[Film-bfad2] [Film-BFA] [Film-Students] Warren Report 5.27.21

Meryl Warren via Film-Students via Film-BFA film-bfa at lists.fsu.edu
Thu May 27 12:47:12 EDT 2021

Paramount Acquires 'The Time Runner', Wes Ball (BFA 02)  Will Direct; Steve Desmond & Michael Sherman Will Write The Script -<https://movies.mxdwn.com/news/paramount-acquires-the-time-runner-wes-ball-will-direct-steve-desmond-michael-sherman-will-write-the-script/>
The Time Runner, a novella written by Michael Sherman, has been acquired by Paramount that Wes Ball will direct. The script will be written by Steve Desmond and Sherman. Ball will produce the film under his Oddball Entertainment banner with partner Joe Hartwick Jr. The plot of the movie is unknown at the moment.  https://tinyurl.com/4rw6udcm

From Wes Ball (BFA 02) “The Time Runner is  one of a couple projects I have in development at Paramount where we have our studio deal. It actually began as a short story one of the writers did on his own and I was lucky enough to get an advance look. I’m finding that is becoming a trend out here actually — screenwriters writing short story’s they sell and then go on to adapt as a screenplay. This movie is a fairly small character story about grief but it also has this big visual ambition in terms of space exploration and adventure. I typically describe it to people as All is Lost mixed with Interstellar and Gravity.  The two screenwriters will be starting a draft soon and we’ll see how it goes! That title is definitely gonna change though. Ha ha.  Otherwise we’re still inching forward on our Planet of the Apes movie, which is incredibly exciting and ambitious. Fingers crossed we push that big boulder over the hump this year. Then we have some other movies we’re juggling with Amblin, Universal, and Netflix. Trying to stay busy!”

Hope many of you took time to watch the BFA documentaries on YouTube last week.   For your entertainment this week, I recommend watching the BFA F3 Screening:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao6UbG6Poxg&t=1646s   I know you will find these films made during COVID adhering to industry safety guidelines great holiday weekend entertainment!

From Rashi Bahri (MFA 03) “ Shoonya CEO Rashi Bahri Chitnis Winner in Spirit of Entrepreneurship Awards.   I feel truly honored to be named the winner in the 11th Annual Spirit of Entrepreneurship Award under Science and Technology. Organized by Women Economic Ventures, the award ceremony was held on May 21st. It was truly an inspiring moment to be among the 30 finalists and listen to the stories of the outstanding women business owners. Here are the details about it the eventhttps://www.classy.org/event/spirit-of-entrepreneurship-awards/e329679Shoonya, our company's mission is to foster the next generation of global citizens by providing a fun entertaining and educational platform for children, to learn multiple languages and world cultures. All of our cartoon characters are designed for inclusivity and cultural representation. Please check out our work at :
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5469a24fe4b03457338df4bc/t/60ac3e2103d4282f2c463480/1621900849190/Shoonya_Press_Kit_2021.pdf<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/static1.squarespace.com/static/5469a24fe4b03457338df4bc/t/60ac3e2103d4282f2c463480/1621900849190/Shoonya_Press_Kit_2021.pdf__;!!PhOWcWs!j1ON5tHsSOFzJs1laSAUoANlNA6P8qFSl-rDmECBJyyjOPgXK5CUTsa3VV-4O_c$>

This last Friday, Cooper Shapiro (BFA 2022) was awarded the Vanilla Ice Music Video Award for his music video Pushhh. Written & directed by Shapiro and produced by Jaelyn Ellis (BFA 2022) in the middle of last summer, Pushhh follows two brothers as they build a robotic life form in their garage. The set was built by production designer Pierce Ryan (BFA 2022) with help from Nico Weaver and Grayson Durham (BFA 2022). The video was shot by Travaé Davis (BFA 2022) with Colby Blackwill (MFA 2021) on camera team and Andrew Bourne (BFA 2022) as gaffer. Pushhh’s color was designed by Jack Owen (BFA 2021). The production went without a hitch (despite all of last year’s challenges) with Connie O’Connor (BFA 2022) as first assistant director and Melissa Calderon (BFA 2022) as line producer. Check out Pushhh – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6xGqGRA7xo

From Paul Tackett (MFA 15) “An indie feature that I was the gaffer on, alongside several other alums who each worked in various roles (Tiara Olson (BFA 18), Scott Marino (BFA 19), Hunter Truman BFA 09)), has been doing very well recently.  Dramarama has received multiple nominations & awards, including:

Audience Award – Novos Cinemas

Jury Award Best Comedy Feature – Woods Hole Film Festival

Outstanding Screenplay – Tallgrass Film Festival

Best LGBTQIA+ Feature - Oxford Film Festival

Another feature film that I was B Camera Operator for just released their trailer. Domino: Battle of the Bones stars Snoop Dogg, David Arquette, & NBA All-Star Baron Davis. The film hits theaters on June 11, 2021. Based in LA, I'm now putting all my focus into cinematography. Currently working on shooting a series of 70 videos for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. I've also released a new reel, which you can check out at www.paulztackett.com<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.paulztackett.com__;!!PhOWcWs!j7WutFtSbsGA8WFARlZDcnemXyP_CShvN4jADHCLZY0xxoH2cicCL3A7Uz__9OE$>

From Sylwia Dudzinska (MFA 09) “….if anyone needs to sublet a room for a month while getting their sea legs in LA I have a room and am happy to host short term.   310-717-4319 sdudzinska at gmail.com<mailto:sdudzinska at gmail.com>  Also!  Happy to announce I’ll be the Key 2nd on the Bosch spin off til the end of October :)

From Lauren Hammond (BFA ADA 16) “Hope you guys and the rest of the film school family have all been safe and well this past year. I've transitioned over to remote freelance/project-based work and am really enjoying the flexibility. Currently I'm rigging and animating some short, interstitial-type things for one of Netflix Animation's shows. I also recently moved to Atlanta for the chance to explore the area and to hopefully get to know some of the animation scene and folks out here.
From Grace Hendley (BFA 11) “It has most certainly been a strange year, I'm coming out of this season feeling very grateful and fortunate for many things including my health and my family's health. I'm still based in Los Angeles, however I did ride out a portion of the pandemic working remotely from my Grandmother's house in Arizona, she lives alone and it was nice to keep each other company.  I've been working in the Visual Effects industry for the last 5 years and have spent the past 2 working as a VFX Coordinator in the Series Department at Netflix. It's been an exciting and interesting ride, I've learned a lot about both the vfx industry and the entertainment industry as a whole. I've been lucky enough to work remotely this past year and will be returning to office life in the fall. I'm looking forward to finally being able to travel again and plan to see my family in Georgia, after more than a year apart, this summer. The FSU Film School and the students it serves have crossed my mind during this season, I can't imagine the kind of pivoting and reimagining that had to be done to keep classes going and accommodate the educational needs of the students. I hope that the school is or is starting to get back into in person classes, there's nothing better than the hands-on learning that the film program provides! “
From Hunter Truman (BFA 15) “Things are starting to return to something resembling normal out here in LA. Work is still slower but it has been picking up now that vaccinations are getting more common. I think by the time grads move out in the summer things they should hopefully be able to adjust pretty quickly. Things are going well out here! Chris Leary is directing a feature in the middle of June that I am producing and Victor Ingles is shooting. We are in pre-pro for it now. It’s micro budget with minimal locations, small cast and crew and we’re really excited for it! If you know of any grads (especially on the camera/lighting side but also just anyone interested) who are about to move out and might want to volunteer any days, we’d love to get in touch!”

From Chris Leary (BFA 15). “Writing because I'm producing my first feature out in LA and the FSU alumni recruitment has begun. Going to be a very small crew, all fully vaxxed, etc. It's entirely self-funded so we don't have the budget to pay anyone but if there are any recent graduates who are new to LA that might be interested in volunteering to come help-out and connect with some older alumni please send them my info, or feel free to send me there's and I can reach out.  cjl12f at my.fsu.edu<mailto:cjl12f at my.fsu.edu>

From Garrard Whatley (BFA 93) “Pro Tools Expert asked me and one other mix engineer to weigh in on how to get ADR to sound better in film and TV mixes, and the result is the article they posted today, at: https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/production-expert-1/how-to-get-adr-to-sit-well-in-a-mix/  Hope this can be helpful to any potential sound editors and mixers in the program - if there are any questions for me, please reach me at my Seismic Post Audio email: gwhatley at seismicpostaudio.com<mailto:gwhatley at seismicpostaudio.com>

From Sandra Valde (BFA 97) “I wanted to let you know that a film I was the cinematographer on, PLAN B will be premiering on Hulu and in select theaters this Friday, May 28. https://press.hulu.com/shows/plan-b/  I just finished shooting Season 2 of the L Word: Generation Q for Showtime.  I have moved on to Season 1 of a series for Amazon, WITH LOVE with showrunner Gloria Calderon Kellett (ONE DAY AT A TIME, DEVIOUS MAIDS).  So I am keeping busy during this crazy time and having a great time doing it. Luckily these shows are based in Los Angeles, so I am able to spend quality time with my husband and 7-year old daughter, Mazzy.”

From Siara-Lauren Brown (BFA 20) “My thesis film, Life in the Between, a drama following a six-year-old Sarruh in biracial identity limbo, is available to watch for another week through the link below! It was NFFTY’s Film of the Week Spotlight and I had the opportunity to reflect on my film’s writing and filming process. Check out my film and the podcastepisode, wherever you listen to them! https://tinyurl.com/v9y3887r

From Carissa Dorson (BFA 11): "I published a photography book called "Conversations with Dad," and Skylight Books is hosting a book signing with me at Alcove Cafe on Saturday June 5th between 3-5pm!  I'd love to see FSU alums there!  If you'd like to come, you can RSVP to the Facebook Event<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/fb.me/e/QFuFKHfh__;!!PhOWcWs!k7FFxojvsXmB__7wn6osNNnhzfMxGRJLlPnZnuKwWhesFehiGTbmRP4DgE5F9SU$>.  You can also pre-order a copy from my website: https://www.carissadorson.com/conversationswithdad<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.carissadorson.com/conversationswithdad__;!!PhOWcWs!k7FFxojvsXmB__7wn6osNNnhzfMxGRJLlPnZnuKwWhesFehiGTbmRP4D25y1hWo$> Thanks for your support!"
From Christian Klein (BFA ADA 16) “It's been a week of great news for both personal and professional projects. My short film, Sweet Nothings<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.instagram.com/sweetnothingsmov/__;!!PhOWcWs!gDZk39k_aPpw1QygzLUhqxbaJU8gAWv-2_3oEMBSvyupCWjuCrOcG6OLGVYEBDM$>, had its Los Angeles premiere (in a real movie theater!!) at the 21st annual FirstGlance Film Festival<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.facebook.com/FirstGlanceFilmFests/__;!!PhOWcWs!gDZk39k_aPpw1QygzLUhqxbaJU8gAWv-2_3oEMBSvyupCWjuCrOcG6OLKPNT31s$>, and also won two awards: Best Scifi/Fantasy and Best Special Effects. On the professional side, the three animated Dolly Parton music videos<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oY1YHQFYO4__;!!PhOWcWs!gDZk39k_aPpw1QygzLUhqxbaJU8gAWv-2_3oEMBSvyupCWjuCrOcG6OL0qc4_6M$> I was a lead artist on with Ingenuity Studios last Christmas just received a Golden Telly Award<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.tellyawards.com/winners/2021/online/series-series-animation/a-holly-dolly-christmas/249126/?fbclid=IwAR07C8iSYTR9GL63WBl3Cy9mkLFMsTqu9pT8aIC_zdcrjTP607rKVAftCqw__;!!PhOWcWs!gDZk39k_aPpw1QygzLUhqxbaJU8gAWv-2_3oEMBSvyupCWjuCrOcG6OL1h-RBws$> for Online Series. I'm feeling super grateful to be able to play in the worlds of both live action and animation!”

From Ryan Brown (BFA 15) “A friend is producing a music video for a fairly large and popular band in Florida and is seeking a PA with a car, preferably local to the Orlando area or somewhere nearby. July 4-July 11, possibly not everyday during that stretch. Would be great for a new alum. If you’re available and interested you can email me at ryanmartinbrown at gmail.com.<mailto:ryanmartinbrown at gmail.com.>”

Nice article on Shannan Johnson (MFA Writing 08) in Voyage Houston:  Rising Stars: Meet Shannan E. Johnson:  https://tinyurl.com/2kkwymma

From Dylan Zivitz (MFA 18) “I was recently hired as the 2nd Unit gaffer on the "Real Housewives of MIami", for 3 months starting at the end of this month. I currently live in Manhattan with Nathan Cohen (BFA 2018), in a 3 bedroom on the UWS near central park. My room will be open for the time I will be away so if anyone needs a place to crash in the city, or they want to get their feet wet while looking for a place here (recent grads etc.) they can reach out to me directly and we can try and work something out (May 30-Aug  30).
My phone number is (954) 790-1871 and email is dylan.zivitz at gmail.com<mailto:dylan.zivitz at gmail.com>
Feel free to reach out to me anytime. I would recommend texting me first with your name so I know who it is (I get a lot of spam calls recently).”

From Brian Barrow (BFA 09) “I'm in post now and have been coloring and editing the past few years. Despite the past year being what it was, I had a bright spot getting to cut several episodes of the new Nickelodeon series Drama Club. It's a really fun show in the style of Parks and Rec that focuses around the antics of a high school Drama Club. Since wrapping on that show I've been taking some time off to travel and enjoy some long overdue visits with family. “

Wishing everyone a fun filled Memorial Day Weekend!  We have friends spending the weekend with us at St. Marks so we are hoping for hiking, fishing, biking, lots of wine and good food!

Brenda’s Screenings & Awards Update – May 27, 2021

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) won First Place and Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) won Second Place in the Palm Beach Student Showcase of Films ceremony held virtually on May 21. Aaron Brooks received a Special Recognition Award for his Production Design on All the Young Dudes.

The Flip Side (BFA Documentary 2018 Will Stead) won Best Documentary, Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) won Best Fantasy Film, and Shaken (BFA F3 2019 Chayse Banks) won Best Horror Film at the Pensacon Short Film Festival in Pensacola, May 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to Pensacon.com.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening at the PopCon International Film Festival in Indianapolis, Indiana, July 9-11. For more information about this festival, go to popcon.us.

It’s Over (MFA D1 2020 Charlie Andelman) was selected for screening at the Big Teeth Small Shorts Film Festival in Chicago on June 17. For more information about this festival, go to www.bigteethsmallshorts.com<http://www.bigteethsmallshorts.com>.

Sound Off (BFA Documentary 2020 Megan Baer) was selected for screening at 15 Minutes of Fame, to be held virtually, June 19-27. For more information about this festival, go to www.etheridgeproductions.com/.

FO(U)R (MFA Thesis 2020 Ashley James) was selected for screening and will receive an Honourable Mention for the Jury Award at the Breakthroughs Film Festival in Toronto, June 16-20. For more information about this festival, go to breakthroughsfilmfestival.com.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Chattanooga Film Festival, June 24-29. For more information about this festival, go to www.chattfilmfest.org/<http://www.chattfilmfest.org/>.

Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) was selected for screening at the Orlando Film Festival, October 28 – November 4. For more information about this festival, go to www.orlandofilmfest.com.

Farewell Transmission (MFA D1 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for the May edition of FlickFair, a monthly online festival. For more information about this festival, go to www.flickfair.com<http://www.flickfair.com>.

Perfect Selfie (MFA QD2 2020 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the Myrtle Beach International Film Festival at a time TBD in May or June. For more information about this festival, go to http://myrtlebeachfilmfestival.com.

The Last Summer (BFA F3 2019 Will Stead), A Colourful Red (BFA Documentary 2019 Costa Karalis/Jack Owen), Grown Boy (BFA Thesis 2019 Tyler Knutt), Becoming Wonder Woman (BFA Documentary 2019 Chase Davis)  and Unconverting (BFA Documentary 2019 Taylor Ross) were selected for screening at the American Pavilion Emerging Filmmaker Showcase at Cannes in July, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to www.ampav.com<http://www.ampav.com>.

There’s Something Under the Dock (BFA F3 2020 Evan Sparks) and BOBO (BFA F3 2020 Alex Bale) were selected for screening at the Crimson Screen Horror Film Fest in Charleston, South Carolina, May 21-23. For more information about this festival, go to www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com<http://www.crimsonscreenfilmfest.com>.

My Theory on Ghosts (MFA QD2 2020 Eli Barry) was selected for screening at the Southeast Regional Film Festival in Jacksonville, May 28-30, 2021. For more information about this festival, go to ww.serfilmfestival.com/.

The Rope Warrior (BFA Documentary 2020 Andrew Bourne/Daniel Feldman) was invited to screen at the Toronto Jewish Film Festival, June 3-13. For more information about this festival, go to tjff.com.

Just the IT Guy (BFA F3 2019 Wesley Hayes) was rescheduled for screening at the Gasparilla Film Festival in Tampa, June 10-13 after last year’s festival was postponed. For more information about this festival, go to www.gasparillafilmfestival.com<http://www.gasparillafilmfestival.com>.

All Boys Die (MFA Thesis 2019 Julio Vargas) was selected for screening at the Sene Film and Music Fest in Cranston, Rhode Island, June 17-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.senefest.com<http://www.senefest.com>.

Step Family (MFA Thesis 2020 Jessica Bouyer) was selected for screening at the Charlotte Black Film Festival, June 15-20. For more information about this festival, go to charlotteblackfilmfestival.com.

In the Words of Hemingway (BFA F3 2020 Taylor Ross) is a Semi-Finalist for Florida Shorts, a new online film festival to be held June 30. For more information about this festival, go to floridashorts.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the Vancouver Independent Film Festival in Canada on July 9. For more information about this festival, go to https://vancouverindiefestival.com/.

Step Family (MFA Thesis 2020 Jessica Bouyer) and Viola (MFA Thesis 2019 Ellen Marmol DR/Alex McFry PR)were selected for screening at the Picture’s Up Film Festival in Los Angeles, July 9-18. For more information about this festival, go to https://picturesupfestival.com/.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead), Dairy Land (BFA Documentary 2020 Cooper Shapiro), Pine Mountain Overnight (BFA Thesis 2020 Geena Hernandez) and Jon Valentine (BFA F3 2020 Chase Davis) were selected for screening at the Smoky Mountain Film Festival in Gatlinburg, Tennessee on June 10-24. For more information about this festival, go to www.smokymountainfilmfest.com<http://www.smokymountainfilmfest.com>.

All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) was selected for screening Brighton Rocks in the UK, July 24-25. For more information about this festival, go to rocksfestivals.com.

Dummy Love (BFA F3 2019 Evan Barber) was selected for screening at Comic-Con International Independent Film Festival in San Diego, July 22-25 of 2021, because there will be no screening at this year’s Comic-Con at Home edition of the festival. For more information about this event, go to www.comic-con.org<http://www.comic-con.org>.

Have a Nice Night (MFA Thesis 2020 Danny Malone) was selected for screening at the Long Island International Film Expo, August 10-15. For more information about this festival, go to longislandfilm.com.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) and All the Young Dudes (BFA Thesis 2020 Will Stead) were selected for screening at the Rochester Film Festival in upstate New York, August 26-28. For more information about this festival, go to http://rochesterfilmfest.org.

The Patrizi’s (BFA Documentary 2020 Rae Jenkins) is an official selection of Roman Cinema Doc 2021 in Rome, Italy, festival to be held in September, exact dates TBD. For more information about this festival, go to http://roma.cinemadoc.it/.

Smell the Trees (MFA Thesis 2020 Breyionna Flowers) was selected for screening and is an award nominee at the Toronto International Nollywood Film Festival, September 18-19. For more information about this festival, go to www.tinff.net.

Love Therapy (MFA D1 2019 Di Lu) was selected for screening at the ME Film Festival in Milledgeville and Eatonton in Georgia, November 1-7. For more information about this festival, go to mefestival.com.

Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly (MFA QD2 2020 Sarah Gambles) Irresistible (MFA D1 2019 Sarah Gambles) and Deep Space (MFA D2 2019 Ashley James) were selected for screening at jellyFEST in Los Angeles, November 20-21, 2021. Deep Space is a Finalist, and Darling Don’t Cry, It’s Ugly and Irresistible are both Semi-Finalists. For more information about this festival, go to www.thejellyfest.com<http://www.thejellyfest.com>.

Sight (MFA Thesis 2017 Neen Talbott) was invited to screen at Festival Panoramic in Barcelona and Granollers, Spain, October 15 – November 28. For more information about this festival, go to https://panoramicgranollers.cat/en/.

A Righteous Man (BFA Thesis 2020 Zach Freeman) was selected for screening at the ABQ Indie Fest in Albuquerque, New Mexico, date to be determined, and is nominated for Best Cinematography. For more information about this festival, go to www.abqindiefestival.com/.