or experience in film equipment rental houses. Minimum requirements for a candidate will be experience in asset management such as, but not limited to film equipment rental houses, warehouses, military supply management, library management or any organization which must distribute, track and maintain large amounts of inventory. College degree not required, but is desirable. Below is the link to the application portal with more information:https://jobs.omni.fsu.edu/psc/sprdhr_er/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=50434&PostingSeq=1

https://vcu.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/270?c=vcu<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/vcu.csod.com/ux/ats/careersite/1/home/requisition/270?c=vcu__;!!PhOWcWs!jTuJU_agW5kArf2720blTfHDKL8KQI_XANxHU9o25fmmYSBGhZT2Mxwwpc3PNoKtGbc$>

>From Elana Wakeman (MFA 97) “OxFilm is currently recruiting for an experienced, creative, visionary, and results-focused Executive Director to lead all aspects of the organization and its flagship program, the annual Oxford Film Festival.   For full description and instructions to apply, please visit our site: https://www.ox-film.com/executive-director-for-oxfilm<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.ox-film.com/executive-director-for-oxfilm__;!!PhOWcWs!mjZmdN9Z21iFmSc_rUKqjPfWRYpRN75uT0MpYrfgK_aybE1C3TqNrB-ywhDv870G-Ng$>

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – November 11, 2021

Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne) was selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 4-21, and are semi-finalists in the College Film Competition - Documentary Section. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was a finalist at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, October 25-31. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net.

Nicholas (BFA F3 2021 Aidan Baker) was selected for screening at the Jacksonville Film Festival, February 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://jacksonvillefilmfestival.com/2022.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening at the Rome International Film Festival in Georgia, November 11-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.romeinternationalfilmfestival.com.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) was selected for screening at the Hollywood Florida Film Festival, November 6-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.hollywoodfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.hollywoodfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Wolves (BFA F3 2021 Travae Davis) was selected for screening at the American Black Festival in New York City, November 3-14. For more information about this festival, go to www.abff.com<http://www.abff.com>.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) and Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz) were selected for screening at the Fort Lauderdale International Film Festival, November 4-21, and are semi-finalists in the College Film Competition - Documentary Section. For more information about this festival, go to www.fliff.com.

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Jack Owen DP/Costa Karalis DR) was selected for screening at Camerimage in Torun, Poland, November 13-20. For more information about this festival, go to https://camerimage.pl/en/camerimage-2021/informacje-ogolne.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor), of our trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross), On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis), La Perrera (MFA Thesis 2021 Alex Thiel) and Days of Glory (BFA F3 2021 Melissa Calderon) were selected for screening at the Brouhaha Film & Video Showcase in Orlando, Florida, November 20-21. For more information about this festival, go to www.enzian.org.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Reel Recovery Film Festival and Symposium in Studio City, November 5-11 and The Fifth Day is a Finalist. For more information about this festival, go to www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org<http://www.reelrecoveryfilmfestival.org>.

Death at Dinner (MFA Thesis 2018 Bethany Miller) was selected for screening at the Franklin International Indie Film Festival in Tennessee, November 9-13. For more information about this festival, go to fiiff.org.

The Flip Side (BFA Doc 2018 Will Stead) and In the Words of Hemingway (BFA F3 2020 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the Key West Film Festival, November 17-21. For more information about this festival, go to http://kwfilmfest.com.

Roofing in July (BFA F3 2021 Cooper Shapiro) was selected for screening at GainesCon in St. Petersburg, November 19-20. For more information about this con, go to gainescon.com.

Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford) was selected for screening at the African Film Festival Atlanta, November 19-21. For more information about this festival, go to https://africanfilmfestatl.com/.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021.

What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) was selected for screening at the New York City Short Comedy Film Festival on November 21. For more information about this festival, go to https://nycscff.com/.

Irreplaceable: Stories of Katrina (BFA Documentary 2020 Bretton Miller), FO(U)R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James), Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz), What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale), A Bloody Good Time (BFA Thesis 2021 Kaitlin Corwin) and Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the Carrboro Film Fest in North Carolina, November 19-22. For more information about this festival, go to www.carrborofilm.org<http://www.carrborofilm.org>.

On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts) and Sugar Mountain (BFA Doc 2021 Javier Barranco) are Official Selections of the Central Florida Cinefest in Orlando, November 27-28. For more information about this festival, go to https://cfcinefest.org/.

Recipient (MFA Thesis 2021 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Chinese American Film Festival in Los Angeles, November 1-30. For more information about this festival, go to www.cafilmfestival.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/<http://www.abqindiefestival.com/>.

First Love (BFA Thesis 2021 Kiara Pomeroy) and Syena and the Orkestra (BFA F3 2020 Kiara Pomeroy) were selected for screening at Black Film Festival Atlanta, December 1-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/<http://www.blackfilmfestivalatlanta.com/>.

On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis), Dream Operator (BFA F3 2021 Bretton Miller) and The Muse (MFA D1 2020 Juliana White) were selected for screening at the Melbourne Independent Filmmakers Festival in Florida, December 2-4. For more information about this festival, go to melbournefilmfest.com.

Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz) was selected for screening at the Female Voices Rock Film Festival in New York City, December 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to www.femalevoicesrock.com<http://www.femalevoicesrock.com>.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Capture the Flag (BFA F3 2021 Connie O’Connor), On the Third Day of an International Manhunt (BFA Thesis 2021 Costa Karalis), Withered (MFA QD2 2020 Rita al Cuhna), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski), Dream Operator (BFA F3 2021 Bretton Miller), Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Miss Flores (BFA Doc 2021 Juliana Toloza), Why the Demon Comes (BFA F1 2020 Natalia Coiro), How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer), Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu), Shadowboxing (BFA F3 2021 Josh Myers) and The (Un)Lucky Ones (BFA Documentary 2020 Sophie Rizzo) were selected for screening at the Tampa Bay Underground Film Festival in Tampa, December 2-5. For more information about this festival, go to http://tbuff.org/.

Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez) was selected for screening at the Muestra Intergalactica de Cine festival in Saltillo, Mexico, December 6-12. For more information about this festival, go to www.muestraintergalactica.com<http://www.muestraintergalactica.com>.

The Castle Builder (BFA Doc 2021 Tristan Owen/Thomas McDonald) was selected for screening at the Anchorage International Film Festival, December 3-12. For more information about this festival, go to https://anchoragefilmfestival.org/.

Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen) and Chinook (BFA F3 2020 Costa Karalis) were selected for screening at the Sick ‘n’ Wrong Film Festival in Orlando on December 10th. For more information about this festival, go to /www.sick-n-wrong.com.

How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at the New York International Women Festival, December 11-12. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.niff.net/.

Fairy Dust (MFA Thesis 2021 Sarah Gambles) was selected for screening at the LGBTQ+ Los Angeles Film Festival on January 14th. For more information about this festival, go to https://lgbtlosangelesfilmfestival.com.

The Ghost of You (BFA F3 2021 Rose Hoover), Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), A Fight for Starry Night (BFA Documentary 2021 Beatriz Arrocha), This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino), Midnight Screams (BFA Thesis 2021 Sean Menendez), Moonshot (BFA Thesis 2021 Chase Davis), How to Dance with Monsters (BFA F3 2021 Megan Baer), What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) and Just Juice (BFA F3 2021 Erica Chow) were selected for screening at the Dunedin International Film Festival, January 13-16. For more information about this festival, go to http://dunedinfilmfestival.org/.

Shadowboxing (BFA Thesis 2021 Josh Myers), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), On the Sidelines (BFA Doc 2021 Valerie Betts), Sugar Mountain (Javier Barranco), Piccolo is Black (BFA Doc 2021 Ryan Joiner/Landon Watford), The Fifth Day (BFA F3 2021 Matthew Romanski) and A Fight for Starry Night (Beatriz Arrocha) were selected for screening at the Central Florida Film Festival (CENFLO) in Mount Dora, Florida, January 21-23, 2022. For more information about this festival, go to www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com<http://www.centralfloridafilmfestival.com>.

Inside My House (BFA Documentary 2021 Gabby Carbone/Andrew Williams), Breaking Vanilla (BFA Doc 2021 Hollis Rosenkranz), This Takes Time (BFA Documentary 2021 Indie DiMartino), Sophie in Furbyland (BFA Doc 2021 Pacey Hansen), Full-Timers (BFA F3 2021 Andrew Bourne), Pink is the Color of the Ocean (BFA Thesis 2021 Summer Schantz), What the Heck is Going On? (BFA Thesis 2021 Alex Bale) and No Man’s Land (BFA F3 2021 Landon Hogue) were selected for screening at the Jacksonville Film Festival, February 4-6. For more information about this festival, go to https://jacksonvillefilmfestival.com/2022.

Of Our Trespasses (BFA Thesis 2021 Taylor Ross) was selected for screening in the 2022 version (dates to be announced later) of San Antonio QFest. For more information about this festival, go to www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html<http://www.pridesanantonio.org/sa-qfest-film-festival.html>.

AliEN (MFA Thesis 2021 Shahbaz Khan) was selected for screening at the Seattle Asian American Film Festival, March 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to www.seattleaaff.org.

 Life in the Between (BFA Thesis 2020 Siara-Lauren Brown) was selected for screening at the American Pavilion Diversity Showcase in Cannes, May 17-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://www.ampav.com/index.php/student-programs/cannes-emerging-filmmaker-showcase/.